Albatros almost finished. No it is Finished

OK. Normally I don't build in this scale 

Albatros_01.JPG

But look what I found. I could not resist it.

Albatros_02.JPG

I finished the Avro 504 from Smer so I continue with quality models. I especially like that there is no doubt where the decals should go. The dual radiators are a nice touch. 

Albatros_03.JPG
A perfect model to keep my vision that 1/48 planes are no good. Almost less detail than 1/72 etc. (Esci's Viggen apparently made a big impression in my childhood).
This one is actually in 1/50 so I can uphold my claim that I don't build in 1/48 

Albatros_04.JPG
I will remove the engraved markings but I think the file was too rough. It removed to much material.

Albatros_05.JPG
The wing tip decreased by almost 10 mm so I could just as well do the same with the other one, but then the bottom wing was too long so it also got a reduced span.

I also removed every second rib

Albatros_09.JPG
Time to attach the wings

Albatros_10.JPG
I made a new fuselage for it.

Albatros_11.JPG
The span may look a bit short.

Albatros_06.JPG
A plastic egg and a 1/48 scale Viggen nose make up the fuselage frame.

Albatros_07.JPG
Then the tail was then filled with plastic strips

Albatros_08.JPG
and a large amount of filler and Magic Sculp. A lot of filler will be used for this build. Do you think that I can get Tamiya as a sponsor.

Albatros_12.JPG
But a small problem arose which I was almost prepared for. The nose feels too blunt. I had problems deciding on how to turn the egg. The pointed part forward or backward?
I choose to point it to the back because it would look most like the Albatros fuselage. Turning it the other way would probably made it look to fat at the rear.

Albatros_13.JPG
But with a good saw you can overcome everything. I think the answer to the problem is to cut another egg.

Albatros_14.JPG
Adding the pointy part to the blunt nose should do it.

Albatros_15.JPG
I did choose a large plastic egg for my build so it will be larger than Hasegawas Egg plane series.

Albatros_16.JPG
Instead it will fit in with the Revell series of the Fünfdecker, Messaschnitzel and the Spitsfire.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Albatros_17.JPG

I finally found a propeller for it. A 1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Roden came to rescue.

Albatros_18.JPG

But i need to cut in the fuselage that I had finished puttying and sanding.

Albatros_19.JPG

But I think it is the easiest way to do it so bring out the putty again.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Albatros_22.JPG

Parts for the engine comes from the Revell "Messaschnitzel" I modified it and added something on the top to get the old engine look.

Albatros_23.JPG

Finally it is time for some paint.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Albatros_29.JPG

I was close to make a big mistake. I almost drilled holes for the struts for the top wing when I realised that I wouldn't have any space left for the guns so I need to get that sorted first.

I decided to use parts from the Roden 1/32 scale Triplane with some scratch building.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Albatros_33.JPG

The wheels have given me some problems. The only ones I could find was the spare wheels from the JoHan 1931 Cadillac in 1/24 scale. I wasn't all happy with them. I found them to wide and the spokes was to much automotive for my taste. When I managed to crack all of the spokes on one of the wheels I had to improvise again. The wheels were made of polystyrene so I broke them apart ant removed 1 mm to make them thinner.

Albatros_34.JPG

A couple of plastic discs replaced the spokes.

Albatros_35.JPG

This feels better.

2 hours ago, Britman said:

what else could you do with some of those old kits?

Not the best or most modern kits. When I had came to a point where I could see how this build was shaping I had a close call. I was standing with an old Fokker F.VII in my hands thinking that maybe there was an egg model hiding in there. In the end I came to my senses and didn't buy it. But I did build an Avro 504 from Smer a while ago.

504k-48_20.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Albatros_36.JPG

Now I'm getting to the stage where my models turns in to "the sleeping beauty"

Albatros_37.JPG

When I can see what it will look like in the end my interest fades and the project goes to sleep.

Albatros_38.JPG

But I will fight to finish this one now.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Orso said:

It is standing on the desk in shame together with the Red Baron Fünfdecker. I haven't figured out how to add a pilot to it. I found a head that I could use though.

Well, get on with it man.  :D

• 4 years later...
  • Orso changed the title to Albatros almost finished. No it is Finished