Bell UH-1, Huey, U.S.Army, South Vietnam,

Fantastic work Russ, we share similar tastes in our model making.  I have been adding loads of different model Huey's to the stash and will be building them all one day!!  Got a few for the 20th SOS that will need some scratch building doing for the weapons fit.  I'm loving the camo application on this build - very smart indeed.  I found that a great way to add weight is for large metal washers (or even coins) glued under the cabin floor.

Phil

• Like 1

It would probably be a good base for a UH-1M, like this one that I shot at Camp Robinson in May 1982.

Martin

UH1C_zpsxoqgk7yl.jpg

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Fantastic work Russ, we share similar tastes in our model making.  I have been adding loads of different model Huey's to the stash and will be building them all one day!!  Got a few for the 20th SOS that will need some scratch building doing for the weapons fit.  I'm loving the camo application on this build - very smart indeed.  I found that a great way to add weight is for large metal washers (or even coins) glued under the cabin floor.

Phil

Hi Phil, that`s a good tip regarding nose weight, Cheers

Ironically HobbyBoss make the nose ideal for putting weight in, I just forgot ( actually it`s the first time I`ve had a tail sitting Helio ) :banghead:

Look forward to seeing your Huey`s when they`re done

9 hours ago, somtec said:

Nice camo, did you airbrush or brush paint it free hand or mask it.?

Cheers Somtec, all the painting and weathering were done freehand with a brush as are all my models ( apart from one very large sci-fi subject when I used a rattle can )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, russ c said:

Cheers Somtec, all the painting and weathering were done freehand with a brush as are all my models ( apart from one very large sci-fi subject when I used a rattle can )

Wow all your painting by brush, didnt think so looking at your builds,  how do you get those soft edges on some of the camo jobs such as your vnaf a1-e.?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, somtec said:

Wow all your painting by brush, didnt think so looking at your builds,  how do you get those soft edges on some of the camo jobs such as your vnaf a1-e.?

Hi Somtec,

I don`t like to do this to you but I`m working and juggling a funeral at the minute so I`ve copied a bit out of a reply to Miggers about my Firefly build I did a bit back:

"Thanks for the nice comments and interest in my painting technique.

All I do is; after painting, decaling and Matt Coat I draw the panel lines and control surfaces with a mechanical pencil ( the ones where you push the button on the end to extend the lead ) I have a 0.5mm one for panel lines and a 0.8mm for control surfaces, Matt coat again, then, dirty them up a bit with a darker colour ( usually dark olive drab or dark grey ) using a sort of gentle dry brushing with a thin short stiff brush to add depth to control surface edges and panel lines around access panels/hatches, wing roots, removable fairings, pylons etc. getting lighter as I work outwards and away from areas subject to maintenance, leaks and the like. Areas like underneath subject to oil stains I use the browner shade of olive drab, I continually smudge the paint with my thumb to work it into the surface so that it doesn`t look too bold, Cock ups are easily removed with a pencil eraser before the paint dries.

I then dry brush with a larger flat softer brush a lighter colour any areas where I want to try and replicate fading such as slate grey onto the dark slate grey painted areas and medium or light grey onto the dark sea grey areas on the Firefly. To try to prevent brush marks showing I continually work over the areas with my thumb before it dries.

Leading edges, wing walks and scuffs I do with aluminium, dry brushed on or stippled depending on whether I trying to reproduce scratches or scuff marks.

Exhaust stains and areas around gunports etc are stippled and smudged starting with dark colour ie black or dark grey and using lighter colours as I work outwards.

Then a final Matt coat to bring it all together,

Hope that makes some sense, but you did ask !

Oh and I paint with Humbrol enamels as I find Acrylics dry too fast for me."

In addition to the above soft/feathered edges are done by stippling with a small, short stiff brush.

Thanks again for your interest

Russ 

• Like 1