Tamiya SAS Jeep 1/35

Hi,

This is my fist build in about 40 years, so please be kind, but I'm on hear to learn from members with much better skills than myself so I welcome suggestions for improvements (assuming you can judge my modeling skills through my poor photograph skills :whistle:.

I know what I'm not happy with, so it will be interesting to see what others pick up on.

That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the build and I'm nearly finished a Tamiya Universal Carrier, and have 2 more kits awaiting me. Nobody said this modeling lark was addictive.

Many thanks for taking the time to look / comment & I hope the pics upload OK.

Ian..

34516015782_95e3812cc4_z.jpgDSCN0821 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34547529921_c620490cef_z.jpgDSCN0823 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34547529201_15c51a1a9f_z.jpgDSCN0825 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34677831045_a78db3c918_z.jpgDSCN0826 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34516013122_8092b5852a_z.jpgDSCN0827 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34677830715_2bd845bc82_z.jpgDSCN0828 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34516012432_4c3eb96e6e_z.jpgDSCN0830 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34677830265_e258ef91fc_z.jpgDSCN0833 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34637229486_433d9b18cf_z.jpgDSCN0834 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

34547527051_55d94109f3_z.jpgDSCN0835 by Ian Stoker, on Flickr

• Like 12

:welcome:, after 40 years away from the bench you have produced a good looking model, I like the attention to detail with the tracer rounds for the 50 cal. The modelling basic are still as pertinent today as they were 40 years ago, there have been big improvements in the moulding process. There has also been an improvement in the way finished models can be weathered. From dry brushing with a mud looking colour paint to pigments that when applied look like real mud, sand, snow which you can dust off for the desired effect. There is also a greater range of paint colours, it's definitely the golden age of modelling.

regards ozzy

• Like 1

For a straight out of the box build its very well done.  Unfortunately the tamiya figures are showing their age, although they are well painted.  The mounded roll/net could to with either medical gauze or tissue/green stuff upgrade, may even try strapping for the jerrycans. 

The attention to to detail such as the 50cal ammo is excellent

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

:welcome:, after 40 years away from the bench you have produced a good looking model, I like the attention to detail with the tracer rounds for the 50 cal. The modelling basic are still as pertinent today as they were 40 years ago, there have been big improvements in the moulding process. There has also been an improvement in the way finished models can be weathered. From dry brushing with a mud looking colour paint to pigments that when applied look like real mud, sand, snow which you can dust off for the desired effect. There is also a greater range of paint colours, it's definitely the golden age of modelling.

regards ozzy

Thanks Ozzy,

I did find the array of paints & potions a bit bewildering, so plumped for the familiar Humbrol Enamels, but most here seem to use acrylics, wondering if I have made the wrong choice? 

22 hours ago, Kris B said:

Good start after long time. I am looking for the next one. 

Next one should be with you very soon Kris :)  

18 hours ago, Cromwell said:

For a straight out of the box build its very well done.  Unfortunately the tamiya figures are showing their age, although they are well painted.  The mounded roll/net could to with either medical gauze or tissue/green stuff upgrade, may even try strapping for the jerrycans. 

The attention to to detail such as the 50cal ammo is excellent

Thanks Cromwell,

My figure painting was always quite good, if I do say so myself, so I was a little disappointed as they were not as good as they used to be.

I agree the roll are naff, probably the least convincing part, so my Universal Carrier has a Gauze version, I look forward to your comments on that.

I was quite pleased with the ammo :) 

17 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

superbly made, advice, keep making and enjoy and have fun😊

Thanks Gerrard,

Probably the best bit of advice.

Thanks to the others who commented I really appreciate the encouragement.

I wasn't happy with the head lamps just painted in an "off white" what should I have done?

Ian.. 

• Like 1