Airfix F-111E "Somewhere in England"

AdrianMF

Right. So I'm back from travels and armed with my US-Airfix "F-111F" kit.

I am currently slammed for time and know little about F-111s, so this will be more or less OOB. I won't be correcting any shape errors, but I will be adding some detail because my home audience (my daughter) likes stuff like seat belts! I will therefore spend some time on making it look less toy like:

* cockpit detail, possibly opened canopy

* deeper and detailed wheel wells

* better wheels

* engine details

Extra detail will come from the spares box and scrap plastic. I also have an ample supply of filler, which I am sure I will need! It will be in an Upper Heyford  scheme, which ironically is in the native but not the US boxing. I will cross that bridge when I get there.

So gentlemen I beg your indulgence!

The box and the parts:

IMG_5235.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

Paint scheme could be a little clearer...

IMG_5237.jpg

That pesky main undercarriage assembly sequence explained:

IMG_5239.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

Built this many moons age and remember the thinnest tail on any model I ever built. The wheels are rubbish too you need to do something about them.

Saw these kits every now and then, but never seen one built, very interesting old kit, I see from zooming in It's circa 1979 so not really ancient, but getting rarer. All the best with it Adrian 

Glynn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I see from zooming in It's circa 1979 so not really ancient

Thanks Gentlemen. The wheels are firmly on the hit list, as per my opening post. The kit was actually first released in 1967, as described here. 

Regards,

Adrian

I was going to scribe the bomb bay doors but the plastic is very hard and difficult to scribe, my scribing sucks at the best of times, and the raised detail that I was following was wrong anyway. So I thought I might as well cut them out and have an open bomb bay:

IMG_5259.jpg

I've given the inside bits a coat of off white, and I've got some bomb bay door hinges to make. I will file some slots in the edge of the bay to simulate the recessed hinges that let the doors slide up the fuselage. As you can see, I have also modified the kit main undercarriage a bit.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 15

Hi Adrian, welcome aboard with a real classic even if it's in a rather unusual boxing for most people. 

I remember my brother building this model (well the original UK Airfix one), I was into tanks back then but it was so cool with the "swing wing"!

Good to see you're off to a great start and WOW that is some really nice scratch building work you've done on the main wheel and weapons bay!! 

Good luck with the build, it's great to see fresh life being breathed into some of these really early models! Looking forward to following the rest of your build and seeing her in the gallery. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I was going to scribe the bomb bay doors but the plastic is very hard and difficult to scribe, my scribing sucks at the best of times, and the raised detail that I was following was wrong anyway. So I thought I might as well cut them out and have an open bomb bay:

IMG_5259.jpg

I've given the inside bits a coat of off white, and I've got some bomb bay door hinges to make. I will file some slots in the edge of the bay to simulate the recessed hinges that let the doors slide up the fuselage. As you can see, I have also modified the kit main undercarriage a bit.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

G'day Adrian,

Wow, really nice details and good onya for having a crack at an open weapons bay. I see that you even got the small forward doors correctly orientated, a lot of people glue these retracted outwards,

Looking forward to more,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

In the absence of replies I will stick it all together with masking tape and see if it needs a nose weight.

I was wondering what to do about the see through-ness of the wings. I have resorted to some 30 year old draught excluding foam stuck in with superglue. It should be resilient enough to actually work - say 20 sweep changes while constructing, 10 more when my daughter gets back from college and then two sweeps per year:

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

The wheels have been sanded down to more ballon-like tyres from the original buttons, and new rims have been made by winding fuse wire around a paintbrush, which gives a nice variable diameter former:

IMG_5266.jpg

Hub lightening holes will be added with a fine marker pen.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

Adrian, although mine is the Hasegawa kit and it may be a bit late for an answer, I have just done a trial fit with wings at full sweep and the nose falls forward and there is no weight fitted to mine.

• Like 1

I like  the draught excluder for the wing glove,great idea ,re the nose weight although mine is 1/48 hobby boss, no need for weight on that one ,good job really because i completly forgot after tinkering around with the vac canopy,  some impressive scratch building on display here adrian 

Cheers, glynn

• Like 1

Time to make the nose gear. The Airfix part isn't very accurate and has terribly thin wheels. 

I decided to make it out of aluminium tubing, which is stronger than plastic and easier to work than brass. To join the pieces together, I filed holes in the tubing and threaded sections of brass pin down the tubes, then slathered it all in superglue:

IMG_5274.jpg

I'm hoping that the internal wire will remedy the brittle nature of the superglue joins. Time will tell...

I shaped and added plastic card collars and faired them in with superglue too:

IMG_5275.jpg

The wheels are from a Minicraft 1/144 Heinkel 111 with fuse wire rims. Not perfect but they are in my spares box and they are much better than the kit parts:

IMG_5276.jpg

Still more cylinders, lights and wires to add but we're getting there!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7