After a lot of filling , scraping, cutting and drilling, I've got the new belly fitted, the fit is actually better than the photo would indicate. The next step is engraving the detail on the fuselage, the fun never stops!

9_zpshljvnm0d.jpg

John 

Edited by canberra kid
Spelcheck
  • Like 6

Hello John

Grand work you are doing, isn't it odd what we often describe as fun, I for one never look forward to repairing or replacing panel lines, apart from the laborious nature of the task one slip and you have a panel line you neither want or need.

Sorry if I interrupted your scribing session :wink:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello again,John - This is real 'St.Athan' stuff! Well done and good progress,That Man!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, she's not doing bad considering all that's going on.

John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hello John

Grand work you are doing, isn't it odd what we often describe as fun, I for one never look forward to repairing or replacing panel lines, apart from the laborious nature of the task one slip and you have a panel line you neither want or need.

Sorry if I interrupted your scribing session :wink:

Thanks HitC I know what you mean, and it's "fun" so long as it goes ok. The wings are ok, nice and flat but the fuselage is a nother kettle of fish, we shall see just how much "fun" it is. :)

John

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

A model makers bible you have there John....I probably wouldn't understand anything past the title page:banghead:

I don't understand much myself, but I'm more than happy just looking at the pictures :) 

John

Those volumes look beautifully evocative of a pre-digital era. Is that eau de hangar I smell? :D 

Nice work on the belly as well John. :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Those volumes look beautifully evocative of a pre-digital era. Is that eau de hangar I smell? :D 

Nice work on the belly as well John. :thumbsup2:

Tony

It is eau de hanger Tony, I have most of my AP/T.O.'s in the loft and when you stick your head through the hatch it smells like aeroplanes :) The quality of the drawings is phenomenal, apparently they were drawn in Glasgow, I don't know if that was all AP's or some. The American T.O.'s have a diferant style as you would imagine, but still very good, as you say, all done by men and I would guess Women with pencils and ink, amazing! 

John 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, canberra kid said:

A bit of light reading, my reference material for the next phase of the build. 

John

If I references like that i'd never get round to doing any modelling at all- I'd spend all my time working out a kit's errors and the potential to add details!

Will 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Thank goodness there are people such as yourself keeping these fragments of history safe John.

Thanks Tony I'm trying my best to save as much Canberra/English Electric stuff as I can, so far it's come in useful helping with Canberra restorations in Australia, Argentina, Chile, Peru, USA and here, which is quite gratifying as you can imagine, not to mention all the little Canberra's I've helped :)   

John

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Killingholme said:

If I references like that i'd never get round to doing any modelling at all- I'd spend all my time working out a kit's errors and the potential to add details!

Will 

I know Will and that is exactly what's happened! ignorance is quite often bliss! :)

John

23 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello John!

Nice project you have there. For some reason I like the "old" PR Canberras (PR.3 & PR.7) most. How I envy your reference library;)

Best Regards,

Antti

Thanks Antti, I too am a fan of the PR. Canberra's the PR.7 is my favorite Canberra of all time. There is a gap in my library that needs filling, that's for the Tp.52 ;)

John 

• Like 1

Hello John!

I still need to do some scanning... and find a way to send the material for you.

I have (somewhere) a copy of an article series "Flying the dream machine" (by Flt Lt Mike Retallack) which was published in Aeroplane Monthly in the 1990s. Well written and gives a pilot's view on flying the PR.7 in the 1950s.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello John!

I still need to do some scanning... and find a way to send the material for you.

I have (somewhere) a copy of an article series "Flying the dream machine" (by Flt Lt Mike Retallack) which was published in Aeroplane Monthly in the 1990s. Well written and gives a pilot's view on flying the PR.7 in the 1950s.

Best Regards,

Antti

@Antti_K Thanks Antti, I remember that article, I think I have it stashed away in my archives some where. There was also some good articles on the Operation Grapple nuclear weapons tests which were very Canberra heavy.

John

A very busy schedule means I can only do a bit of work this weekend, but I've done a bit of panel work on fuselage and got the new camera bay welded in place. I may get a chance to slap some filler on this weekend too.

11_zpsgspc9ipw.jpg

John  

• Like 3

On 2017-6-3 at 6:09 PM, TheBaron said:

Very good. Carry on that man.:D

22 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - I second TheBaron's sentiment.Good luck with everything and "Keep Your Airspeed Up!"

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Chaps! 

John

• Like 1

I got a bit more filling done, the red lines indicate areas to or have been filled which are either fictitious as in the case of the line down the centre of the forward fuel tank or not applicable to the PR.3. The two areas marked in blue are wrong, but I think Airfix may have misinterpreted the line around the fixing brackets which should also be at the front of the tank.    

12a_zpsj5awgtfk.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
missing word
  • Like 6