Magnifying visors - Opinions??

Mikehool

I am toying with the idea of purchasing one of those magnifying headsets to aid in my fine detail paintwork.  I can't seem to get on with the lens in my workspace lamp due to how I have to set it up with the workspace I have.  It gives me enough light but I find I have to keep everything too close to the lense to see properly. I know it's not my eyesight, anyway!!!

What are people's thoughts on the headsets and which ones would you recommend? 

• 4 months later...

What magnification was the lens you have at the moment? I am just moving from the Mk.1 eyeball to a x2 magnfier on a stand so I seem to be one behind you. I didn't fancy getting one that hangs around my neck as I thought I would have to hold the work close to my chest and end up squinting out the bottom of my eyes. A 'visor' type may be another option but why then not glasses?

I think it is a lack of light which means I can't focus on the small detailed work and actually working beside a window in daylight helps a lot.

I'll be interested to see what other views (pardon the pun!) come in and what you end up using.

Regards,

Mike

My modelling desk faces the window but I still suffer with the lack of good light at this time of year.  To help overcome this,  I use an Optivisor for any detail work and it has the option for a light attachment fitting; as seen in the image below.  I find this very useful, not just for lighting the subject but also for the excellent magnification.  It also means that I don't clutter my work area with lamp or magnifier stands.

Mike

Optivisor.jpg

• Like 1

I use one of these http://www.rolsontools.com/2-led-magnifying-visor.html

By now, I need it for any modelling other than large area spraying.  I've tried several, but like the light weight of this one.  I use the 2.5 magnification almost all the time  but go up to 3.5 for soldering.  The light is pretty poor but I use cheap ikea spots on stalks to move the light to where I need it.

Regards

Tim

I find my magnifying headset heavy and uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. If you are a spectacle wearer anyway I have just got a new pair of specs with "occupational lenses" sometimes called "enhanced readers" what a difference they make from reading to computer screen distance.

Edited by omega333

I asked my optician to make up a pair of specs which have stronger lense than the readers. Readers are about 300 at optimum focus.

The model making pair are 200mm. I wear these almost all the time. They have made a fantastic difference. Without them I would

have had to give up. Interesting is that I model with these specs and you see every detail and it makes me more precise.

If you want a pair of loupes have a look at these. They are pro. magnifiers. Light as a feather and very comfortable. I have tried a

couple of pairs of model amking magnifiers and tossed them in the bin. They have plastic lens and those with lights are heavy

(battery) and cumbersome.

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/High-Grade-Headband-Magnifier-non-flipup.html

The loupes above have an adjustable metal band. I have worn them for long periods and find they are so comfortable I forget I am

wearing them. The lens are made of optical glass and will not scratch and give very accurate viewing. For model work a 1.8 or as

mine a 2.0 lens is the best. Not forgetting that the larger the lens number .ie .35 the closer you have to be to your work. Those

I have mentioned are the best.

Finally these will fit over your ordinary specs. The great advantage loupes have over magnifier lamps is that they are in focus all

the time. You move your head not the model piece you are working on. Bit more expensive than the model makers but you will

never break or scratch the lens.

Laurie

I use one like this with 3 lenses, although I use 2.5x almost exclusively. I’d be lost without it and wear it most of the time during a modelling session. You can also peek below the magnifier without needing to lift it up. Before I got it I needed to take off my glasses and squint right in close. It’s lightweight and unobtrusive. You need to get fairly close (30cm or so) to be in the focus range but that would be the case for all similar units. An alternative that I’d like to explore some time is one that dentists and doctors clip on for surgery. They have a longer working distance but would be mighty expensive. I’ve never used an attached light but as I work with good close lighting I don’t see the need. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPGbJLmcHW_9XocWbZl2w

I've been looking at  various magnifiers over the last few months, we've been selling a set that you ware like glasses as an entry level one for some time and it's very popular at £13.

For the money it's a great set for the occasional user: 

Lightcraft 4 lens magnifier 

But have been looking at the top of the market. The Optivisor is the name people know, but they are expensive, with one set of lenses they are £60. Extra lenses are available for £35 each, which can more than double the cost if you need three different magnifications.

So we've been looking to see if there is a slightly cheaper option and bought in one of lightcrafts Deluxe headband Magnifiers to test and it really is a well thought through tool.  It has a headband that is quick and simple to adjust. A flip up visor like the optivisor so you can get on with other work.  It has a three led lamp on the top to illuminate your work and four precision ground overly large clip in lenses. 

