Hachette 1:8 Scale Fokker Dr 1- Modified a bit

An old friend asked me to help him finish the Fokker Dr 1 1:8 Scale model that's marketed by Hachette Publications. He had a passion for starting models which frequently got to a certain stage when he was overtaken by a new project. I was intrigued by the big model and its skeletal format and took it over for him. It soon became evident that the kit's attention to detail was rudimentary, a real issue on such a big scale for anyone who has a hankering to get as much of the detail right as possible. Being so afflicted, after taking delivery of all the bits plus the finished elements he'd already made (Wings/part fuselage/tailplane/rudder/engine), I spent many months and no small investment on bits to bring it to the finished item. It's not museum standard even so but looks quite convincing. Loads of fiddley bits and accompanying graphic epithets.

34593258972_9e2498b159_c.jpg

I decided that to change the OOB structure to something fairly authentic, it had to be an earlier Dr 1 than the Red Baron's a/c that Hachette had used to market the kit, so hunted for something appropriate and found 147/17 (W Nr 1859) which was delivered to Richthofen's Jasta 11 in Nov 1917 after the Triplane series was temporarily withdrawn from service due to fatal structural problems with the wings. It was then reputedly flown by Lt Werner Steinhäuser whose markings (cribbed from our NZ friends) I used as the basis for the a/c's bright paintwork on the covered parts of the structure. He had 4 victories to his credit before being wounded in combat on 17 March 1918 while flying Fokker Dr 1 147/17. There were 6 more aircraft added to his total before he lost his life on 26 June 1918 in a later model Dr 1 (564/17) due to the accurate shooting from a SPAD 2-seater. Steinhäuser’s first triplane was flown after his injury by a Jasta 10 pilot, Leutnant Ludwig Keseling, who had the misfortune to be shot down by AA fire while strafing observation balloons on 22 March 1918. He managed to force-land his damaged aircraft in Allied territory, becoming a POW. His aircraft was subsequently pictured being recovered by British soldiers. It was eventually given the British captured aircraft identification code G.158 but its fate remains unclear.

34755188515_2a99fd19fa_c.jpg

33912923504_d96d85b303_m.jpg  34755212005_4deb4dc312_m.jpg  34755211215_f8f99c3401_m.jpg  34593258132_0c2942c25e_m.jpg  34715131496_ed481c3d20_m.jpg

My friend was well pleased with the result and insisted I should keep the model since I'd invested so much effort into the finished article. At 85 years old, he sadly died. Since the model was really too large for me to display, I gave it to his son who lives down in Paignton but the photo collection of the finished model reminds me of my chum. Finally got to grips with downloading pictures to the site so apologies to anyone who may not find this their kindathing.

• Like 12

Cheers John,

Thanks for the comments. Read your post on WnW early DVII. Just bought one for the stash but guess it may have to wait a bit. Damn weeds and grass!

Paul