Carriers Ahoy! Things that fly on things that float! chat

trickyrich

I'll join with my Hasegawa 1/700 JASDF Izumo - it's a "carrier in disguise" according to the Chinese, and a helicopter carrier (with full length deck) according to everyone else. Recently entered service and has its own choppers. 

• Like 1

I have umpteen carrier models! I have for example, a near complete Green camouflaged IJN Light Carrier Chiyoda in front of me and the WW2 HMS Hermes also sitting there waiting to be finished. What's also good news is that we have Flyhawk's HMS Illustrious in the pipeline along with Trumpeter's USS Yorktown and USS Enterprise. How far into builds can they be before they would be disallowed?

A couple of questions spring to mind about subject choice. Russian aircraft carriers are classed as aircraft carrying cruisers (something to do with going through the Bosphorus I believe) so what's the score with them? I'm sure the Kuznetsov will be fine as that's very much an aircraft carrier (with cruise missile silos under the flight deck) but what about the Kiev's? They don't have full length flight decks and are more like cruisers than Kuznetsov but that said they did operate an air wing of helos and Yak-38's, in numbers that a light carrier would have. I ask because I have both the Kuznetsov and Kiev in the stash.

Also what about Graf Zeppelin? Trumpeter are releasing that and the ship was actually virtually complete before work stopped (Goring interference I think). Anyway, I have most of the IJN aircraft carriers in my stash and quite a few WW2 USN options, so I could easily pick and choose something at any time.

thanks

Mike

PS re-read the rules, so I guess Graf Zeppelin is out then!

Edited by Mikemx
  • Like 1

Hi Mike, welcome aboard.

For your first question the 25% rule applies to builds started, but there is some leeway with that. If when the time comes you can post some more details and photos will help as well.

Ok for the next two, both are fine. The Kuznetsov is fine, it's very much like the current crop of "smaller" carriers with ramps. The Kiev class are a bit of an oddity but they do (sort of) have a flight deck that extends from the stern to just past the main superstructure, and they did operate aircraft off them. So they sort of fit the bill in this case.

But IJN carriers would be very nice to see!

And before anyone asks the Moskva class vessels are not allowed.

Now I have read something about the Graf Zeppelin, I was wondering if a Bf-109T1/2 would be buildable for this GB?! I have got a T2 in the stash so, might be interesting to do. Maybee I have streched the GB a bit?!:D

As I know that What if's are not allowed it has to be one from JG11 or JG77.:D

Cheers,

3 hours ago, Arniec said:

Now I have read something about the Graf Zeppelin, I was wondering if a Bf-109T1/2 would be buildable for this GB?! I have got a T2 in the stash so, might be interesting to do. Maybee I have streched the GB a bit?!:D

As I know that What if's are not allowed it has to be one from JG11 or JG77.:D

Cheers,

hmmm no! While she was built she was never operational, actually I don't think she even moved under her own power! Best save her for the Whiffy GB! :D

Count me in, I did the Graf Zeppelin some years ago.

GrafZeppelin_f01.jpg

Two more carriers in the stash, CVN-65 Enterprise and Admiral Kuznetsov and a lot of planes too.

I have some oddities too.

A thing that flies on a thing that sinks, the Aichi M6A Seiran on the I-400 sub (hard to land again though)

or why not

A thing that flies on things that flies, the Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk hooked up below the USS Akron and Macon.

They sure are full length... ;)

• Like 2

welcome aboard

1 hour ago, SAU said:

Count me in, I did the Graf Zeppelin some years ago.

Two more carriers in the stash, CVN-65 Enterprise and Admiral Kuznetsov and a lot of planes too.

I have some oddities too.

A thing that flies on a thing that sinks, the Aichi M6A Seiran on the I-400 sub (hard to land again though)

or why not

A thing that flies on things that flies, the Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk hooked up below the USS Akron and Macon.

They sure are full length... ;)

hmmm not so sure about those oddities.......

1 hour ago, alex said:

if it landed back on it then maybe! :D If they had turned it the other way it would have made for a VERY quick trip!

This is a great idea Rich.

In the stash I have an Airfix Dauntless, around 8 years ago I bought around every bit of after market I could find for it. Some isn't even meant for that kit.

It was to be, at some point, my first attempt at 'aftermarket everything'.

This sounds like the opportunity to finally try and see if it can all go together.

I would try to do an Operation Leader one. 

I'm in :)!

TonyT

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well up for this. Please put me down for this. I would have in the stash more Japanese carrier planes, and planes from HMS Victorious than you could shake a stick at. Also some carriers. 

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura
incomplete

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Rich

Having seen the Graf Zeppelin mentioned it reminds me I have a Formaplane Fieseler Fi 167 Vacform kit in the stash, is this an excuse to build it ?

Cheers Pat

unfortunately as interesting as the Fieseler Fi 167 is it and other Luftwaffe carrier aircraft are not eligible. While the Graf Zeppelin was built is was never operational and actually never even sailed under her own power. So unfortunately her and her planned aircraft are not eligible. 

Well that's plan A done for :poo:

Plan B is an ancient Frog Barracuda which I would like to build as one of the aircraft that went after the Tirpitz 

:waiting: I await your decision!

cheers Pat