Old Airfix RCAF Dakota

Not the recent issue but the old ESCI/Italeri repot from the early 2000s. I'm sure this kit needs little introduction as it's been around since the late 1970s, not without its flaws but pretty decent for its age. I managed to break the windscreen so had to replace it with some jewel case. Seen in company with my Canadian Lanc and the recent Shackleton. Sorry the photos aren't great, iPad special I'm afraid.4b1056dc-51e0-43fe-847e-47bc79dad863_zps83116a6a-44a7-491a-b92c-14859684a226_zpsea6a9553-0522-4bdf-b7e4-4e8100387e17_zps9fa5bddd-ae4e-4501-973a-7a97368014b0_zpsc0572746-0da8-4cfa-bb0a-e5fb4a6d7939_zps

e0744e80-90e3-47ac-b260-3de9e0d402e5_zps

• Like 41

That's the only scheme which belongs on a Dak in my humble opinion, but that may be a case of bias because my Dad was aircrew on them in the late '60s. RCAF rescue Daks usually had a nice big teardrop bubble window on the last window on each side for the spotters to lean out of and look straight down. There's one visible in this picture:

DC-3_Dakota_1.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jessica said:

That's the only scheme which belongs on a Dak in my humble opinion, but that may be a case of bias because my Dad was aircrew on them in the late '60s. RCAF rescue Daks usually had a nice big teardrop bubble window on the last window on each side for the spotters to lean out of and look straight down. There's one visible in this picture:

DC-3_Dakota_1.JPG

Fantastic Dak you've completed and the others in the background too, quite the collection.

Jessica, I was in Winnipeg when the last of the CAF Dakotas were retired. They were kept in pristine condition right up to the end. 12950 has the ICP Instrument Check Pilot badge on the tail.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baldwin8 said:

Jessica, I was in Winnipeg when the last of the CAF Dakotas were retired. They were kept in pristine condition right up to the end. 12950 has the ICP Instrument Check Pilot badge on the tail.

By coincidence I was taking some of my cadets on a tour through Comox when one of the retiring Daks came by (It now lives in Trenton). I wrangled a tour through it for the cadets :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback everyone, couple more shots taken in better light. Please ignore the out of scale dog hair on the wing on  the first photo.

IMG_0126_zpsemta69xn.jpgIMG_0127_zps23gslzym.jpgIMG_0132_zpssytit5bd.jpg

• Like 2

Great job on an old kit the Dak always looked good in the Canadian markings along with the C-130.

Guy

• Like 1