Breda Ba 27, China 1937, AZ 1/72

Hi,

Next one of ths year - Italian interwar fighter Breda Ba 27 "Metallico" in Chineese colours from 1937. Model made from AZ kit practicly OOB. Only small modification like spinning prop and home made bars in riging instead of PE provided in kit.

Some 12 of them were in use in China and not many more of them were build at all.

Here she is:

breda 27 DSC05278breda 27 DSC05279breda 27 DSC05283breda 27 DSC05284

breda 27 DSC05285breda 27 DSC05288breda 27 DSC05287breda 27 DSC05290

breda 27 DSC05291

breda 27 DSC05293breda 27 DSC05296

breda 27 DSC05297

breda 27 DSC05277

breda 27 DSC05298

So my Chinees '37-'40 shelf get a bit more crawdy:

china%20DSC05286_zps8suxusni.jpg

Coments welcome

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 41

Like the overall finish!!!.... it has strong resemblance to the Boeing P-26 Peashooter which was also in the Chinese AF inventory... will the latter be included in the above flight line?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tausugAir said:

Like the overall finish!!!.... it has strong resemblance to the Boeing P-26 Peashooter which was also in the Chinese AF inventory... will the latter be included in the above flight line?  

TausugAir, many thanks!

Boeing 281/P-26 is one of my favorite machine! I made one P-26 some 45 years ago, than about 40 years ago I washed it from old paint and did again - this time in Philippines colours (!) of 1941/42. Theese days I was following the profile which was published in Czech journal Letectvi+Kosmanautika - I am not sure if it is correct but here is my result (this old P-26):

BTW - The  Philippinian national insignia after WWII was with red outline and on profile (L+K) it was like I did - with blue one. Could you comment it?  

Despite about 350 models on my shelves I do not have still any Ju-88 nor Liberator. I think you can agree that first I have to do them before I will do next P-26 :)  However, before doing Ju-88 or B-24 I will continue some strange ones like this Breda. At least in this year perhaps...

By the way - P-26 and Ba-27 looks similar on drawings, but when you have models of both Breda is much bigger. I will do photo to compare side, in next post :)

Cheers

J-W

Mitch and Neil, thank you, I appreciete.

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

Nice Ba27, what paint colours did you use? My next project will be a p38 in National Chinese colours

Neil - I am using Humbrol 116 for Chineese dark green. Here and the same with others early Chineese seen on the shelf. I have to add that in box AZ suggests Humbrol 30, but i do not think that it is right. In my feeling Humbrol 30  is too bright and fresh. Maybe I am wrong...

However in case of newer machines - like P-43 Lancer I assumed that it stayed in US Olive Drab/Neutral Grey. I think the P38 can be also OD/NG. 

BTW - right now I am doing Curtiss Hawk II, also from China, '37 :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

An aircraft I have never heard of, in the colours of an air force I know nothing about, operating in a conflict about which I know pretty much nil. Please keep posting- you are introducing me to many new types and histories!

Will

• Like 1

A very nice looking model.  Great work on the rigging.  This aircraft looks like the love child of a Boeing P.26 and a Mitsubishi A5M.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JWM said:

TausugAir, many thanks!

Boeing 281/P-26 is one of my favorite machine! I made one P-26 some 45 years ago, than about 40 years ago I washed it from old paint and did again - this time in Philippines colours (!) of 1941/42. Theese days I was following the profile which was published in Czech journal Letectvi+Kosmanautika - I am not sure if it is correct but here is my result (this old P-26):

BTW - The  Philippinian national insignia after WWII was with red outline and on profile (L+K) it was like I did - with blue one. Could you comment it?  

Despite about 350 models on my shelves I do not have still any Ju-88 nor Liberator. I think you can agree that first I have to do them before I will do next P-26 :)  However, before doing Ju-88 or B-24 I will continue some strange ones like this Breda. At least in this year perhaps...

By the way - P-26 and Ba-27 looks similar on drawings, but when you have models of both Breda is much bigger. I will do photo to compare side, in next post :)

Cheers

J-W

J-W, thanks for the acknowledgement!!  Also, many thanks for your interest in Philippine P.A.A.C. P-26 ( the Philippine Army Air Corps) and the educational info on the sizes of the two machines…

As regards the Philippine national insignia, my take (comment) is that Philippine Army Air Corps ceased to exist in 1941 with the blue diamond white lozenge (border) insignia. It reappeared after the end of the war (WW II) and subsequently re-organized as the Philippine Air Force. At about this time the blue-white diamond were modified/updated being flanked by blue bordered white bars (ala U.S.A.F.), the diamond too was outlined/bordered that appeared to be red... Then, in 1947, was revised by replacing the bars with stylized WINGS.. (as per photo in Anido/Tomkins' Pictorial History of the Phil Air Force..) . . This looks remain to the present day 

In existing artworks/paintings of PAAC P-26 (whose artists were working from eyewitness accounts) never sported a blue-white diamond bordered in  blue although one artwork example the same diamond was bordered in Red. The artworks can be seen in page one (1) of the second web "address"

As to the over all  scheme of Phil Army Air Corps' P-26, the reference you quoted in your “…P-26 Philippines 1941…” above ( http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=8688.0  carries a posting by TFeredo (ElJefe in other forum http://pinoyhistory.proboards.com/thread/840/philippine-army-corps-pics-1939?page=2 )

who is consider one of  the most knowledgeable and an authority on Pre-War Philippine military aircraft, particularly the Peashooters... I recommend taking notice of his treatises (thereat) for some accurate rendering of the Peashooter in Philippine Army Air Corps (PAAC)...

