A Flock of Seagulls - Revell (ICM) I-153 Chaika (times two)

For my second build(s) I'd like to have a go at these little Seagulls:

DSCN6244.jpg

It's the Revell re-box of the ICM Polikarpov I-153 'Chaika' (Seagull). Here are the sprues - different colour plastic, must have been more than one production run I imagine:

DSCN6245.jpg

The rather nice colour-printed instructions and the rather basic transfer sheets:

DSCN6248.jpg

... and the extras - Quickboost produce a set of exhausts which are not featured in the kit parts (I think some drilling and filing of the kit cowlings are required to install these, by the look of things):

DSCN6250.jpg

... and a set of Colibri decals (printed in Russia by Begemot):

DSCN6251.jpg

As I wanted to try out the revised Colourcoats VVS paints, I'm leaning toward these two aircraft:

DSCN6258.jpg

Red 16, painted aluminium with a mottled overspray of black and green, and:

DSCN6259.jpg

White... well I'm not sure how you reproduce that character, but whatever it is, I like the white fin tip and the fact that it is depicted with the rocket rails as the kit includes the little rockets so I can use them :D 

For the painting, I will probably use Alclad Semi-matt Aluminium for the silver base of Red 16 and these colours:

DSCN6263.jpg

ACS03 AII Blue, ACS04 AII/AMT Black and ACS01 AII Blue.

So I'm good to go I think, all I need now is some free time... :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Very nice choices, Stew! I've always loved the little Chaika. I believe the mottle over silver example is from the Khalkin-Gol (Nomonhan) Incident with Japan in 1939. Some Tupolev SBs were given a similar treatment at the time. I've always been intrigued by that scheme, but never had the courage to attempt it. I believe the green over blue scheme is more my speed. Good luck on yours! Za Rodinu!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Thanks Cookie, Jason, I'm  not saying I'm going to make a good job of it, it will most likely end up being an 'attempted representation' of that scheme rather than a replica of it. Jason, your suggestion regarding the origins of the camouflage seems to concur with Massimo's - the aircraft was photographed wrecked and abandoned at Minsk in June 1941 and he says some of the I-153 seem to have retained the camouflage from the Nomonhan Incident. There are quite a few pictures reproduced on his site here.

It was my friend and forum-buddy Rob85 who introduced me to the concept of swallowing your frog - that is to say get the most unpleasant job out of the way first and whatever follows will seem easy. As suspected a look at the Quickboost Exhaust parts and the kit parts did indeed indicate that certain moulded depressions in the plastic would need to be made into holes (though as an aside, Quickboost - some instructions might have been nice?). It's not that this is a particularly unpleasant job but it is very much the sort of thing that I would make a mess of and as such I thought it better to find out if I was going to bollix things up sooner rather than when I'd put a lot of work in on the interior, for example.

I made a start, here is the before and after pic of the underside cowling:

DSCN6265.jpg

... and the after and after shot:

DSCN6266.jpg

... and so, as they say, the deed was crowned with success! Hurrah! :thumbsup:

Now only two sets of two side cowling panels to go :huh:

I've also got a couple more sets of extras on the way for these kits, I thought since I completed my Group Build Contractual Obligations with the two Yak-3s that I might as well push the boat out with these two...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Thanks Peter :D

I started the side cowling parts - and promptly overdid one set of holes:

DSCN6269.jpg

I've painted a little Liquid Green Stuff round the curved edges to reduce the size of the opening since then, I'll have to see how they look when the exhaust pipes are sticking out as that might render any further corrective work pointless...

... and so I finished drilling and filing the cowling holes:

DSCN6272.jpg

I'll detach the Quickboost exhaust pipes from their moulding blocks later on and have a test-fit to see how it all looks...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Frog almost swallowed :o

Brave man Stew choosing the mad mottling scheme, but I'm sure you'll pull it off (fnaar!)

Looking on with interest :popcorn: 

• Like 1

That mottling scheme is daunting, Stew. If the exhausts are froggy, then I reckon the painting will be a giant toad! Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out...

