About 1 year Late :(

Hi everyone,

Its about time i explain why i was unable to complete my 48th scale Corsair for the group build.

DH%20F4U2%20001_zpss7h4c3wr.jpg

This is a 32nd scale Tamiya F4U-2 Birdcage conversion i'd been working on for roughly a year and a half. It relocated for 2 job changes, and its builder suffered a rear-end collision and a death in the family. But it is done now.

DH%20F4U2%20058_zps5zwov1lj.jpg

After a 6 month delay due to bad weather, i drove the model an agonizing 11 hours to Salt Lake City UT, where i could present it to the pilot who flew the real aircraft, LTCDR Robert Brunson, USNR. Bob drove from Estes Park, CO to meet me. Bob is pushing 96 but is in pretty good health except for needing supplemental oxygen at higher elevations.

DH%20F4U2%20051_zps5gentu8o.jpg

There are many other more pictures out there which show the model but thats not the point here. Here are some pics of me and my fat head presenting the model to Bob.

Bob%20and%20David%20002_zps3r5koyjp.jpg

IMG_0013_zps1r6srjqo.jpg

As far as i know, Bob is the last surviving F4U-2 Night Fighter pilot, Ed Sovik of VMF (N)-532 passing a couple years ago and before him, Robert E. "Chick" Harmer, CO of VF (N)-101 and Bob's Boss.

This was not intended as a "Surprise Gift" for Bob, as i needed his information to build the model accurately and nail down the exact colours of the paint scheme. I kept him regularly appraised of progress, because i was worried that he could go at any time. Fortunately he waited for me.

img163_zpscd2pfu0f.jpg

I am not big on ceremony, but if you get a chance to build a model of a plane for the man who flew the real thing, do it while you still can. You will not regret it.

-d-

• Like 4