This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
andrewfl290

Alien Covenant

Saw this last Thursday, a thoroughly enjoyable film, I didn't think it was as good as Prometheus but it answered some questions. On the other hand it raised some more particularly when you look at the timeline from Prometheus through Alien Covenant to Alien. To me it doesn't quite add up and as the film has only just been released I don't want to explain it here and spoil it for others. Certainly an interesting revelation.

Do I want to see it again, yes I do.

Yes, I enjoyed it, but felt that it did not have the shock value of the original  film some four decades ago. I guess more will come out when the DVD is released.

Just seen it. Quite good.

Lots of little homages to the original Alien film. I thought there was a little nod to Star Trek: In to darkness. And I had to explain "The man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo" to my Son.

It does seem to mess with the timelines a bit, especialy if you include Alien V Predator in the sequence.

After Prometheus it's definitely a bit of a let down. It's an enjoyable enough film but I think the whole story was pointless. I was hoping for more of a David/Shaw film but got a run of the mill sci-fi based on the Alien franchise. 

It's got to the point where I feel really uncomfortable with my feelings about modern sci-fi movies of the mega-franchise variety! I know a lot of people whose opinions I thoroughly admire and respect can find plenty to like in them. But (oooh, here he goes again!) I simply cannot 'get' them. Not even a leetle bit. I'm happy to 'out' myself as a non-fan of anything Star Trek -well, anything after TOS anyway :smirk:, but I do get awfully proprietorial about Star Wars, and even more so about Alien.

I have not seen Covenant, and have no wish to, but I have seen Prometheus and hated every moment. 21st century movie tropes aside, the real problem I have is that I cannot relate anything about the universe in which they are set to that of the original, the first sequel, and even that of Blade Runner, which could easily have occurred on the Earth to which Dallas, Ripley and Co. were returning before their little contretemps. We'll see where the sequel to that one goes...! It's the same with Star Wars -everything since Return Of The Jedi seems out of another reality entirely: I know it's a biiig universe, and you need more than a day to see it all, but I just can't make 'em meet in the middle. Plus the fact that I find the later instalments of all these franchises quite appallingly made and scripted, but that is a subjective thing. I can never shake the conviction that they're all rather cynically thrown together as a cash-in -as Roger Waters once put it, "...who care's what it's about as long as the kids go!" And I never thought I'd be that much it tune with him!

Aaaand there's a Predator re-boot (re-tread?) coming over the hill soon...I am waiting with more trepidation than anticipation, but who knows, that could just be the one that restores the balance in the Force...oh yer bugger, I'm even getting my franchises tangled now.

Because I DON'T want to be that guy!

(Now where's me 'Rant Off' button...anyone seen the manual? No? Waiting til they make the movie, eh...?)

Edited by AngstROM

I saw it yesterday.

Some of the tech was good but.........meh. Even Alien 3 was better :unamused:

i won't be buying the DVD.

Trevor

On 2017-5-29 at 1:13 PM, T7 Models said:

overly bleak and depressing. Even for an Alien film.

T7, reading that gave me a hearty guffaw. My thanks.:D

Tony

After the unmitigated disaster that was Prometheus, I'm done with this franchise apart from Alien and Aliens.

I refused to have anything to do with the Aliens v Predator cash in movies and very glad I was to.

"We're on an express elevator to hell, going down!"

Spoiler alert

it was kind of a Rogue One for Alien, with the added bonus of a Fassbender getting killed - and we get to blame the alien plague on the other one.

It was too long and full of waffle (just like SW ep 7), but it was waaaaaay better than prometheus.

I totally agree that it was an awful movie, but was I the only one who thought Danny McBride was really good in it?  That to me was the most shocking part of the entire movie.  

Just watched it after buying the bluray.

I was not disappointed, it was everything I expected it to be. Complete, absolute and utter tripe. I kept hoping that it would pick up but alas, no. I cannot think of anything positive to say about it. 

But, like the muppet I am, I will, no doubt, buy the next instalment, in the vain hope that it will be better.

Graham