Best regards....

Farouk (tausugAir

• Like 2

An interesting and well made model. I especially like the delicate rigging.

And a wonderful little collection on the shelf. Great stuff.

• Like 1

Gents, many thanks for comments so far :)

2 hours ago, tausugAir said:

As regards the Philippine national insignia, my take (comment) is that Philippine Army Air Corps ceased to exist in 1941 with the blue diamond white lozenge (border) insignia. It reappeared after the end of the war (WW II) and subsequently re-organized as the Philippine Air Force. At about this time the blue-white diamond were modified/updated being flanked by blue bordered white bars (ala U.S.A.F.), the diamond too was outlined/bordered that appeared to be red... Then, in 1947, was revised by replacing the bars with stylized WINGS.. (as per photo in Anido/Tomkins' Pictorial History of the Phil Air Force..) . . This looks remain to the present day 

In existing artworks/paintings of PAAC P-26 (whose artists were working from eyewitness accounts) never sported a blue-white diamond bordered in  blue although one artwork example the same diamond was bordered in Red. The artworks can be seen in page one (1) of the second web "address"

As to the over all  scheme of Phil Army Air Corps' P-26, the reference you quoted in your “…P-26 Philippines 1941…” above ( http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=8688.0  carries a posting by TFeredo (ElJefe in other forum http://pinoyhistory.proboards.com/thread/840/philippine-army-corps-pics-1939?page=2 )

who is consider one of  the most knowledgeable and an authority on Pre-War Philippine military aircraft, particularly the Peashooters... I recommend taking notice of his treatises (thereat) for some accurate rendering of the Peashooter in Philippine Army Air Corps (PAAC)...

Farouk, many thanks for your comment. I have to study this a bit...

8 hours ago, Learstang said:

how does it build?

Jason, this is a short run technology model with resin engine, some PE etc. I noticed, that tailing edge of wings and fin is a bit too thick, so I sanded it but afterward I noticed, that one wing is a bit  tinner then another, so I have to add some spacer in leading edge.... Frankly speaking I do not know if it was result of my sanding efforts or mistake of kit, likely the first one. Second problem was with a kind of additional exhaust collector which is provided as a ring to glued in front of engine but no photo at least of Chineese machines show something like that (the collector is in Towdend ring!) - so I just did not put it in. I made some efforts to do prop rotable, as always in my models. And as I mentioned in first post I replaced some flat PE bars in riging by scratch one. Riging by EZ. BTW - I am approaching to finish of my first EZ roll (30 m) - I've just bought next one!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

It sounds like a typical short-run kit, so nothing I couldn't handle having made many, many before. Thank you for the information, J-W! It looks like this one will stay on my list of kits to buy.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Learstang said:

It sounds like a typical short-run kit, so nothing I couldn't handle having made many, many before. Thank you for the information, J-W! It looks like this one will stay on my list of kits to buy.

For sure! 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice effort and a great little collection there!

Martin, thank you. I am close to finish Curtiss Hawk II, so I think that the most wanted then will be Curtiss A12 Shrike:

10_5_b2.jpg

Please dear Czech manufactures - make thi kit!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Another stunning little model of a rarely seen aircraft......and another beautiful addition to your collection Jerzy. Very nicely done!

Ian

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

@JWM love this model. I am just starting a resin 1/72 kit of the little Breda and I was just wondering what colour you painted the cockpit. I have scanned Google images but can't find any cockpit colour scheme.

I am a bit worried about the rigging I have always left the rigging out on models but I am determined to have a go this time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

@JWM love this model. I am just starting a resin 1/72 kit of the little Breda and I was just wondering what colour you painted the cockpit. I have scanned Google images but can't find any cockpit colour scheme.

I am a bit worried about the rigging I have always left the rigging out on models but I am determined to have a go this time.

Thank you. I think I did light gray or aluminium. From similar time CR-32 has this kind of interior - with creamy linen and alu construction elements.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwSzEiliC3oVeQMlg-YtBkmfao16diKrmkVP0_E7J0pL49Y--b0aZWr1aj_fX

Cr-42 (Swedish museum one) is lt. grey

cr424.jpg

The rigging is an important part of Breda construction, without it she will get a look of more modern machine, almost like MC 200. I have used EZ cable.  You have to drill openings and think twice how to assure tension of cables.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1