1/72nd Revell Germany Junkers G 24 kit

Hello

Thick trailing edges is what bothers me the most with G.24 kit, otherwise it makes a good model. By the way, some time ago I heard that Revell 1/72 Junkers F.13 also comes from VEB Plasticard originally. I this correct? Cheers

Jure

On 5/16/2017 at 2:28 PM, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Thick trailing edges is what bothers me the most with G.24 kit, otherwise it makes a good model. By the way, some time ago I heard that Revell 1/72 Junkers F.13 also comes from VEB Plasticard originally. I this correct? Cheers

Jure

Jure, I've heard the same but never seen VEB F-13. BTW - the G-24 is a nice model to work on. I made once scratch conversion to G-24 He (Hellenic = Greek) from 1941. This was a serious work and I have still soft spot on this model. There are photos from the build:

36268824301_64ec6bd5c5_b.jpg

35597774453_35a9f10763_b.jpg

The result was on RFI :)

Now a conversion set appeared for G-24 He.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

The G-24 was produced in three variants.

The first with wheels and swiss or swedish markings is the original Plasticart.

Series 2 with floats comes from Revell and now it here:

https://www.reifra.de/online-shop/spielwaren-aus-eigener-herstellung/modellbau/bausaetze-fuer-flugzeugmodelle/53/flugzeugmodell-junkers-24-bauserie-2?c=99

Modellmaster (Plasticard with a new label name made also rhe series 3 kit. It is a rare kit.

The Junkers F-13 was developt by Plasricart, but produced by Revell.

modelldoc

Hello

You had done a lovely job with that conversion, J-W. BTW, are those reworked Avia B.35 propellers and spinners? Unfortunately, conversions or new kits tend to appear in the most inappropriate moments. Had the same experience with VEB Plasticard An-2 decades ago. Italeri kit (which also needs some improvements and corrections, though minor in comparison with the old Plasticard) appeared just after I applied the first coat of paint on my model.

Modelldoc, thank you for your information. Until I read your post I head no idea that Modellmaster kit in my stash is a rare item. IIRC I got it from the modeller who, at that moment, was in desperate need of ESCI 1/48 Kfir kit. I often wondered why had he been in such a hurry as the number of kits he posses is well into five digits. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Very nicely done G-24 JW!

I had no idea Reifra did the G-24 and the G-23.

I have a 1/72 KVZ Junkers G-23 / G-24 - Swiss or Swedish Airlines in the stash somewhere.

Is that the same as the VEB kit?

Love those F.13's as well.

Walter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

You had done a lovely job with that conversion, J-W. BTW, are those reworked Avia B.35 propellers and spinners?

Walter and Jure - many thanks for comments.

The central prop in grey plastic here is I think the Spitfire Mk I (Hasegawa kit) two blade prop. Frankly speaking it is how I recognized it, but I am not 100% sure - I took it from the box of spare parts. Two others (the creamy colour ones) are mine resin copies of that one. The main conversion work was on u/c, coolers and engines as well as especially  the new fin, which I made from thin plates of resin obtained in silicon form with surface structure copied from the part of the wing. then I cut the plates and bound them a bit to get right shape and thickness. The canopy also - it was glued   window by window (from single pieces). 

Regarding modelling G-24 - look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_G_24 how many variants of this machine existed. So this is still a big field for scratch conversions. :)  There is even single engine version etc...

Regards

Edited by JWM
added about canopy

Anyone considering building a G 24/K 30 should consult the EAM Books title on the G 24, K 30 and G 31. It's a goldmine of info' and includes dwgs of several variants.

Edited by leyreynolds
  • Like 4

All G 23 and G 24 kits are all rhe same from the VEB Plasticard origin.