Magnification 1.2x working distance 500 - 600mm (20 - 24'')
Magnification 1.8x working distance 225 - 300mm (9 - 12'')
Magnification 2.5x working distance 125 - 250mm (5 - 10'')
Magnification 3.5x working distance 75 - 125mm (3 - 5'')

These securely clip in and out of the visor and can be folded up out of the way if need.

The result is a secure but light headband, some really good lenses that give you a great view of your subject.

The only stumbling block has been the price the list price is about £49.

So we have done a deal with the manufacturers and have managed to bulk buy batch that we are on special offer in October at £35.

lightcraft-deluxe-led-headband-magnifier

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by little-cars

I use the ones that are like spectacles and you change the lenses. I wear specs anyway and find these comfortable and weightless. I used to use the magnifying glass with white led illumination but I just didn't get on with it so now I have secured the arm and use it as a bright light over my bench.

• 4 years later...
On 10/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, Big Person said:

I bought one of these from Ebay, can't recommend it highly enough. Absolutely brilliant and comfortable to wear too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Hands-Free-Head-Magnifier-Magnifying-2-LED-Glass-With-5-Lens-Loupe-/382177298887?epid=653066357&hash=item58fb8ac9c7:g:kBMAAOSwzN9ZeLw6

BigPerson, thanks for your recommendation. I am looking to buy them. Do they seem solid? at first glance they seem a bit fragile. Do you still have them?

50 minutes ago, Xantippos said:

BigPerson, thanks for your recommendation. I am looking to buy them. Do they seem solid? at first glance they seem a bit fragile. Do you still have them?

There is a better alternative.

I asked my optician to provide very close up lens in a pair of specs.

Much better as each eye is perfect vision. The specs are lighter.

Do not get perspiration forming. Easier to put on & take off.

Much more comfortable.

Laurie

• Like 1

The original and best is still the brand-name Optivisor, although there are some clones available now. I’ve tried a clone and they’re not as good as the Donegan product :nerdy:

Before latching on to magnifier optician prescribed stuff I used a pair of these magnifiers.

Made by Le Loupe who provide dentist surgeons etc.

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/High-Grade-Headband-Magnifier-non-flipup.html

They are as light as a feather. They only touch a small amount of skin on the forehead & being metal not foam

they are not prone to perspiration. They are also a light as a feather

Easily adjustable with a slide no knobs. They fit over specs. I use them over the prescription magnifiers for really

positive detailed work.

The most advantageous asset. 6 interchangeable lens . Just a twist of a spring & they are interchanged.

The top asset each of the lens. They are made of top quality optical glass polished to a top finish. Being removable they

are easy to wash or as I do wash in a sound agitator washer.

Laurie

I use this. It fits over my reading glasses. When using that and the magnifier lens on my light, I can almost see the hairs on a mosquito's man-parts!

49110879693_2c7e669638_b.jpg

49110867913_0e5ffe059b_b.jpg

Chris

43 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I use this. It fits over my reading glasses. When using that and the magnifier lens on my light, I can almost see the hairs on a mosquito's man-parts!

Chris

Obvious that some have a secondary reason for buying a magnifier.

Me just for PE & plastic.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Xantippos said:

Yes I still have them and use them regularly. I’ve never had a problem with them.

Many thanks for the replies ;) . Indeed, if it is good optical glass sounds much better than others that state are acrylic resin.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:18 PM, dogsbody said:

Chris

Dogsbody, do you find that fixed magnifying lens better than the optivisor, or just as a useful add on? is it very big?

4 hours ago, Xantippos said:

Many thanks for the replies ;) . Indeed, if it is good optical glass sounds much better than others that state are acrylic resin.

Dogsbody, do you find that fixed magnifying lens better than the optivisor, or just as a useful add on? is it very big?

I've never used anything else. I got the visor before I needed reading glasses. I've also had the magnifier lamp for a few decades.

Chris

I’ve been using an original Optivisor (that I fished out of a skip and repaired) for ages, but recently bought a clone so that I had a set for the house and one for the workshop. The clone was quite cheap, at £15 posted. It’s very light and possibly a bit flimsy, but it has three sets of lenses and it’s adjustable enough to fit my big, ol’ noggin. Time will tell whether it is durable, but to be fair, the original ones ended up in the skip because someone managed to break them!

Bought a magnifier lens for silly money and have barely ever used it, except as a table lamp.  I just couldn't abide having something getting in the way between me and the model.

