1:16 1914 Dennis Fire Engine by Bandai FINISHED

Kallisti

Thanks guys glad you like it. The hard work never ends as I move onto the ladder and here we see some awful moulding, sink marks and a veritably forest of ejector pin marks! It seems that this kit was deliberately designed to show off the quality of the ejector pins! They are EVERYWHERE and in the most visible places as well. Its as if they made a conscious decision over the placement that if they had a choice they'd put it in the most visible location rather than anywhere that would be hidden!

Case in point, the large wheels for the ladder, just look at how MANY ejector pin marks there are around the rim of the wheels:

DSC_8224.JPG

The ladders themselves were appallingly cast with mould lines running along both the inside and outside of each ladder plus on each rung. There were also so many sink marks that I eventually gave up on them - virtually every ladder rung had a sink mark next to it on either side of the ladder :(

After two solid evenings of sanding, the ladders eventually got their initial brown coat of paint. This was a custom mix of Tamiya browns which I have absolutely no hope of recreating, so fortunately I made enough to cover all 3 ladders. Once this was dry, the mid-brown was dry-brushed using burnt umber artist acrylic to get darker 'wood grain' effects on the ladders. Sadly the photo doesn't show this effect very well

DSC_8228.JPG

These have then had the various metal fittings added, including the rollers for the lower ladder which will fit into the travelling framework. Speaking of which here it is...

DSC_8227.JPG

The big wheels will fit onto the axle you can see in the lower middle and the wheels of the rollers on the lower ladder will slot between the two runners on the upper part of the travel frame. The last bit for now is the end of the ladder, which contains the counter-balance and the winch mechanism. These parts have all been painted up and will be assembled soon

DSC_8231.JPG

You can see the difference is colour between the unpainted travel frame earlier and these parts above which have been painted.

I'm really pleased to be coming towards the end of this build, I'm getting fed up with the ridiculous amount of sanding I'm having to do to every part, its really tiresome and time consuming. I'm not sure I can face painting the figures. The quality of the figures is not very good and considering they are 1:16 scale that will be very obvious 

DSC_8232.JPG

My instinct is that these will look out of place on the finished model.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

Well what can I say - the decals are bloody awful :( I've got the linings on the sides done but the lettering on the doors of the main body have only been added to one side.

1) the lettering is very faint

2) the decals would not separate from the backing and when they did were very ragged. 

I used a lot of MicroSol and when dry did a once over with Klear.

Needless to say I'm very disappointed, but I shouldn't have been surprised. 

So here it is at last, COMPLETE!!!!!

DSC_8263.JPG

Here you can just about make out the lettering decals on the side - they are seriously rubbish and I'm not at all happy with them.

DSC_8261.JPG

DSC_8265.JPG

DSC_8266.JPG

This side doesn't have lettering 

DSC_8267.JPG

DSC_8268.JPG

DSC_8269.JPG

I had to remove one of the fire extinguishers at the back as it got in the way of the ladder's axle

DSC_8271.JPG

DSC_8272.JPG

The ladder does extend but its a very delicate operation as the plastic gears don't work 

DSC_8274.JPG

DSC_8275.JPG

DSC_8276.JPG

Here you can see the wood-grain effect I got on the ladders

DSC_8278.JPG

DSC_8279.JPG

DSC_8280.JPG

I'll pit some pics into the gallery later...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 8

I know that this has been a lot of hard work and you may be disappointed with the decals, but that is a fantastic looking model. :worthy:

Perhaps if you leave it for a week or two and then take another look, you may feel like trying to improve the lettering. Maybe you could try going over it with a suitable graphics pen or see if you can source some dry-rub lettering. Anyway whatever you decide to do it is still a lovely result and one you should be very proud of.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about it and I've got a couple of options:

1/ print my own decals:

tricky as yellow/gold from an inkjet printer is normally not dense enough to work on transparent decal paper so would need to print on white decal paper and try to colour match the background. I did this a few years ago on my green London Country Routemaster and wasn't entirely happy with the result.

2/ Try to source some suitable gold decals or rubdown transfers

3/ Mask and paint (hahahahahahahahahaha....)

4/ Stencils...

I think #2 is the most practical at the moment. I need to measure the text and work out what is needed - the font is pretty simple sans-serif...

• Like 1

You should be quite proud of what you have produced. It seemed to fight all the way, and you had plenty of sanding and cleaning up battles with this one. The results on screen look brilliant, and all I can say is that your ladders look like real wood, so top marks for that. I hope you can solve the makings problem at a later stage, and knowing your tenacity, I am sure you will overcome!

Nice one,

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/24/2017 at 4:21 PM, Kallisti said:

I've been thinking about it and I've got a couple of options:

1/ print my own decals:

tricky as yellow/gold from an inkjet printer is normally not dense enough to work on transparent decal paper so would need to print on white decal paper and try to colour match the background. I did this a few years ago on my green London Country Routemaster and wasn't entirely happy with the result.

2/ Try to source some suitable gold decals or rubdown transfers

3/ Mask and paint (hahahahahahahahahaha....)

4/ Stencils...

I think #2 is the most practical at the moment. I need to measure the text and work out what is needed - the font is pretty simple sans-serif...

Hi,

I know this is an older build, but it came out very nicely after all your hard work.

I have just managed to get hold of one of these kits and would be interested to hear if you managed to source some "gold" replacement decals? 

I have been looking around for a while but so far with no luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Hi,

I know this is an older build, but it came out very nicely after all your hard work.

I have just managed to get hold of one of these kits and would be interested to hear if you managed to source some "gold" replacement decals? 

I have been looking around for a while but so far with no luck.

I found some gold vinyl stickers that I used instead

• Like 1

Here you go - I had ordered the 4mm and 5mm letters and ended up using the 5mm ones. I have no idea now where I got them but there is a url on the back of the package that still exists: 

http://becc.co.uk/

DSC_4857.JPG

This is what they look like once applied

DSC_4858.JPG

and in its full glory sitting on my shelf

DSC_4859.JPG

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Here you go - I had ordered the 4mm and 5mm letters and ended up using the 5mm ones. I have no idea now where I got them but there is a url on the back of the package that still exists: 

http://becc.co.uk/

This is what they look like once applied

DSC_4858.JPG

Thank you very much, they look just right.