Kit-Starter - Beagle Basset 206 - FINISHED

nimrod54

I have managed to squeeze a couple of short sessions in on this over the last two days, so I cracked on with applying the decals. I completed the wings yesterday afternoon and the fuselage this afternoon. Just some final details to sort now and that should see this one finished.

36446808135_78e17d7233_c.jpg

36446809435_6b243f9774_c.jpg

36446810025_6484503c2a_c.jpg

• Like 11

Hi John,

this model may be 1/72, but it is shockingly tiny! 

It is beautiful and your achievement is even more commendable considering the size.

Great show

JR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

this model may be 1/72, but it is shockingly tiny! 

It is beautiful and your achievement is even more commendable considering the size.

Great show

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your kind comment. Just all the fiddly bits to do now, and after having another look at the undercarriage legs, I am considering trying to do something with those too. They look a wee bit flimsy around the scissor links and would benefit from something stronger in this area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your kind comment. Just all the fiddly bits to do now, and after having another look at the undercarriage legs, I am considering trying to do something with those too. They look a wee bit flimsy around the scissor links and would benefit from something stronger in this area.

Hi John,

now you are going to tell me that you are going to replace the flimsy plastic with micro tubing... or something just as insane!

Please tell me you're not!?

Who needs to watch thrillers on TV when we have BM.

Impressive.

JR

23 hours ago, zebra said:

Nice work. I have fond memories of building this kit a long time ago (even though I remember it as a resolute tail sitter).

I think that this one is teetering on the edge, but I should be able to squeeze a bit more weight in the nacelles if needed.  :fingerscrossed:

13 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

You are certainly improving this one! A classic classic Airfix build, if you see what I mean...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I do understand where you are coming from. Whilst the improvements are not up to the standard your 'Mollins Madness Mossie', I am happy with the way this one is going.

10 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

This is turning out really well John, I have one of these (older boxing) in the stash and am tempted to break it out and have a go at it.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Ray, this kit goes together well for its age and is definitely worth the extra effort.

I have been working on some of the details that I wanted to add/improve to this model and found some time to add a couple of grab handles to the fuselage along with the rudder trim tab link on Saturday afternoon. These were made from Albion Alloys brass rod and plastic strip, they just need some paint to finish them off.

36674715926_982fb7b7b5_c.jpg

36674718006_4d95806dcb_c.jpg

• Like 6

John and his stash of Albion Alloy rods. No model is safe!

She's looking great buddy. I see you in the Blitz build this year. It's a cracking little GB, really gets your time management going. I have another kitchen pass for good DIY behaviour. Hope Caron gives you plenty of time off too. 

• Like 1

Looking very nice chap!  Worth doing the extra work like the fin for example.  I built around four of these when they originally appeared and based them on the few civvy ones I used to see at my local spotting ground  Shoreham outside the Beagle works. G-AVLK in yellow white with trim. G-ATHO  in red and similar trim to 'VLK. I also recollect seeing a one of with the enlarged cabin there once. Don't recall the reg of that one though. 

As an aside, on one of the my ATC AE flights in Chipmunks from Shoreham one year, we had to wait for said Chippies as they were weather bound, I think, at Hamble. So to pass the hime we were shown around the Beagle works where inside was virtually the last production of the BEAGLE PUP! Loads in there in varying stages of assembly and painting.  I think with the others I saw on different occasions, I saw every Pup, except around four, ever made!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

John and his stash of Albion Alloy rods. No model is safe!

And I may not have finished yet bud.  :D I'm looking forward to the Blitzbuild. My kits parts count is low and the plan is to build them OOB and try to resist making any changes, but I should probably get some acrylics to help with painting, we'll see how things go.

@Paul J

Thanks very much Paul. The extra work must have been worth it because Mrs N has said that when finished, I can display this one in the living room, which is a first in this household, usually they are confined to my cabinet.

That's some serious spotting with the Beagle Pups. I always enjoyed seeing light aircraft types visit at Ringway and my favourite regular visitor was a Beechcraft Bonanza, I don't recall the registration though. It's a pity that mainstream kit makers seem to neglect light aircraft types, but not too surprising because I guess that the market interest would be pretty low.

Cheers John. I know the feeling when one is allowed to display a model in the house!! All mine are in boxes stored in one of my sheds. A few on display in a cheap small cabinet in my other, modelling shed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just few more details to sort and I can call this one done. I added the undercarriage yesterday and the doors, aerials and lights were completed this morning. The wing tip lights were made from blobs of Glue 'n' Glaze so need painting to complete them. I also want to make a pitot for under the port wing and I still have to paint the de-ice strips on the prop edges then final fit those.

36978696975_a4a2b0f100_c.jpg

36978698025_d0b3a7fef8_c.jpg

I had a go at making a couple of wipers last night but I will see how easy it will be to fit those before deciding whether to use them.

36978699265_675fbcf1db_c.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Some very nice scratch wipers. She's all looking great. 

Thanks a lot buddy, but I think that I am going to leave them off until I can come up with a better solution. The connection of the wiper arm is a bit flimsy and would probably result in a domestic if Mrs N goes near it with a duster.

This is a little stunner John; well

done. The grab handles and activator are nice finishing touches.

The pictures give no sense of how tiny it is; it looks like e.g. a 1/32 professional desktop model.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the kind comment Tony.

Apart from the wipers, I have completed the last few details that I had planned to do today, so with the end of the group build a few weeks away, and two more builds to finish (one having had very little work done) I am calling this one done.

Here is the end result

36817455376_1bfcd0c1b2_c.jpg

Thanks for all the interest, comments and support throughout this build. I will post more photos in the gallery shortly.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Mach82 said:

Superb build John. The attention to the details really do make this a special kit. It has been a pleasure following along. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Mark, I'm glad that you have enjoyed the journey. :)