1/72 mistercraft lynx- my first RFI!

Hi, so here is my first ever ready for inspection post. I have decided to show my recently finished 1/72 lynx in royal marines markings. I used the mistercraft kit which I believe is a reboxed plastyk one. Very basic and poor quality kit. But used it as a basis to attempt some scratch building of parts. I am reasonably pleased with my efforts although due to the thickness of the clear parts I made a hash of them thus there is glue on them as they fell off after I joined the two fuselage halves together. So quite a challenge to get them attached again! Painted with humbrol paints. 

Any advice good or bad most appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

2017-05-14_10-01-03

2017-05-14_10-02-21

2017-05-14_10-01-44

2017-05-14_10-01-182017-05-14_10-00-442017-05-14_10-00-16

• Like 19

Probably heat suppressors to cool the exhaust gases & lower the IR signature, helps protect against portable heat seeking missiles up your behind. :)

Max, you've done a decent job on a pretty awful looking kit by the look of the heavy details. Its certainly looks like a Lynx to me. :thumbsup2:

Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tentacles said:

Nice Lynx. What are those boxes on the back of the engine? Noise suppressors?

Thanks tentacles, to be honest I don't really know, I like the look of the Lynx but don't really know much about it really. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I could answer that one for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Probably heat suppressors to cool the exhaust gases & lower the IR signature, helps protect against portable heat seeking missiles up your behind. :)

Max, you've done a decent job on a pretty awful looking kit by the look of the heavy details. Its certainly looks like a Lynx to me. :thumbsup2:

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it was an awful kit but surprised by the lack of options for a 1/72 Lynx that are available. It was fun trying out new scratch building, I had to add a lot to it as it was pretty basic. The kit was of an ah-1 but I wanted an ah-7 so had  to make all the bits and bobs it lacked. It looks like a lynx to me not being an expert on the aircraft. 

Cheers matt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodders154 said:

Having ditched this kit myself I think you have made an excellent job

Well done

Rodders

Thanks rodders.

it was tempting at times to ditch it and was rather disappointed by it when I opened the box but it was cheap I suppose. Good practice for scratch building!

cheers 

matt

• Like 1

Hi Matt. Congratulations on your first RFI - may there be many more! :thumbsup: Nice job too with what was obviously a difficult kit. Well done! 

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Matt!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful build!!1

End this  one is a success, and try a scratch of a bird variant there are not in the market is another, anyway, with patience and good advices from the good people here around you for sure will pay a great quantity of dividends in the next builds you will have, as you can make any quations to them and willbe answered ASAP. 

This you have worked with is the old and venerable FROG effort released in the 60's/70's and which moulds passed to NOVO and many other kits manufacturers in the eastern bloc, and now released by Mistercraft /ZTS Plastic brands...so,  don't worry. This one has many things that lacks from other more recent kits as Airfix or Fujimi. Any way, as Stevenhnz said, you got a pretty decent build from  this one.  

Cheers and thank you very much for let the artist that lives inside you to make nice things that deserve comendation,so continue working and keep modeling toperfect those techniques you willbe learning here.

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

Matt O, the scratch built parts very much paid off as the kit finish came out great!  that sure is a sign of a modeler/model-maker: creating and NOT complaining on what's not there in the kit... Seeing your build reminds  me not to forget a wish-build tribute for my one time employer Oman Air Force where I came face to face with your subject in RAFO Salalah Air Base Heli Hangar... Many thanks for the reminder and inspiration... Regards

Farouk (tausugAir-HARIBON Decals)

Edited by tausugAir

On 14 May 2017 at 19:13, PlaStix said:

Hi Matt. Congratulations on your first RFI - may there be many more! :thumbsup: Nice job too with what was obviously a difficult kit. Well done! 

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi stick,

thank you for your comments, I may try an easier kit next time! 

Cheers 

matt

On 15 May 2017 at 05:25, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Matt!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful build!!1

End this  one is a success, and try a scratch of a bird variant there are not in the market is another, anyway, with patience and good advices from the good people here around you for sure will pay a great quantity of dividends in the next builds you will have, as you can make any quations to them and willbe answered ASAP. 

This you have worked with is the old and venerable FROG effort released in the 60's/70's and which moulds passed to NOVO and many other kits manufacturers in the eastern bloc, and now released by Mistercraft /ZTS Plastic brands...so,  don't worry. This one has many things that lacks from other more recent kits as Airfix or Fujimi. Any way, as Stevenhnz said, you got a pretty decent build from  this one.  

Cheers and thank you very much for let the artist that lives inside you to make nice things that deserve comendation,so continue working and keep modeling toperfect those techniques you willbe learning here.

Luis Alfonso

Hi Luis, 

thank you you so much for your kind comments, it was fun trying out new techniques and did require some imagination to make some of the parts. I think I will try something I bit more out of the box next time though! I will be sure to ask all the nice people on here for any advice / questions in future.

many thanks

matt

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tausugAir said:

Matt O, the scratch built parts very much paid off as the kit finish came out great!  that sure is a sign of a modeler/model-maker: creating and NOT complaining on what's not there in the kit... Seeing your build reminds  me not to forget a wish-build tribute for my one time employer Oman Air Force where I came face to face with your subject in RAFO Salalah Air Base Heli Hangar... Many thanks for the reminder and inspiration... Regards

Farouk (tausugAir-HARIBON Decals)

Hi Farouk,

wow, glad I have inspired and reminded you of some memories. I have been inspired by many builds on this site which normally results in my wallet being empty! Thank you for your comments. The kit was like a blank canvas in the end to just try out new techniques, can't really complain about gaining more practice in scratch building! 

Many thanks

matt

• Like 2