On 5/17/2017 at 7:18 AM, Stew Dapple said:

White... well I'm not sure how you reproduce that character, but whatever it is

That'd be a seven, I think. Bit surprised to see a Cyrillic number, I'd been told that Peter the Great abolished them, and I'm pretty sure there were no Chaikas built before his reign.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2017 at 4:02 PM, Stew Dapple said:

I started the side cowling parts - and promptly overdid one set of holes:

This was a ground crew modification as the exhaust pipe was a bit bend ;)

The open cowling holes in conjunction with the Quickboost exhaust pipes will surely enhance the look of the model greatly.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Thanks gents - the camo scheme is going to be tricky and I don't think it likely that I will be able to effectively replicate it, but if you don't try... :)

The other 'extras' I ordered arrived: a set of Aires seats and belts:

DSCN6286.jpg

... and some Quickboost joysticks and gunsights:

DSCN6287.jpg

In addition to the exhaust pipes the Quickboost set shown earlier includes some small straight tubes - it took me a while to figure out what they are for, but I believe they are intended to replace four moulded 'bumps' on each side of the cowlings, further back from the exhausts. I'm not sure what they are in real life, but having looked at the kit parts I decided it would be less hassle to drill out the holes in the moulded kit parts than to drill out the whole moulded bump and replace it with the Quickboost part - these are the parts drilled out:

DSCN6290.jpg

I also made up the Aires seats, with the remarkably complicated harness - these could have turned out better but hopefully once painted up and installed inside the fuselage will be acceptable:

DSCN6292.jpg

Next I can start putting the interiors together...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Wow, lots of nice extras there Stew - the seats and belts look good to me and I'm looking forward to seeing how the internals come together :) 

• Like 1

Those seats do look good Stew, and you do realise how little of the interior will actually be visible through that tiny cockpit opening! However, even with the small opening, the seats do show.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Learstang said:

...you do realise how little of the interior will actually be visible through that tiny cockpit opening...

Not just realise Jason, I'm counting on it :D

ICM provide the internal framing for the cockpit amongst the kit parts but the Revell issue of the kit does not mention these in the instructions which is a shame as they are quite nicely done - thanks to Super-Hobby putting a scan of the instructions for their catalogue entry for the ICM kit you can fit those parts, as I did:

DSCN6293.jpg

The rudder bar has also been fitted. Later I will hopefully get some paint on the interior parts and then I can get on wth the assembly...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Thanks Peter, thanks Cookie :D

I painted most of the internals A14 Steel Grey, and the kit engine parts/inside of the cowlings/resin exhausts, joysticks and gunsights in Alclad Black Primer:

DSCN6297.jpg

I think I must have blobbed a drop of cellulose thinner onto the port wing of the lighter grey plastic kit as it melted a bit and I left an embedded fingerprint on it... It doesn't look too bad, salvable anyway, but it will need a bit of cleaning up... hopefully I can get the detail painting done on the interior parts later on as well...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Bad luck on the thinner Stew but I know you'll make it vanish...

Alclad black primer? Ooh, bet we're in for a treat then!

• Like 1

Nice work on the interior, Stew! I wouldn't worry about the fingerprint - I agree with Cookie, it's good luck! I already have two small fingerprints on my Amodel Polikarpov I-180 which means I will do a smashing job on the model.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Thanks gents; I don't usually get fingerprints on my models and good luck or not I think on balance I'd prefer to get by without them! :) 

I did the detail painting and added the joystick and the instrument panel decal - it is quite effective but as Jason noted earlier, a test fit indicates it will never be seen again after this picture:

DSCN6302.jpg

I also joined the fuselage halves to see how the new seats fit, and installed one of them along with part of the Quickboost exhausts set - the fitting on the latter is not exactly intuitive; they fit from the inside and I would recommend to anyone intending to use them that you test fit until you see how they are meant to be placed:

DSCN6300.jpg

Hopefully I can get the other seat installed this evening and add the fuselage halves to the wing/cockpit sections... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Today I got the lower wings fitted:

DSCN6304.jpg

... and painted and assembled the engines:

DSCN6306.jpg

Next step is apparently to add the struts and upper wing, but I think it might make painting a lot easier if I leave them unfixed for now. I don't think it will hamper painting to fit the tailplanes but I'll leave the struts off for those too :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

I am having a hard time keeping up with your build Stew :huh:

On 25/05/2017 at 2:52 PM, Stew Dapple said:

I don't usually get fingerprints on my models and good luck or not I think on balance I'd prefer to get by without them! :)

There is a first for everything - and isn't fixing up all the little unforeseen misshapes part of making scale models ;)

Great progress all in all.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2