Fireball XL5 - The legendary Airfix kit + Resin copy FINISHED AT LAST

Am I enjoying this nostalgia trip.  :popcorn:  I reckon I bugged the behind of Ma, Pa and the rest of the family to get one of these.  They came with a little badge as well and I recall my one ended up dropping off my jersey, between the criss cross rails and down onto the train tracks out of the Waverley Station at Edinburgh.  Traumatised to this day :D

Whats next Pete?  After Fireball XL5 I mean.  Supercar?  Stingray?

22 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Whats next Pete?  After Fireball XL5 I mean.  Supercar?  Stingray?

Much as I love the Anderson stuff, I'm afraid it's back to the maschinen kreiger scratchbuilds.

I have ideas for them stacked up in my head, just not enough time to get them built.

Besides, I have boxes full of bits and actually enjoy modelling on the cheap!

• Like 2

Something that is missing from Junior, and I'm nowhere near it yet. Each of the four fins has two attitutude jet/rocket pipes in line with the stripes. These protrude beyond the trailing edges of the fins, and stop level with the rear bulkhead. I shall be using some fine tube for that job.

fireball_junior_i_w.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/9/2018 at 10:29 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I shall be using some fine tube for that job.

And I won't. I keep knocking the fins off as it is.

Another thing I've come up against, the stripes on the wingtip pods.

Aft of the scallop, the inner stripe is narrower, as it passes over the 'wing,'

than the outer stripe. I have to assume this is correct?

It's been a bit of a nightmare fitting these inner stripes anyway. 

I measured and cut out a 'wing' profile but they've not settled well and

some touching up with paint will be needed. I just hope I can match it properly. :sad:

• Like 1

I got the wingtip pod stripes all fitted today. There will be touching up to do.

I also fitted the fin stripes.

As printed the leading edge is at the wrong angle. So it needs some careful measuring and cutting before they get dunked.

Obviously they need to be lined up front and rear, and at the front they won't  wrap around the leading edge

(they're too thick, it's too sharp) so a dab of paint will be required there too.

And, BTW, only soak one piece at a time. They detach quickly, and with the tricky fit of some pieces you don't want them sitting around wet for too long.

Having said all that, the decals are still miles better than some mainstream kits I've built!

• Like 1

Got some modelling time today.

Ready for the blue stripes on the main fuselage.

You may, or may not have noticed, but the blue stripes, although printed with the correct spacing, are actually on the decal sheet that is printed on white rather than transparent.

So they need to be individually cut out. Care and a new number 11 blade, enter stage left.

I fitted the centre stripe first. This loops around to the centre of the observatory bubble.

Sounds simple, but, the fuselage has a taper, so you need to be parallel to the fwd end of the fuselage.

This takes a little time and spit for lubrication (best thing for sliding decals). Then trim both ends at the edge of the bubble. Allow to dry, you do not want to disturb it!

I'm doing two so I learnt all this from the first one. Again, only dunk one stripe at a time.

Later today I went back and added a second stripe to each Fireball. Obviously, now parallel to strip one so a bit easier.

I'll fit the third stripes next time. No pictures as yet, they'd be a bit boring anyway.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Any progress lately?

Apologies, I finally got a couple of quick pictures last weekend, and here they are

ZMsYsUu.jpg

This one is the resin model. The stand was the top of a candle in a jar set

Kiu4QqH.jpg

And this one is the original plastic model, with one resin wingpod. And on an original Airfix stand from the seventies.

As you can see, I painted the transparent parts light blue as they weren't that clear anyway.

I think I'll class them both as 'okay from two feet away' models.

The resin will live in the mancave and the original will be sneaked into the house.

This has taken since May last year! such is my glacial build rate, although there is another Kreiger scratchbuild under way.

Thanks for looking.

Pete

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Nice looking Fireball.

Here's one I built ages ago. It's a Comet Miniatures vac form kit. I made the base out of thin wood, painted with car spray paint. I sold the model to Tony James along with a whole load of other built models at least twenty years ago. I needed funds for my first trip to the USA. I helped Tony clear out the Lavender Hill shop when it closed down a while back and the model was still there then! I took the picture below the day before the Comet shop closed for good.

I still have sitting here unbuilt, a Comet Resin and white metal XL5 and a Vac Form Stingray. They will both get built one day.

Tony.

IMG_2806.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Pete!

Great results there!

I hope that Mine comes out anywhere near as good!

Mine's still on the go, not managed to find much time recently, prep does not make for exciting viewing, but will post an update before holidays next week.

Again excellent build and result!

Keep Sticking!      Cheers,  Pete (In Burton)

Edited by morty_3333
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Splendid renditions! I wonder do Airfix still have the moulds........?

'Fraid not. They have been lost to the ravages of time. Also the Stingray kit (which wasn't Airfix IIRC).

A great shame, but there it is.

• Sad 1

Cracking Pete

Now all thats left to do is the ramp, the Tower, a couple of the wee scooters that fly, rocket sled for the rails, robot,  er did I miss anything out?  :wicked:

still like though !

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2018 at 10:01 PM, JohnT said:

Cracking Pete

Now all thats left to do is the ramp, the Tower, a couple of the wee scooters that fly, rocket sled for the rails, robot,  er did I miss anything out?  :wicked:

still like though !

Zoonie the Lazoon!

• Haha 2

On 27/09/2018 at 12:35, Tarkas said:

'Fraid not. They have been lost to the ravages of time. Also the Stingray kit (which wasn't Airfix IIRC).

A great shame, but there it is.

Stingray was indeed an Airfix produced kit. Fireball started off as a Kitmaster model, but Airfix picked the contract when Kitmaster went belly-up.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

Oh dear - I remember building that Kitmaster kit LONG ago! Not sure if I used the ZOOM offer or a TV21 offer. It's got to have been around 50 years ago (I think...)

Kev - contender for the honorary title of "One of the Ancient Modellers" 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Here is the orginal advert, if one looks closely at the small print Kitmaster is there for all to see.

Thanks for that. And I always thought it was 10/6 plus four lolly wrappers.

Yet if they cut it from 9/- to 4/6, does this mean they had a load left?

Even 4/6 was out of my price range back then. I had to wait for Birthday money!

2 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Oh dear - I remember building that Kitmaster kit LONG ago! Not sure if I used the ZOOM offer or a TV21 offer. It's got to have been around 50 years ago (I think...)

Kev - contender for the honorary title of "One of the Ancient Modellers" 🙂

It's staggering to think its closer to 60 years ago than 50. The kit  was only available as part the Lyon Maid Zoom offer.

This is perhaps what you remember from TV 21.

414019180.jpg

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1