Cromwell Mk.IV - 1/48 Tamiya with Hauler PE

PlaStix

The A27M Mk.IV was the first major production version of the Crowell and had the latest Meteor engine. Over 1,935 of these were produced with several hulls types and the new 6-pdr re-chambered as a 75 mm (2.95 in) Q.F.Mk.V/VA gun. It was the most common version of the Cromwell. The Cromwells were developed from the start of WWII and first saw action during the Normandy campaign, although it didn't reach it's full potential until fighting reached open countryside where it's superior speed and agility came to the fore - here it made great advances in pursuit of the enemy across France, Belgium and Holland.

It was a fairly reliable tank which could reach speeds of over 65mph. The main gun was a duel purpose affair which was able to destroy anti-tank guns at long range or penetrate the frontal armour on a Panzer IV at normal battle range.

More information about the Cromwells can be found here.

For this project I'm going to use Tamiya's 1/48 kit:

33802380684_7e6d583af5_c.jpg

I'm going to try and enhance it a bit using this Hauler PE set:

33802380144_5f4bc90cd7_c.jpg

And, if I get the time, I may also make use of some of these:

33802379694_df42fca408_c.jpg

I won't be making a start on this for quite a while though as I'm currently building three Russian tanks in the 'From Russia with Love' GB. Can't wait to get started on it!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Another fine choice Stix,these 1/48 Tamiya kit's really are superb I must have a go someday,hope you do add the figure's

their poses would suit a Tank dio especially post Normandy landing's period I notice the 7th Armoured Div.insignia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Armoured_Division_(United_Kingdom)

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SimonT said:

Really want this kit. I'll be watching as I know this will be great.

I started to look for this kit a few years back and struggled to find any that weren't a rediculous price - asking in a few model shops got me the answer that they were very popular. Then about a year ago there seemed to be more about and at sensible prices. I got mine off Amazon a while back and they currently seem to be about £23 on there. It does look to be a nice kit but I have heard there's a few fit issues here and there, so:fight:

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Another fine choice Stix,these 1/48 Tamiya kit's really are superb I must have a go someday,hope you do add the figure's

their poses would suit a Tank dio especially post Normandy landing's period I notice the 7th Armoured Div.insignia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Armoured_Division_(United_Kingdom)

Hi Steve. It is a great looking tank and Tamiya seem to have done a good job with it. I can highly recommend their 1/48 kits - they are a joy to make. Thank you for the link too. :thumbsup:

I have already started looking for interesting images of Cromwells and then came across one that made me smile - so although it hasn't got wings:

33808141714_1aa561ed59_z.jpg

I cannot find a source for this as it was on someone's Twitter page but the text is in Chinese. If this is a problem I am happy to remove it - I just thought it was fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

A levitating tank, now that would be different. Though I don't think that it would beat the idea of our 'mad scientist' 7 year old son for a Rack-Rail Toilet, which went WHOOSH at the of a button. Much to his embarrassment, it still crops up in family conversations 28 years later. 

Good luck with this one Stix

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

A levitating tank, now that would be different. Though I don't think that it would beat the idea of our 'mad scientist' 7 year son for a Rack-Rail Toilet, which went WHOOSH at the of a button. Much to his embarrassment, it still crops up in family conversations 28 years later. 

Good luck with this one Stix

Hi John. I'm not surprised it's still a talking point!

With regards the 'flying' Cromwell - can I please state, for the record, that I am categorically not going to be attempting to recreate the photo if I do make a vignette to go with the kit!!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Can't say I've seen this kit before but sure we'll see how well it can be built at the hands of a talented modeller with you working on it Stix. Hope you get a chance to do the figures as well.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bull-nut said:

Nice choice 'stix. Got this one in the stash too, so:popcorn:.

Any idea what you are going to do about the notorious SCC15 colour scheme?

SCC15 is an easy fix.

Vallejo Model Colour 70.888 Olive Grey mixed equally with 70.924 Russian Uniform WW2 for an exact match. 

Just thin with Airbrush thinner and spray

It is that simple

Then lighten or darken accordingly

On 14 May 2017 at 1:45 PM, PlaStix said:

33808141714_1aa561ed59_z.jpg

Not sure I'd want to be inside when it landed, bet there were a few choice words spoken by the other crew members, once the concussion had worn off :hmmm::D