New Revell reboxing of the F-102

Julien

If you are thinking of getting the new release of the Revell F-102 with decals by Detail & Scale it appears the company Revell contracted to press the plastic made the kit with the Case XX wing not the case X wing :doh:

Bert Kinzey posts! F-102 MODELERS PLEASE NOTE

The newest release of the former Monogram F-102A in 1/48th scale, now under the Revell label, has an issue. Detail & Scale just learned of this yesterday. A photo of the box art for the release is attached with this post.

This latest issue of the model was supposed to have the Case X wing. A former release of the kit was provided to the Polish company with which Revell contracted to have the new release molded, and the correct Case X wing was provided so they could confirm they were using the molds for the correct wing design. In spite of these steps by Revell, the company doing the molds molded the Case XX wing instead.

The people at Revell are very upset, as you might expect. The decal sheet, was developed with the our help at Detail & Scale, and it was for Case X aircraft. So naturally, the molding done in Poland should have also been for a Case X wing. As stated above, Revell was very specific in ordering the Case X molds.

If you are buying this kit, you need to know what has happened. The decal sheet is a good one, the best ever provided in one of these F-102 release, but you'll need and earlier release of the kit with the correct Case X wing to use it. The plastic is fine for the Case XX wing, but you will need after-market decals for a Case XX aircraft to go on it.

Detail & Scale and Furball Aero Design are planning a sheet with markings for both Case X and Case XX aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13 May 2017 at 9:22 AM, modelling minion said:

I would like to know where to get one from as there don't seem to be any for sale in the UK and I want a case XX wing aircraft (for which I already have some decals) and could use the decals on a case X kit I have.

You have more than enough models already

• 2 weeks later...

If it matters Revell did reject them once. They were due to be released in December here in the states. And were pushed back until April. A lot of AM Companies dropped a bunch of cockpits, burner cans, and ejection-seats in 1/48 scale. That was right around Christmas because they were anticipating the release by Revells own info. I grabbed one as soon as they hit. Ive been wanting a Deuce for 3 years actually bought decals 15 months ago just hoping someday. I followed all the modelmakers own on line catalogs and release info. That being said Revell may be getting ready to Drop a B-58 hustler soon as i've been seeing a large number of aftermarket items in 1/48. 

• Like 1