Jump to content

Recommended Posts

HI All

Frankenstein's Canberra? for a long time I've been wanting to build an accurate B.57 in 1/72 addressing all the issues with the Italeri kit. So I did just that and this is the result. I've used the parts from the Italeri kit mostly the forward fuselage/nose, the rest of the fuselage is Airfix, the wings are FROG with bits from the Italeri kit. I also accurately scribed the detail. For the full build, it's here  RB.57E WIP The paint is Halfords Nissan Silver, with panels picked out with various shades of silvers brush painted, decals are a mix of Extradecal and spares box.

1_zps3y655plr.jpg

2_zpsewriae11.jpg

3_zpsxdsudbzg.jpg

4_zpse0ynyawi.jpg

fly_zpshogu1amw.jpg

And a comparison between the unmodified Italeri B.57B and my effort

6_zpsqrjldcay.jpg

John 

 

 

 

  • Like 56
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,John - I thought this beauty would be gracing RFI today, Judging by these photos,I reckon she wears just about the best NMF scheme I've seen you do.

The paint finish has a realistic sheen and along with her stablemate on the ramp,looks superb.

Great job and well done,That Man!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

John,

 

That is a very complex build you have undertaken.

 

It looks great. Beautiful work on the cockpit.

 

Michael

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Silver splendour. A pleasure as always watching you work John, whilst the results speak for themselves.

Magnificent!

Tony

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

John, my salute to a thorough and excellent modification works!! Having hard time to pick a choice on both subjects, but the metal one is more to my choice..Pick up some pointers in your WIP . . Thanks for sharing.... Regards

 

Farouk (tausugAir-HARIBON Decals)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well worth the extra effort.

Simply splendid.

Thanks Pete!

19 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - I thought this beauty would be gracing RFI today, Judging by these photos,I reckon she wears just about the best NMF scheme I've seen you do.

The paint finish has a realistic sheen and along with her stablemate on the ramp,looks superb.

Great job and well done,That Man!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, you must be psychic :) I won't be making a habit of this NMF lark!

19 hours ago, Michael Enright said:

John,

 

That is a very complex build you have undertaken.

 

It looks great. Beautiful work on the cockpit.

 

Michael

Thank you Michael, it was a complex build but fun, I do like an old school kit bash challenge and this fit the bill.

John 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks Pete!

Thanks Paul, you must be psychic :) I won't be making a habit of this NMF lark!

Thank you Michael, it was a complex build but fun, I do like an old school kit bash challenge and this fit the bill.

John 

Hello again,John - I don't know if you'll make a habit of NMF Larkies but you certainly don't need much practice!😉👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, canberra kid said:

HI All

Frankenstein's Canberra? for a long time I've been wanting to build an accurate B.57 in 1/72 addressing all the issues with the Italeri kit. So I did just that and this is the result. I've used the parts from the Italeri kit mostly the forward fuselage/nose, the rest of the fuselage is Airfix, the wings are FROG with bits from the Italeri kit. I also accurately scribed the detail. For the full build, it's here  RB.57E WIP The paint is Halfords Nissan Silver, with panels picked out with various shades of silvers brush painted, decals are a mix of Extradecal and spares box.

1_zps3y655plr.jpg

2_zpsewriae11.jpg

3_zpsxdsudbzg.jpg

4_zpse0ynyawi.jpg

fly_zpshogu1amw.jpg

And a comparison between the unmodified Italeri B.57B and my effort

6_zpsqrjldcay.jpg

John 

 

 

 

You, sir, are one sick puppy, but one heckuva modeler! Fantastic work on one of the most beautiful jet bombers of all time! Guessing the ground crew cleaned off the exhaust stains on the fuselage  from the cartridge starter on the LH nacelle on both of your models! I remember the first time I saw the engine startup on a USAF B-57B, I thought the engine had caught fire!  Then it was clear why the aircrew started the RH engine first to get power to close the canopy before cranking up the other engine! BTW, what paint did you use for the International Orange- it looks spot-on!

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one fine looking model, well done that man.  Top tip with the silver paint as well - I will add that to the shopping list!!

 

Phil

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Silver splendour. A pleasure as always watching you work John, whilst the results speak for themselves.

Magnificent!

Tony

Thank you very much Tony, it was good to have your company 

22 hours ago, Dave N said:

Very nice indeed... That in flight shot is excellent!

Thank's David! I was quite chuffed with it :)

15 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Wonderful build John, will look for the WIP to take notes.

Cheers!!!  

Thanks Luis, if you need any pointers let me know.

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though jets are not my chosen subject, I still appreciate the beauty of the earlier designs, and to see them modelled to this standard is a treat. The build was a joy to follow and the RFI is up with it

 Beautifully photographed as well as built!

 

Ian

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Very smart!

Thanks Phil!

On 15/05/2017 at 4:12 PM, 72modeler said:

You, sir, are one sick puppy, but one heckuva modeler! Fantastic work on one of the most beautiful jet bombers of all time! Guessing the ground crew cleaned off the exhaust stains on the fuselage  from the cartridge starter on the LH nacelle on both of your models! I remember the first time I saw the engine startup on a USAF B-57B, I thought the engine had caught fire!  Then it was clear why the aircrew started the RH engine first to get power to close the canopy before cranking up the other engine! BTW, what paint did you use for the International Orange- it looks spot-on!

Mike

Thank you very much Mike, my crew chief is very keen on a clean bird! I was and may still add the soot from the starter, it's very much a thing on the B.57. The black powder in the US cartridges was a lot smokier than the British equivalent. The orange is a bit tricky, I take it you live on the other side of the pond? I used a rattle can from a car parts and accessory store over here, it's called "Racking Orange" It does have an RAL number is it helps?  

IMG_0286_zps525251bf.jpg 

 

On 15/05/2017 at 4:33 PM, Booty003 said:

That is one fine looking model, well done that man.  Top tip with the silver paint as well - I will add that to the shopping list!!

 

Phil

The Revell paints are really good Phil 

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Even though jets are not my chosen subject, I still appreciate the beauty of the earlier designs, and to see them modelled to this standard is a treat. The build was a joy to follow and the RFI is up with it

 Beautifully photographed as well as built!

 

Ian

Thank you very much Ian!

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

She's lovely John, it just shows what can be done with a bit of effort, and lots of skill and patience. Terrific paint job too!

 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, canberraman said:

She's lovely John, it just shows what can be done with a bit of effort, and lots of skill and patience. Terrific paint job too!

 

Mark

@canberraman Thanks very much Mark, it was a fun build but one I won't be repeating for a while, my next 1/72 Canberra kit bash will be the best of all Canberra's the mighty PR.7!

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely cracking job John, you certainly nailed the NMF ! It was a joy to follow your WIP it just shows what a bit of effort and knowledge of the subject can do.

Love your other 57's too :clap2:

One day I will get round to my PR9 !

Well done my friend.

 

Guy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very impressive John. Great NMF and I love the in flight photo. Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...