Airfix Bf109E-7 First 1:48 Build

So having been talked into buying the Bf109E kit on the Christmas deals by Simon T, I now find myself faced with the prospect of having to build my first 1:48 scale...

Me109 buildMe109 build

...I've decided to go for the 7 for no other reason than I think I can pull off the paint job better. :)

Me109 build

Will get a WIP topic up and link in later...wish me luck!

• Like 6

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I went to the Battle of Britain musuem today to look at their me109's... unfortunately not pictures as cameras are currently banned at the site due to several thefts :(

Still a lot of inspiration, and I'm off to RAF Duxford tomorrow to take a look at an actual Me109e-7. 

Anyway the build is not at the phase where I'm going to undercoat it and work on the cockpit detailing before assembly.

20170512_180439

• Like 2

Great start, interesting that you sub assemblies are quite complete before they get mated and painted.

Good luck with the camo scheme.

I'm afraid it's glued...may have been a bit over confident in my brushwork as the cockpit is now proving a tad tricky to paint...still things I will not do next time. I've got the 1:48 hurricane and a 1:48 Harrier still in box so I'll know for next time :)

Your sub-assemblies look cleanly built and very nice. There are those on this site who can build a cockpit and engine and then paint it up beautifully. I'm not one of them. For cockpits and engines, I paint in stages and as I go.  If you are just starting out, I would suggest the same, unless you are one of those rare individuals that can use a paint brush with lazer like precision. Will be keeping up with this build to see your progress. 

• Like 1

Hi!  Looking good so far, however, you may find it helpful to carry the RLM 65 blue much further up the fuselage sides, as the RLM 74/75 camouflage extends down over the RLM 65 blue, leaving the blue 'veins' showing below....   I always find that it helps with masking a lower demarcation line for where the darker camo colours stop too, if the blue goes well above where the masking tape will run ;)  I also believe that at least the side walls of the wheel wells should be in RLM 02... :)
Good looking scheme though, and looking forward to seeing how this one comes out :)
This is a great kit from Airfix, and I can see a few more in my not-to-distant, too..... carry on with the great work sir... :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips...will definitely extend the blue up as per your suggestion...will redo the in wheel housing in rlm 02 as well. I'm loving working in this scale. I have the hurricane to do as well when I'm done with this 

• Like 1

Progress update. I have assembled the various parts and have added the final remaining pieces prior to making of the top of the fuselage as per Yarvelling's suggestion

20170523_190947

20170523_191027

...time to extend the blue up and begin the camo scheme 

• Like 3