A-7 Corsair Dio

An A-7 build with a typical tc twist.......,

IMG_6648_zpsxjbn2gxp.jpg

IMG_6649_zpsxisdzdqw.jpg

IMG_6650_zpsnmqjgl2z.jpg

Not sure I`m going to go with the kit decals right now but I was actually pretty impressed with the kit detail. 

Just a shame my idea will mean it`s all closed up and not on show.

• Like 3

So the build id progressing well and I have nothing so far but good things to say about it. It`s a simple construction which fits reasonably well and has some very good detail. 

So far my only observation which would IMPO improve the kit, is the weapons load out. A few more options would be nice.

IMG_6667_zpsy0uh61ko.jpg

It would seem my last bit of wood chip board is not going to be big enough for what I have planned, so it`s off to B&Q some time next week to obtain an alternate.

• Like 4

lookin' good my favorite US Navy jet form the Vietnam era. An aircraft that looked like it was going out to do a job and came back having completed it. All the kit decals for all the 48th kits released have offered less that colourful markings, so yes I can understand you wanting to go for AM subjects. I'll be following your build with interest.

Colin

• Like 1

I hope I don`t disappoint..!

Going for the low vis Desert Storm option from the kit now, all part of the plan. ;)

Set everything hanging down in a landing configuration and played around with a Dark Ghost Grey to see if it will fit the bill. 

The answer to that is yes.

IMG_6670_zpshwejq6s4.jpg

• Like 3

Today`s update is all about the base.....  and no treble !  (Ok, enough with the song jokes). A quick trip this morning to B&Q and a far more suitable base was acquired....,

IMG_6673_zpsmhd22kpv.jpg

.... and while on my travels to the paint section I came across this product which peaked my interest. Considering I`m making a US carrier deck base, that texture look may come in handy. 

IMG_6676_zpsfj6i938c.jpg

And so 5 hours later........, I`ve ended up with this....,

IMG_6681_zps49xx0lor.jpg

I`ve added a couple of light sprays of other greys to add to colour staining and tomorrow I`ll complete the weathering added the rubber marks etc. As the photo below shows, that texture spray looks very effective and I`m more than happy with the result.

IMG_6682_zpsqa92hmc6.jpg

And with the A-7 posed in this final shot, I`m pretty sure I`ve given the game away with my master plan.

IMG_6677_zpsf8rmo7qw.jpg

• Like 6

The texture looks most impressive. Did the original material have any texture to it? i presume it was fairly smooth.

Not sure if its worth a try, but would a rubber Tamiya tyre be useful for making skid marks?

-d-

• Like 1

Dio base weathering/markings completed along with the majority of the A-7 build. 

Just the u/c doors to go before starting on the barrier.

IMG_6685_zpsgnpjide1.jpg

IMG_6688_zpspckicnyv.jpg

• Like 2

No doubt you have seen these pics of an actual event, you can zoom in on them:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6476839

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6480432

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6476838

note it still has a Mk-83 on the inboard pylon since it couldn't jettison it due to the gear being down. Also there is an AIM-9 on the right fuselage side with none on the other side, perhaps it was already removed by the time the pic was taken.

Jari

• Like 1

Jari, thank you very much for these links and they will be excellent reference points for the barrier build. :yes:

Although I have seen one of these photo`s before, I`m wasn`t building this event, just a random event with a similat outcome. 

Edited by tc2324