Revell 1/32 Spitfire MKix

stevej60

Hi folk's well you knew a few Spitfire's would make it here! I'm going to give Revel's re-vamped 1/32 kit a go

Spitfire_zpslxer7s89.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

Photobucket is being awkward again here goes with the sprue shot's

DSCN5026_zpsfppnwb6d.jpg

Major part's above with new wing's.and upper wing with new wheel's.

DSCN5028_zpshsp8yg1f.jpg

A fair sized part's count.Good decal's and choice of marking's complete the package.

DSCN5029_zpswqrityls.jpg

DSCN5027_zpsd1rgskaz.jpg

I've had a Google at this Canadian squadron's Aircraft and there are shot's of them in Normandy "striped up" If I can prove this

airframe wore them it's a must to add them if not it still should build into a nice sized Spitfire,the big question most have asked

is how does it compare to Tamiya's kit? I have never build or seen Tamiya's kit but I can guarantee it is not as refined or engineered,

However most outlet's including my LMS are knocking them out at just over £25 which to me sell's it I'll leave Tamiya's beautiful kit

to those more capable modeller's out there to make their magic,when you see the alternative silver scheme I think a few folk might

buy two!

• Like 8

Looking forward to seeing this one in progress. Got to agree about the price - it would be wrong to leave it in the LMS at at only £25! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Hope that you can find evidence of the stripes for this one Steve, but it should look great with or without them. 

Still looking John!

42 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Looking forward to seeing this one in progress. Got to agree about the price - it would be wrong to leave it in the LMS at at only £25! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank's Stix I did the Mk 2 when he was knocking them out for sixteen quid wish I had bought the one he was offering for a tenner

after someone nicked the decal's,hoping to find the Hobbyboss Mk vb in the same scale at the upcoming Northern show.

• Like 1

Hmm I don't appear to have any sprue shots of either Tamiya Spitfire IX that I've built, but I can assure you that the Tamiya Sprue count is about double the Revell one! There are multiple sprues associated with the engine alone, plus the removable engine covers held on with small magnets.

I built the MK II Revell kit a couple of years back for the BoB GB and if memory serves it was pretty painless.

DSC_3770.JPG

DSC_3782.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Steve,

Just been checking a reference that I used for the BoB III group build and if you scroll down this page you will find MJ832 listed, I thought that you may be interested. HTH

Spitfire Production Data

Cheers

I've been looking at it's background also John, I wouldn't be surprised if stripes were applied but no evidence to back up my idea.

9 hours ago, spaddad said:

shot down before D-Day?

Unfortunately it was Dave probably as the ID markings were being rolled out across the squadrons so she'll remain as is.I'm sure the AM

guy's will put out suitable set of decals in the future and give me an excuse for another build!

That's a fair chunk of model for £25 so I'm sure it'll be a big seller for Revell and as you say Steve the aftermarket decal options are bound to be numerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

That's a fair chunk of model for £25 so I'm sure it'll be a big seller for Revell and as you say Steve the aftermarket decal options are bound to be numerous.

My thought's exactly Col,even an OOB build can give you a good few week's work for your money and if it sell's well pray we get the Hurricane

to follow.

• Like 1

There is already a huge aftermarket choice for a 1:32 Spifire IX after the Tamiya offering a few years back.

Fly are doing 1:32 Hurricanes which, although they aren't as simple a build as Tamiya or Revell, will do the job with a bit of care, I've been building a IIc for a 5 Sqn Burma diorama over here:

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, stevej60 said:

However most outlet's including my LMS are knocking them out at just over £25 which to me sell's it ....when you see the alternative silver scheme I think a few folk might buy two!

my first one was £19 !   But I did get a second one at another LMS .. a liitle bit more than that. Watching with interest. Any suggestions as to where I can get some seat-belts without doubling my investment ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

my first one was £19 !   But I did get a second one at another LMS .. a liitle bit more than that. Watching with interest. Any suggestions as to where I can get some seat-belts without doubling my investment ?

I make my own with masking tape as I'm too miserly to by AM part's see what you think when I reach that stage!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I make my own with masking tape as I'm too miserly to by AM part's see what you think when I reach that stage!

Steve, you are damn right!!!

There are no small profilts. You should try mixing flour and water to use instead of Tamiya glue. Will save you a bundle!

Have a lot of fun with this big beast!

JR

• Like 1

Hi folk's well we're off and I'm really hoping to put a lot more into this one in respect pre-shading and a few new trick's with weathering etc

but that's for a bit further down the line,for now here's the basic cockpit pieces.

20170522_135543_zpszt2lzqkw.jpg

And the start of the building process,My camera is Kaput so photos are taken on my phone,I popped a finished build into RFI aircraft

today as a first test and to be honest I'm not too happy with them so a new Camera is on the shopping list but it does take half decent

photos for this kind of thing.

20170522_143043_zpsn9mjziew.jpg

• Like 5

...I did see some criticism of the 'lack' of cockpit detail ..but it's still 20-odd of the 50 or so build stages. It is so far a pretty uncomplicated build, although the frame for the seat I found a little tricky. Revell indicate the IX seat colour as interior green but it appears the IX seat was the same bakelite brown as on earlier models (with a dark brown seat cushion)

On 5/20/2017 at 11:00 PM, stevej60 said:

..decided to go with some Eduard late RAF belts (steel), its the buckles that defeat me when attempting my own - just under a tenner for three sets of belts. Still more than half the original kit price though!

• Like 1