Games Workshop / Warhammer 40K - Predator

I recently got given some GM Warhammer 40K kits to build and paint. Apart from a general request on the colour scheme (black with yellow highlights, to go with the donor's other 40K models) I was given free rein to weather them to my heart's content. I don't normally do armour but it's something I want to give a try, so this was a chance to have a go on a kit where real-life accuracy wasn't so much of a concern.

GM kits are certainly a bit odd if you're used to more conventional models. There's only detail where you can see it (the underside is plain and the track wheels are just moulded semicircles), and the plastic is both soft and very thick. That said it fitted together fairly well (save for some awkward joins) and was simple to assemble, and in a nice touch the kit came with multiple options as to weaponry and whether the crew were buttoned down or heads out.

I was provided with the yellow paint (GM's own Citadel range) which sprays nicely but do clean your airbrush immediately - it sets like bakelite very fast. The rest is Tamiya NATO Black for the most part, with Flat Black for the underside of the turret, and a misting of NATO Black lightened with a small amount of white on top. Shell dents were made with a soldering iron, and were either highlighted with metallic paint to simulate fresh hits or rust to represent older ones. Vallejo Metal Color Gunmetal was used for (surprisingly enough!) the gun barrels. 

Weathering was mainly via Lifecolor dry pigments (the rust set) and liquid pigments (the detail emphasiser and rain/dust sets). Soot was added via Tamiya Smoke or Humbruol dark modelling powder. 

The build isn't perfect; there are several places where lots of filling and sculpting would be needed to deal with seams, so I'm just going to say that that's where they'd be on the real thing. The rear ramp folds down so I painted and weathered the interior as well.

20170513_40KPred-8_zpsmh3dzf0i.jpg

20170513_40KPred-5_zpsc6scztkd.jpg

20170513_40KPred-9_zpsb1fvdmkj.jpg

20170513_40KPred-10_zps3uxvlbnk.jpg

20170513_40KPred-11_zpsgqkqhcal.jpg

The interior, before assembly:

WH40Pred_Build%20-%203_zps3b0b2f22.jpg

...and after:

WH40Pred_Build%20-%204_zpspeeq1rqd.jpg

Top view.

WH40Pred_Build%20-%201_zps0n5jhifs.jpg

Certainly an interesting learning experience in terms of trying out weathering techniques. Now I'm tempted to make a suitable display base...

20170513_40KPred-14_zps1wa0cxro.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, it's been a long old time since I built any Space Marine stuff - had the Rhino, Predator and Land Raider.  Probably all land fill now.....!!

That's nice, lovely rich yellow, especially the little chevrons on the back of the turret. Shades of the Weyland Yutani logo?

Will