Saw nice coversions on ebay:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Junkers-G-24-he-Ioannina-1-72-resin-umbaustaz-NEU-/371951545100?hash=item569a0a2b0c:g:ktoAAOSwIQdZGhQR

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Junkers-G-24-he-Luftwaffe-1-72-resin-umbaustaz-NEU-/222512611771?hash=item33cec901bb:g:fcsAAOSwIQdZGhJx

They from Master -X, don't know more about these company

modelldoc

• Like 1

18 hours ago, modelldoc said:

The Junkers F-13 was developt by Plasricart, but produced by Revell.

modelldoc

IIRC a Plasticart F.13 was announced somewhere around 1984 or so, but did not appear. I believe the Revell kit was developed by Axel Dietz, who seems to have had a Hand in the G.24, and possibly was involved in the Plasticart F.13 Project. The Revell kit is a Korean tooling (or rather are, IIRC the 2nd Edition is substantially retooled).

12 hours ago, waltmertins said:

I have a 1/72 KVZ Junkers G-23 / G-24 - Swiss or Swedish Airlines in the stash somewhere.

Is that the same as the VEB kit?

I think KVZ (Kunststoffverarbeitung Zschopau) had fallen out of use for some two decades when the G.24 was produced. It would be most interesting to see a kit that has KVZ as manufacturer's identification.

That's the initial Plasticart boxing, from 1987 or so, not the 70s. There should be a packaging slip inside the box indicating when it was produced. I think this was the final mould Plasticart brought to market.

12 hours ago, waltmertins said:

The one I have in the stash is just like this one;

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=7845&page=62

When I get home I will compare the plastic to the Revell kit

Walter

This is the basic kit. REvell had the version with the floats

Here is the full production line:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/130361-veb-plasticart-15600-junkers-g23-24

modelldoc

• 5 years later...

I am currently working on my first Junkers G24 model. Was initially confused by the instructions for building the wing engines. Instruction leaflet was Revell but kit from VEB. The nacelle construction design is DIFFERENT! 

This is not a problem for me as my first G24 will be the one depicted by a full size mock up and flying model in the film “The Red Tent” about the rescue of explorer Umberto Nobile and starring Sean Connery as Amundsen. Basically silver with maroon nose, nacelles and lower part of fuselage.

Also have a conversion for the single engine G23. Simple job with supplied resin nose and a bit of sawing a section out of the wing.

The EAM book by Mulder et al is an excellent source and shows both G24s (Russian K24s) used in Nobile rescue.

Hope this is useful 

Adrian

I have both the original VEB Plasticart and the Revell kti and they have different engines so that is why the instructions is wrong with your kit.

I have read that reifra has reissued the kits again in three versions and now they have a third engine type that never got issued before.

Hello

In the meantime I got G.24 1. Bauserie (Reifra kit from the first modelldoc's link) kit as a gift. Its building instructions are not particularly user-friendly, but contain no significant errors. Sketch, illustrating step V, is copied from Mastermodell G.24 3. Bauserie kit instructions (apart from floats assembly section) and shows later series vertical tail. It hardly matters as the vertical tail building sequence is correctly described in previous step. Cheers

Jure

It is the ‘vertical tails’ that are a bit problematic for conversions so I’m glad Reifra do a version with one. Being an inveterate ‘converter’ I use sections from various slush kits for the all important ribbing. You would be surprised what you can mix and match. Has helped on my six Junkers F13 builds as well as a Ju52/ 1 m in progress 

• 4 weeks later...

For those enthusiasts of the Junkers G24 the film “The Red Tent”, about Nobile’s rescue, depicts one finished in aluminium upper surfaces with wine/maroon on the central section. The mock up for the film shows the early lower tail as provided in the kit. The only conversion work is a fully windscreened cockpit and skis.

The actual aircraft used for the attempt can be seen in a fascinating 1928 film available on youtube by googling “Junkers 24/k30 (Arctic). this 9 minute documentary segment shows loading and unloading of the aircraft, assembly, taxiing and flying. As I’ve nearly finished the

film prop will now move on to a depiction of the actual aircraft. 
Of note is that the real aircraft had a ‘vertical’ tail so don’t be misled by the early K30 with the horizontal tail shown on page 83 of Rob Mulder’s book.