Douglas DC 3 / C47 Skytrain GB Chat

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Patrice  

Looking forward to Feb Candidates so far are East-West Airlines VH-AGU ,TAA-Sunbird or Malayan Airways all in 1/72 No decision yet as to which one 

Happy New Year 

Martin H

On 30/12/2018 at 11:37, Grandboof said:

Hello Patrice  

Looking forward to Feb Candidates so far are East-West Airlines VH-AGU ,TAA-Sunbird or Malayan Airways all in 1/72 No decision yet as to which one 

Happy New Year 

Martin H

Good afternoon Martin

You know what Enzo use to say in that case 'Build them all'' ..

Happy New Year to you and your familly

Cheers

Patrice

• 2 weeks later...

Please count me in too! This will be my first group build and I'm really looking forward to taking part.  I'm thinking David Lord VC's Dakota III from Operation Market Garden, which has been on my rapidly growing wish list for a while.

• Like 2

On 14/01/2019 at 00:40, GliderGuider said:

Please count me in too! This will be my first group build and I'm really looking forward to taking part.  I'm thinking David Lord VC's Dakota III from Operation Market Garden, which has been on my rapidly growing wish list for a while.

Good morning GliderGuider

Welcome aboard I am looking forward to follow your build

Cheers

Patrice

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, Paul821 said:

Having just got the GB bug, though the Airfix Golden Years, this one allows me to put off building my Italeri and Airfix (recent build) DC3's. One will be a WW2 example and the other either Air Anglia or Air Alantique.

Definitely on-board for the GB like @Spad I am going for Air Anglia because it reminds me of the days I worked in Harlow and our office was regularly overflown by a DC-3 and Bristol Freighter from Stansted.

The only thing that might change my mind is that in the 1980's (could be 90's) I flew in a DC-3 from Duxford. I have no record of the livery or reg' but if that comes to light I may change my mind. To date Google has not produced any answers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Definitely on-board for the GB like @Spad I am going for Air Anglia because it reminds me of the days I worked in Harlow and our office was regularly overflown by a DC-3 and Bristol Freighter from Stansted.

The only thing that might change my mind is that in the 1980's (could be 90's) I flew in a DC-3 from Duxford. I have no record of the livery or reg' but if that comes to light I may change my mind. To date Google has not produced any answers.

Good morning Paul821

Welcome aboard I am looking forward to follow your build

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

@GliderGuiderNice one! I learnt to fly radio control models from the end of the main runway at Down Ampney where Lord flew from on that fateful sortie. We used to have to avoid the memorial which was erected on the very end of the runway - slap bang in the middle! Happy to report that nobody (that  I am aware of) clobbered the memorial on landing!

Be good to see yours coming along!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Patrice,

I may not have been around much for a couple of years, but I hadn’t forgotten.

I will be giving it a go. From my bed, at least at the start 🛌 😂.

FF1-C9-DE2-AA3-B-45-C9-8-D82-19-EEF41-E9

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 5

15 hours ago, swat11 said:

Can I still participate in this nice GB? I’ve a 1/48 C47 in my stash and is ready to build.

Good morning swat11

Of course you can build your kit as soon as the Gb begins on February 9th ..

Cheers

Patrice

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Patrice,

I will be giving it a go. From my bed, at least at the start 🛌😂.

Best regards 

TonyT

Good morning Tony

I hope you will feel better very soon , I will follow your build ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Patrice,

I will be giving it a go. From my bed, at least at the start 🛌😂.

Best regards 

TonyT

Fantastic choice! I built one of these many moons ago , back when it was a new kit (sometime in the '80s?). One or two inaccuracies in the kit but builds into a lovely looker!

By way of motivation for you, this was my effort which I have still have and am very fond of.

46887504452_1a2ed92303_h.jpg

Since then when this was taken I have added the long wire aerials and the skis.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop. I loved building it - have fun fella!

ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Patrice,

Would this be eligible ?

AC-47 originally started for a Viet Nam Conflict GB on BM

a few years ago - not much done on it though (internal bulkhead/ ribbing and cargo door).

71c28079-ce15-4d2c-93c9-01e8f1b7214f.jpg

Thanks

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Another Monogram box-scale classic from 1955 (I'm currently building their Catalina).  I can't wait to hear its terrible moan and to see it spewing fire!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Patrice,

Would this be eligible ?

AC-47 originally started for a Viet Nam Conflict GB on BM

a few years ago - not much done on it though (internal bulkhead/ ribbing and cargo door).

Thanks

Alan

Good afternoon Alan

As far as I can see your AC47 kit is less then 25 %  started so you can join the GB ...

Happy modelling

Cheers

Patrice

On 2/1/2019 at 3:38 AM, Spad said:

Fantastic choice! I built one of these many moons ago , back when it was a new kit (sometime in the '80s?). One or two inaccuracies in the kit but builds into a lovely looker!

By way of motivation for you, this was my effort which I have still have and am very fond of.

46887504452_1a2ed92303_h.jpg

Since then when this was taken I have added the long wire aerials and the skis.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop. I loved building it - have fun fella!

ATB
Rick

This looks great Rick 😍!

Many thanks.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to make one as nice as that, but I’ll do my best on the kit.

I love Polar subjects.

Thanks for boosting my Mojo. I’m looking forward to this. It’s on a shelf to my left as I type this.

If you have any tips please share as I fumble along with it! 😁

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

Just posted this news in the correct thread

At the moment it looks like there will be about twice the number of 1:1 scale Dak's  at the event than we currently have in this GB

Hello.

is it too late to join in? 

I've been reading these forums for about a year now but never posted anything. But since the C47 is one of my favorite aircraft and I just happen to have an unstarted ESCI kit in my stash, this looked like the perfect opportunity for a first post.

ipwSc1f.jpg

I haven't quite made up my mind about paint yet. It's gonna be either an early 60s USN R4D or a 50s Luftwaffe bird, because I really like day-glo aircraft.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A quick question please.  What colour was the underside of a US D-Day C-47?

I've just painted mine with Tamiya Neutral Grey, which looks like a slightly lightened grey primer.

Elsewhere though, I'm seeing a creamy colour being used - much like the box art on the latest Airfix kit.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Cliff

Looking at my notes, I did my D-Day C-47 underside in Tamiya XF-25 Light Sea Grey mixed 2:1 with XF-2 Flat White, and I'm very pleased with it. It has a faint bluish tinge, I'm not a rivet counter and I think it's just right.

I'm not sure how I came to that decision though, but I would definitely have found that suggestion online.

8 hours ago, Chrissy_J said:

Looking at my notes, I did my D-Day C-47 underside in Tamiya XF-25 Light Sea Grey mixed 2:1 with XF-2 Flat White, and I'm very pleased with it. It has a faint bluish tinge, I'm not a rivet counter and I think it's just right.

I'm not sure how I came to that decision though, but I would definitely have found that suggestion online.

Thanks Chrissy.  I've got several Tamiya greys, but of course not that one!  However, it sounds as though the result may be paler than their neutral grey.  I'll have a look.

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks Chrissy.  I've got several Tamiya greys, but of course not that one!  However, it sounds as though the result may be paler than their neutral grey.  I'll have a look.

Having spent some frustrating hours looking for the reference that suggested Light Sea Grey I must concede to defeat. Every reference I find says Neutral Grey. I'd absolutely do a comparison test, painting each colour before committing myself.

• Thanks 1