A Literary GB

Bonhoff

Hows about this one?

We all read don't we? And I guess in a lot of cases it's Autobiographies.

Just read Geoffrey Wellum's "First Light" again and it got me wondering....

Why not a GB based on authors? You build a subject of their mount and show it with their book.

Perhaps Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Roald Dahl, Chuck Yeager, loads of pilot's memoirs around.

Build things that float? Nicholas Monserratt.

Cars? Innes Ireland, Roger Clark....

Whaddya think?

IanJ

Names So Far

1. Kallisti 

2. Arniec

3. Vppelt68

4. Simon

5. Avereda

6. Black Knight

7. Antoine

8. Whitestar12chris

9. Zebra

10. Alancmlaird?

11. Dave_R

12. Mach Turtle

13. SleeperService

14. TonyTiger66

15. Bonhoff (Ought to show faith in my own GB...)

16. Corsairfoxfouruncle

17. theplasticsurgeon

18. MarkSH 

Edited by Bonhoff
Name numbers 16,17 & 18 added 6/3/20
  • Like 2

That sounds interesting. I am in.

I have got some books that might tick my box like a book of Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer. The top Nightfighter ace of WW 2.

I think I also have a book of the Stuka ace Hans Ulrich Rudel.

I have to look in my library what I have more.

This idea has made me want to build now. I am lost.:bounce:

Cheers,

I found some more. Hartmann and J.N. Thorne

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Hmm, that's got me thinking...

A diorama based on Last of the Mohicans, Para Handy's Puffer, a bomber from Catch-22, boats from Swallows and Amazons, the ambulance from Ice Cold in Alex...

I think I might be up for this one

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

... We all read don't we?...

I look at the pictures mostly.

Open to any subject?

Does it have to be real or can it include fiction? eg Richard Sharpe from the Sharpe stories by Bernard wotisname?

In a way it would be more of a challenge to do only real which has featured in a book

Either way, please add me in

• Like 2

Interesting idea - count me in. I just finished the fourth volume of Mike Brooke's memoirs - he flew a lot of different aircraft in a long career with the RAF and RAE so there are plenty of options.

Only one problem with the idea for this GB - I read them on my phone so the photo of the model with the book isn't going to work very well!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I probably won't join this one.....but its an absolute stormer of an idea.....Neville Shute.....TE Laurence......Guy Gibson.....Gandar Dower (go on, google him!). Hmm, then again, I might!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bonhoff said:

Perhaps two groups, fiction and non-fiction.....

Careful, I'm a librarian by trade and if you're going to start classifying things....

• Like 5

Judging by the responses of the signer-uppers that seems the best way to go

May I suggest you start a names list in your first post so we can see the numbers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more thoughts on this GB:

There are pilots who capitalised on their fame as aviators by writing books. The Lindberghs, Chesley Sullenberger, and Chuck Yeager are among these.

There are people who served as pilots in wartime, then went on to work as writers, recounting their wartime experiences in some cases. Roald Dahl, Joseph Heller, and Robert Mason are examples.

Some people, such as Geoffrey Wellum and Bert Stiles, wrote just a single memoir, with no eye toward personal gain or a writing career.

People like Nevil Shute, J.G Ballard, and Ernest Gann were truly double-gifted, having had full careers in both aviation and writing.

Of course, I am considering only aviation here.

Edited by Mach Turtle
J.G Ballard, not Robert.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting idea. I'm in Nevil Shute 'piloted' the Great Panjandrum explosive carrier at Westward Ho! and, IIRC helped develop it. I found and copied the report at Kew so finally have the reference material I need.  

I guess it's a really easy option, but I've always wanted to do a good model of one if Manfred Von Richthofen's aircraft.

I made the Airfix Fokker triplane a number of times. I know it's not really any good, but it certainly looks nice on its little stand :).

I read 'The Red Fighter Pilot' around 25 years ago. I enjoyed its simplicity and direct approach. Quite disturbing in terms of propogandistic bravado but really, one would expect it from him at that time. He later said he was no longer like that.

I have an old Revell Albatross in quite a bad, but repairable state (broken into component parts and all the paint will need stripping) and an unopened Eduard Fokker Triplane. No decals for the Baron, but plenty of time.

Yes, count me in, great idea :).

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Just remembered I've got a Spanish Civil War Potez for Andre Malraux, and a Frank Tinker Polikarpov too :hmmm: .

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hmmmm, a book that I've got, and an appropriate model.

Ed Macy    -  Italeri Apache that I won in a model-show Tombola.

EdMacy.jpg

Backstop, rather than contractual answer - I could well find another offering.

Edited in 2022 - I've built that Apache --so withdrawing that offer.

• Like 1