F-100D Super Sabre

Kit - Trumpeter 1:48.

Paint - Alclad lacquers, AK Xtreme Metals, Xtracolour & Humbrol enamels.

Decals - Microscale & Superscale.

Extras - Hasegawa 750lb'ers, Quickboost resin seat, Eduard pre-painted etch.

NA F-100D Super Sabre

'Pahodee Tiger'

308th TFS, 31st TFW

Bien Hoa AFB

Mid 1965.

c_zpsrtk9mgnl.jpg

b_zpswpobajkl.jpg

f_zpsn1c12lqr.jpg

e_zpsi6xy8kyv.jpg

g_zps7jr1igih.jpg

i_zpss7q9uleq.jpg

k_zps03llkp6e.jpg

l_zpszltar3ws.jpg

Here’s my just completed Trumpeter 1:48 ‘Hun’. What a kit !!, simply fell together with almost no input from me. Only additions are a Quickboost seat and Eduard pre-painted etch set for the pit – neither of which are actually ‘needed’, simply a concession to middle-aged sausage fingers !!

Not too much to say about the actual machine except that it is said to be assigned to Don Kilgus’ wingman in mid-1965, and despite my (and others) best efforts, just cannot find the name of the pilot. If the scheme is familiar, it may be because way back in the very late 1970’s Esci featured it for their (quite awful) 1:48 kit as the box-art. For my model, I’ve used an ancient MicroScale sheet for all the stencilling and a more recent SuperScale sheet for the aircraft specific markings.

Overall aluminium paint is Xtracolour enamel, the heat-scorched NMF area around the engine is a combination of Alclad lacquers, AK Xtreme Metals and Tamiya clear blue & orange.

Thouroughly enjoyed every minute of this one. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. Next, a BoB Hurricane or AVG P-40.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 22

Very nice 'Hun' you've managed to compelete there - well done.

Can I just ask, what colour did you paint the underside internals - wheel wells and airbrake?

I've got an Esci 1/72 kit just waiting to be started and have not come across this colour before - I'll admit to not having done too much reseach as yet.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

A great looking model, as the other guys have already noted - the heat effects on the rear look especially good.

I have recently finished the Trumpeter F-105G and F-100F and they both fell together as well - superb engineering.

Phil

• Like 1

looks good, nice work on the engine area!

did you change the teeth decals? my dad wanted to do the Trumpeter kit with Superscale decals too, but the nosearts were oversized

:goodjob:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Very nice 'Hun' you've managed to compelete there - well done.

Can I just ask, what colour did you paint the underside internals - wheel wells and airbrake?

I've got an Esci 1/72 kit just waiting to be started and have not come across this colour before - I'll admit to not having done too much reseach as yet.

Cheers.. Dave.

Dave I used Tamiya XF-5 green with a little Olive Green just to take the edge off.

Ian.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reini78 said:

looks good, nice work on the engine area!

did you change the teeth decals? my dad wanted to do the Trumpeter kit with Superscale decals too, but the nosearts were oversized

:goodjob:

Not the size Reini, I did 'stain' them a pale yellow as they are printed white on the sheet.

Ian.