The other Tim's Italeri 1/48 F111F Aardvark - 48TFW, RAF Lakenheath, Operation El Dorado Canyon, Libya, April 1986

Tim Moff

• 2 months later...

Decals on - just need to sand the underside join so the Pave Tac pod fits flush.....then need to gloss seal, weather and sort the bombs.

VOVr0Ui.jpg

loRoa8W.jpg

PCEVDjP.jpg?1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OK nearly 2 1/2 years later IO have had a tidy up and am determined to get these 2 done before the Battle Of Britain GB.... found the 4th GBU 10E, painted it, just need to find some yellow decals to get on, have them...somewhere.... Dusted off both aircraft and bits, put a dab of Mr Softer on all the decals, next its the gloss seal cote. Need to glue the swing wings in place to simulate the 54 degrees used on the strike.

yRrou8y.jpg

• Like 2

So I had a scheme of work with both builds, get the last bits painted or built up, gloss sealing cote, then onto some wash's. there will be only be a light bit of weathering, the jest always seemed clean, but after 6 hours of flight, in air refuelling etc I expect a bit of muck....

Then a final cote - I am not sure  as to actually dulcote, which is really flat, or use Mr Paints flat clear, that is more satin....my recollection was that the jets seemed to be more stain than matt....

Decals on the Mk 10's

k1Wp6Xt.jpg

Mr paint Gloss sealing cote 

qHARgTY.jpg

Floreys Dark Dirt on the lower bits....

MPSQEF7.jpg

Had to do some sanding to get the Pave Tac pod flush, have primed the pitot, thought I had 2...

EOSKQuL.jpg

Floreys on the top....

5e1iPJT.jpg

Now on the left is Mr Paint Matt and the right, Mr Color Flat...still some silvering from the no step decals...its hard to see but Mr Color is pretty flat, but not quite Dulcote....

DvGiZ7Y.jpg

I think I may go Mr Paint Flat Matt and I can always tone down...?

drEjzup.jpg

Post Floreys wash

gYnDB8o.jpg

Pw32XBM.jpg

RU0PIRm.jpg

Getting there!

• Like 2

Tried the Mr paint matt...initially...

XQLaVTT.jpg

Still seemed v shiny, so i went with the testors Dulcote...

Final assembly has started...

vQKVNB5.jpg

1GghB60.jpg

FGTG4HX.jpg

DAc8cFM.jpg

QEItkV2.jpg

kP7TSGR.jpg

Just need to get the GBU10's on now....then up on the garage rafters...just 2 1/2 years in production!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK we're done after 3 years! Not perfect, issues with joins and seams, but I think it looks ok.

As one of 18 F-111s involved, 74-0177 flew with Jewell cell as JEWEL 63. Using its ‘Pave Tack’ Thermal Imaging/laser target acquisition, designation and tracking system, dropped its four laser-guided GBU-10C/B 907kg/2,000lb bombs on the Murat Sidi Balal terrorist training camp west of Tripoli that hit the Frogman Training Pool used for training terrorists in underwater sabotage.

The intended target was missed by 100ft (30m) as it was obscured by the smoke of bombs dropped by another aircraft.

8f7ovs5.jpg

jgnuEZ2.jpg

wuI3uxs.jpg

IjyaIbh.jpg

8ipsI4A.jpg

Qj7lXx1.jpg

tbloPmI.jpg

vqWVYbl.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff