Question: A-7D 354th TFW markings, South-East Asia

When the 353rd TFS & 355th TFS of the 354th TFW deployed to Thailand for operations over Vietnam, their aircraft retained all their identifying unit markings, which seems to have been fairly rare among units in Southeast Asia.  There are a couple of items regarding these markings that I'm still unsure of, but I'm sure someone here knows what I'm trying to find out.

Basically, I have two questions:

(1) The aircraft displayed a red or blue band at the top of the fin, which typically identifies the squadron within the wing, but which was which?

7Yfz4wg.jpg

(2) The Wing badge (the white shield in the photo above) was applied to both sides of the fuselage on most aircraft, but occasionally, the squadron badge was displayed on the port side instead.  Was this done throughout the wing at a certain time, or did have some other significance, or was there no real pattern to it?  In fact, were squadron badges applied at all while the wing was in Thailand, or were they only used at home?

355th TFS insignia:
BtehRKy.jpg

356th TFS (3rd squadron of the 354th TFW, not deployed to Thailand)

lO8HTbD.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Possibly Apocryphal
Typo

Fin band colours and tailcodes used up to 1972:

353rd TFS: red / MR, 355th TFS: blue /MB, 4556th CCTS/356th TFS: green /MN, 44554th TFRS: yellow / MB. 

As a quick rule of thumb: individual squadron codes and badges up to 1972, unified MB codes and wing badges on both sides after.

HTH,

Andre 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...