Stirling curtain colours

Mark Joyce

Working slowly on my Italeri Stirling Mk. I.  The Eduard photo-etch set for the interior has the window curtains.  I'm trying to determine the best colour for these, and if there is a difference between the interior and exterior sides of them.  It appears the exterior side is white (which, at least to me, seems counter-intuitive for nighttime operations!) whilst the interior looks darker, at least in the black and white photographs I have...but this could simply be a photographic illusion.  Any input?

TIA,

Mark

Thanks for the replies.  My wife votes for purple, it being her favorite color, but I'm thinking something along the lines of beige might be more accurate! By the way, very nice build, Patrick.

This discussion got brought up in my build where I used bits of white blutac. I think the consensus was that they are a greyish colour, but it was too late for me to change them at that stage......usual story on most of my builds 🤔

gents

Like everything on  Stirling there is no definitive answer, but looking at most photos we have they appear to be either medium grey or black. tbh if you're looking from the outside in, then leaving them completely open would not look amiss

John

• Like 1

Totally off topic but i think the stirling is a piece of art.  Beautiful looking aircraft.  Waaaay back in my childhood i remember looking up at the airfix kit in awe.  As with many other aircraft types it's almost a travesrty of justice none survive.

10 minutes ago, 12jaguar said:

We're working on that :)

John

Until i checked out the website I didn't know none had survived.

god speed to you (and the others involved) fella! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, everyone. It appears these photo-etch curtains won't be visible from the outside, so I just painted the interior side a medium-dark grey. I'm a little concerned about how well they will attach to the fuselage, especially considering that I have already painted the interior, so it remains to be seen if I'll even end up using them.

I would use a canopy glue like Formula '560'. It sticks to paint and dries clear, it is perfect for photo-etch in the canopy. I use it to glue photo-etch seat belts to painted seats.

Hope this is not too late,

Garry c

• Like 1