On advice from members of this forum I bought an Optivisor.  There are similar cheaper devices available but I was told that the lens quality is what counts and where Optivisor excel.  When I got my Optivisor I found the frame cheap and nasty plastic so goodness knows what the knock-offs are like.  Anyway, I have never for a moment regretted buying the Optivisor (unlike the magnifer lens.  Grrr.)  I did regret spending the extra £10 or so for the additional loupe for the Optivisor: never been able to see though it and find it just gets in the way.

Nowadays I use my prescription +2.0 lenses for some work with a +2.5 Optivisor for detail work.  I have not seen so well for ages.

But consider the possibility that it may be less your eyes' ability to focus than the amount of light reaching the retinas that is the problem.  I recently moved from using said magnifier lamp as my desk illumination to one of these:

https://www.heamar.co.uk/daylight-task-lamps/65603-daylight-lumi-task-lamp-5022737355005.html

based on the discussion in this thread:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235098480-modelling-light-looking-for-recommendations/

I've found it quite transformational.  It simply floods the desk with light.  Heamar were the cheapest source I found on the internet and were very quick and efficient.  I've only the one though I see some people have two: don't see a need for a second yet but that time may come.

Best of luck in your investigations!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not wishing to risk significant money on an Optivisor in case I didn't get along with it, I thought I'd dip my toe in the water with a cheaper alternative just to see how I got on with a headband magnifier.  Bear in mind that I'm a 70-year old male who wears varifocals all the time.  After reading a posting on this forum, this is what I went for...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09KG9W36K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  ...and I have to confess I find it excellent.  It's well made, I really appreciate the combinations available with the five-lens set and am impressed by the quality of the lenses - clear, distortion-free and easy to swap in and out, either singly or in pairs.  It's an extremely versatile piece of kit and although you know you're wearing it the headband is very easy to adjust and not too uncomfortable.  I've fitted the light with rechargeable batteries and find it gives a useful light in the right place.

If anyone is looking for a starter unit like me you could do a lot worse than this and the price is low enough to make giving it a punt a reasonably inexpensive exercise.

Edited by Neddy
Spilling errer.
  • Like 2

I doubt you will not get on with it; I didnt get along with the cheaper versions online and in the end I went for it! Just make sure what focal length you want to work at, many who have the Opti-visor have the DA 5 lens giving 2.5X magnification unto about 8" away; I ordered the set with the DA 4 giving me unto about 10" and 2x magnification. I'm very happy with it, simply, its the best yet and my hunt is now over! I can order other lenses for it should I need and all I have to do is make sure they are FOR the Opti-visor, this will be alot easier than for a set bought on Scamazon.

Dont pay any more than about £65 absolute tops (unless you need a particular lens for it that might be a slightly higher price). I bought mine from a company called P.E.L. (see link below) based in Norfolk and I was well within £65 for them including postage and Vat. Mine arrived this morning and I'm very happy with them!

While much of it is plastic, what you are paying for is the quality of GLASS lenses, not plastic, they are set into a plastic surround but the lenses are glass. PEL have a royal crest and do much more than Opti-visors, I see they do loads of things.

They are worth the extra. I doubted it myself but having tried the cheaper version which was complete rubbish, I decided to pay the extra.

https://www.preservationequipment.com

I found the Optivisor uncomfortable to wear and a few pairs of cheap spectacles from Boots a better bet.  Obviously not so if you wear glasses already.  That plus stronger lighting for the workbench.  I have since found a cheap spectacle frame with clip-on lenses that is better still and will fit over any spectacles already being worn. Probably on Amazon but since the latest model room reorganisation I've been unable to find them to confirm details.

PS  I used to have a magnifying lamp - still do but it has been retired from use as it is heavy, clumsy,  and gets in the way.  Plus, at the moment, the base is acting as a counterbalance to a shelf that is otherwise too long to fit above the modelling table.

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I used to have a magnifying lamp - still do but it has been retired from use as it is heavy, clumsy,  and gets in the way.  Plus, at the moment, the base is acting as a counterbalance to a shelf that is otherwise too long to fit above the modelling table.

Me too and I found the same problem as others, the damn' thing gets in the way, especially when painting tricky detail - the end of the brush catches the lens and it doesn't end well!  it is now relegated to its secondary purpose, that of a daylight lamp which when used in conjunction with the primary lamp provides plentiful almost shadowless illumination of the working area.

Now I've had the headband magnifier for a couple of weeks I shan't be bothering with any other more expensive brand.  The flexibility of the five swap-out lenses giving a huge array of magnification and focal length options, plus the quality of the lenses themselves, gives me everything I need and then some.