Light Ship South Goodwin

You are probably right not to bother with a working light, you are going to be busy making the ship crew's rowing boat and 11 canoes for the Scouts. They were as far as I can remember all yellow. The Venture Scouts used to make the canoes and sell them to raise funds for the troop, as well as the quarterly Jumble sale, when we had to spend a Friday evening going round collecting Jumble, or more accurately other people's unwanted junk,

Andy

• Like 1

Andy what type of Canoes did you use do you have any photos  :book:

More PE added this time the rails around the bridge and Cabin areas

IMG_3714.jpg

Prime it up again and a coat of white paint

beefy

• Like 10

The railings look really good, you are certainly getting the hang of P.E.

I don't have any photos of the canoes. If you Google 1970's single seat Kayaks you'll get the idea.

Andy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

The railings look really good, you are certainly getting the hang of P.E.

I don't have any photos of the canoes. If you Google 1970's single seat Kayaks you'll get the idea.

Andy

Don't you just love mission creep? :evil_laugh:

Martian

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Don't you just love mission creep? :evil_laugh:

Martian

I am trying to remember what type and colour badges the Venture Scouts wore on their uniforms. I know the colour of the Woggles we wore on our kneckerchiefs usually depended on which Six we were in when we were Cubs. I was in Yellow Six and had a yellow Woggle. Our Kneckerchiefs were one half purple, the half green. I have absolutely no idea what colour the crew from the lightship would have worn, maybe red with a big white hat to represent the light on their ship :thumbsup:

Andy

• Like 2

The woggles would have been a brown leather weave, mid brown trousers, mushroom coloured shirts alternatively the neckerchief and woggle could be replaced by a dark brown tie.

There you go Beefy another obstacle removed! :devil:

Martian 

• Like 1

Beefy, you will also have to make a scoreboard for the cricket match. It was probably propped up against the cabin area. Nothing too fancy like a test match scoreboard, but would have run total, number of wickets down and current batsmens scores. The Scorer would must likely have sat up on the balcony by the main light, would have got a good view of the game from there. You need to have a table by the boundary rope which would have the things for the Tea Interval, cucumber sandwiches cut into triangles with crusts removed, at least 2 different types of sponge cake, a Teapot large enough to float a battleship in, and at least 24 teacups. Nothing fancy probably Royal Doulton with hand painted periwinkles.

:jelly::milk::clap2:

Andy

• Like 4

Gent's thanks again for the encouragement and entertainment with this build  ;)

Not to sure about all this cricket stuff I was just going to be building the ship :whistle:

I have been very busy at work this week and the weekend what with the new model change over so not much time at the bench

I did manage to get some painting done on the sub assembly's and hope to get them fitted this week

IMG_3716.jpgIMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

• Like 12

It is indeed starting to look nice, so nice in fact that not to do the cricket diorama would just not be err, cricket. Especially as we have done most of the research.

Martian the Persuasive

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It is indeed starting to look nice, so nice in fact that not to do the cricket diorama would just not be err, cricket. Especially as we have done most of the research.

Martian the Persuasive

I can see that there is just NO way of getting out of this now will have to try and work out how big this diorama will end up being  ;)   :doh:

it is not the making of it it is the transporting when taking the things to shows I will have to start hiring a van   :hmmm:

Anyway more progress got some of the paint work tidied up and started to assemble the light tower and ladders on the cabin deck even got the bulb screwed in Fnar Fnar

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Beefy the tormented diorama builder

• Like 14

What a difference with a bit of colour on mate. She's really starting to look the part and the etch brings the kit on leaps & bounds :thumbsup:

Brian

• Like 1

Billy I have had these in a drawer now for a while but I think these are 0.28 they're in a starter pack I got them from Scoshia models I think at the Scot Nats a while ago 

HTH. Beefy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I can see that there is just NO way of getting out of this now will have to try and work out how big this diorama will end up being  ;)   :doh:

Beefy the tormented diorama builder

Is the right answer and don't forget that you will have all the usual suspects to cheer you on!

The build is coming along magnificently, the lantern house being particularly stunning. Time well spent on the transparency says I.

Martian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BeeKay said:

What a difference with a bit of colour on mate. She's really starting to look the part and the etch brings the kit on leaps & bounds :thumbsup:

Brian

Cheers mate but not really the colors I wanted in my house if you get my drift would have much rather it been Black & White  :footy:

But Glad I waited to get the etch as it does make a huge difference to the build

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The build is coming along magnificently, the lantern house being particularly stunning. Time well spent on the transparency says I.

The lantern came out a lot better than I thought thanks to yours and Darby's tip on cleaning it up and the PE frame for it just brings it out of the 70,s I think

Peter Hall has done a great job with this set I can recommend it hole heartedly to anyone thinking of building this kit

Been looking up some info on the tinternet about these ships and it gave me an idea  :book:

When the sand banks are visible the ship could be settled or sitting on the sand bank but not quite fully out of the water so I could show the ship close to the sandbank and cricket match :idea:

beefy

• Like 1

This is looking really good Beefy. Peter Hall's etch is really good to work with and well detailed.

I have been looking at pictures of the Goodwin Sands but I can't find any showing the lightship in relation to the sands. There is a good picture of a SRN4 hovercraft crossing the sands at low tide. I'm not sure if they are the same scale but if you got an Airfix SRN4 hovercraft it would look good passing by over the sand. It would need to be the Ramsgate (Pegwell Bay) to Calais service, the Dover to Calais service would not have gone passed the sands. Just a thought.

Andy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aginvicta said:

This is looking really good Beefy. Peter Hall's etch is really good to work with and well detailed.

I have been looking at pictures of the Goodwin Sands but I can't find any showing the lightship in relation to the sands. There is a good picture of a SRN4 hovercraft crossing the sands at low tide. I'm not sure if they are the same scale but if you got an Airfix SRN4 hovercraft it would look good passing by over the sand. It would need to be the Ramsgate (Pegwell Bay) to Calais service, the Dover to Calais service would not have gone passed the sands. Just a thought.

Andy

A Hovercraft you say now if this Diorama gets any bigger then I will not get it out of the garage  :phew:

beefy

sleepless diorama builder  :rage:

• Like 3

Coming along nicely Keith... very crisp building/painting

Cracking job on the 'Glasshouse', what a transformation.

Suggestion for the match            'Teas Up'

Sticks left in the sands and footprints back to the lightship

Kev

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

Andy

I found some pictures of the hovercraft delivering people to the Goodwin Sands. Ferrying spectators to the match? I think we do need to have the match in play just that everyone gets what the diorama is about. I will even buy you the figures if necessary.

Martian the evil little £%*%

• Like 1

20 hours ago, beefy66 said:

A Hovercraft you say now if this Diorama gets any bigger then I will not get it out of the garage  :phew:

If you intend leaving it in your garage you might as well go the whole hog and model the whole of that part of the Channel. Airfix used to do a Cross Channel ferry model, a couple of those steaming past, a couple of Oil Tankers and Freighters and the Jet Foil that ran between Dover and Ostend. Oh and don't forget the White Cliffs of Dover as well. I have a few photos I took last time I was up on the White Cliffs a couple of years ago if you need any help.

Don't you just love these quick weekend builds. :thumbsup:

Andy