Airfix 1/72 Bf.109E4/7, JG.27

46 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Neat and clean, love the stripes.

Agreed! :clap: Looking great with decals on, coming to life so to say :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks guys, glad you like it !

I managed to do some more on this model so I thought it may be worth showing something now, even if it means pictures taken in artificial light.

As said above, I noticed how the 8 in the Airfix sheet could be modified to a 3. To make to do this right, I imported the relevant part of the Eduard instructions (downloaded from their website) into an image processing software, cut the 3 from the main image and imported this into Corel Draw. This way I could reduce the image to the same size of the Airfix decal. Printed a few numbers, then took one and cut it very carefully. Moving on the decal sheet, I located the cut number onto the sheet and used it as a guide to chop the Airfix 8 where needed. The result was pretty good, although of course the number now lacks the red border along the cuts.. This will be added later, either with a small paintbrush or more likely cutting strips of decal paint. I could actually cut bits from the remaining parts of the original number.

With the numbers in place I checked the picture of the real aircraft and noticed that there wasn't enough dark green overspray under the numbers. This was expected so I was kind of ready for this. Best option was a mix of drybrush and very thinner paint. I'm not sure that the finish really looks good when seen from very close but from normal viewing distance it's not too bad:

3ebc7da8-44cb-4712-a06b-90e60458a5e7.JPG

724de240-c614-40d7-98ce-2a6c8fcda09c.JPG

As you can see, I've also added the JG.27 badge on the right side. And you may also notice that I've yet to glue the rudder in place ! Really, I've yet to paint it...

Next step will be trying to find a couple of correctly sized swastikas. This kit, as many others, come with no swastika. I thought there was a pair included in the Hobbyboss 109G-6, of which I built a couple in foreign markings, however there's none. Strange, very strange as other Hobbyboss 1/72 109Gs have the swastika.. and these all share the very same plastic ! Now I have a few of these and I may take the swastikas from there, as long as I find some other foreign markings to use on these (or subjects with black swastikas only, these I can print on my laser). Thinking about it, I have a decal sheet with a few Regia Aeronautica Gs...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 5

Excellent work Giorgio :thumbsup: ,

I liked your description of using the glaze medium, thanks for sharing this method. Even on a tiny iPhone screen I can see the subtle differences in shade.

This is a tricky paint scheme, especially in 1/72. You're doing a great job :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, glad you like it!

The glaze method is one that works well for me and I'm happy to share techniques that may help other modellers too.

Quick update: finally painted the rudder in yellow, only need a few more stencils and the swastikas. Oh, and the tailplanes struts...

A really striking finish. The contrast in colors makes this type of camo scheme so attractive. And, having done tiger stripes for another model, I know how hard it is to make them look stripy enough and not just some squiggly misplaced lines. Great work!

• Like 1

On 17/6/2017 at 2:03 PM, georgeusa said:

A really striking finish. The contrast in colors makes this type of camo scheme so attractive. And, having done tiger stripes for another model, I know how hard it is to make them look stripy enough and not just some squiggly misplaced lines. Great work!

Thanks George, glad you like it ! It took some time to get the stripes right and several light passes. One of the reasons I like acrylics is that drying fast they allow me to apply several passes in a single afternoon.. :D

I think I'm pretty happy now with the stencils, I only applied those that would have not been hidden under the various field repaints, something that the picture of the real aircraft shows to be the case.

I've hit a problem though: the kit as said includes no swastika so I had to go through the stast and the spare decals box to look for a replacement. And I found several, however I realised when looking at the picture that my aircraft seems to have a black/white/black edged swastika, not the black with white edges that became more common later. Of course all the ones I found are of the later type, with the exception of some that are even later (white edges only, black only, black edges only)

Guess my only option is to put the build on hold until I find and buy a suitable decal sheet, Fantasy Printshop seems to have the kind of swastikas I'm looking for on one of their sheets

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1