Mitsubishi Zero Airfix 1\72

My first completion in months! Had a real dry spell for a while there, but I saw the wonderful movie The Wind Rises around the new year and decided a while later to dig the Zero out the stash for a bit of a tribute build. If you've not seen it, the film covers the life of Jiro Hirokoshi, the lead designer on the Zero and is an animation from the great Hayao Miyazaki.

Just a quick out the box build to get the juices going again from the dogfight double pearl harbour kit. I say quick but it was over a month real time, I guess I just need to accept I'm never going to be a high output guy. I wasn't going to do a wash but it looked too plain without it and then it went a bit wrong and had to be partially repeated which has resulted in it being a bit grubby. The masking work on the canopy could be neater as well. It's a great little kit, recently re-released and certainly did what I hoped in blowing away the cobwebs.

DSC_0699_zpsajgsoorf.jpg

DSC_0701_zpst0pr1vvf.jpg

DSC_0700_zpsdkfmme3p.jpg

DSC_0702_zpsrjwdwwsf.jpg

DSC_0704_zpsynkctmk3.jpg

DSC_0703_zpstiu9totx.jpg

DSC_0705_zpsblcnbmzk.jpg

It's good to be back. This is the first time I've posted pics using my tablet and the new forum software and it's proved much easier than the laptop so that's a result.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 21

Hi Stosh,

welcome back!

I have never heard of the movie you mention, but it is not surprising considering my neighborhood.

Lovely Zero, and these colorful light grey schemes are really photogenic!

Well done. What's next?

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stosh65 said:

I say quick but it was over a month real time, I guess I just need to accept I'm never going to be a high output guy.

Hello Stosh,

Nice Zero! Actually, I think one month IS fast, so good job. I want to pick up a new Airfix Zero – I've heard they go together smoothly (I have Tamiya and Hasegawa Zero kits to do, and it would interesting to compare).

I have heard of the movie and it is on the list to eventually watch. I believe Hirokoshi, who was also key in designing the Mitsubishi A5M "Claude", was surprised that the Claude didn't receive more praise than it did (but maybe when you designed the Zero you have high expectations).

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Nice job Stosh, I hope that has opened your creative floodgates :)

The A5M is documented in The Wind Rises, as is its failed predecessor the Mitsubishi 1MF10, it's a very good film, beautifully drawn and like most of the Studio Ghibli stuff rather refined and serious for what we might call a 'cartoon'.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jean said:

Well done. What's next?

JR

Thanks guys. Not sure what's next. Either the p40 that's the other half of this box or a spitfire double build. But at least I'm looking forward to it. 

Hi Stosh. Great to see you back with a new build! That looks great. I haven't built a Zero but seeing your build in that scheme has made me want to have a go at some point! :thumbsup: I will look out for your next project.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Very nice.

I rather like that scheme (compared to the IJN green schemes) and you've done a great job.

"The Wind Rises" is a very good film and comes recommended to all who enjoy aviation and animation combined in a movie.

:goodjob:

• Like 1