1/72 Speduairfix Spitfire Mk 21 & Airfix Mk 22

My 1/72 double triple Spitfire build to begin 2017 is now complete, with the last two being an out of box Airfix Mk 22 and a Spitfire 21 made from the wings and nose from the Airfix 22 kit, fuselage from an Eduard Mk VIII overtree, vertical tail from the Special Hobby kit, and a prop from the Sword Mk XIV.

The Spitfire 21 on the left and 22 on the right.

Both were painted with Colourcoats enamels and the out-of-box 22 was left clean, while the Mk 21 was weathered to match a reference picture (see further below).

The Mk 22 represents a Spitfire from RAuxAF 613 Sqn using a sheet from Xtradecals.

The Mk 21 represents a 91 Sqn Spitfire that saw active service in the final month of the war based on this REFERENCE PICTURE. Even though it's only a month old, you can see how cross-Channel operations took a toll on aircraft.

Here's my attempt at recreating that pic.

Special Hobby vertical stabilizer grafted to the Eduard Mk VIII fuselage.

Then mated to the Airfix Mk 22 nose and wings.

Now is a good time to confess that this was my second attempt at a MK 21 kitbash. The first, involving a spare Sword Mk XIV fuselage, did not go so well, but live and learn!

• Like 55

Cookie I am full of admiration for - and deeply envious of - that 21. Really great job, and all the more impressive given the range of components and work that went into it. And the 22 complements it beautifully. 

Justin

• Like 1

Hi Cookie,

brilliant duo!

Makorokoto, as they say around here (loosely translated as "Congrats" or "not too shabby, chum!").

There are many lessons to be learned from this RFI and its WIP.

Superb!

JR

• Like 1

What can I add to what has already been said? :worthy:  Only that the B&W pic is very evocative and you nailed the worn out look of that Spitfire Mk21 (yeah, I know, I'm biased when it comes to well battered airframes, but can't help ... :whistle::) )

Ciao

• Like 1

A great end to a wonderful mega-build - fine work Cookie, you can be proud of all those for sure :) 

• Like 1

Very nice builds, the Spitfire 22 is one of my favourites and I fancy doing a 21, but might use an old Aeroteam/Eduard one I have sat in the stash, plus sone bits and pieces

• Like 1

Impressive models ,you are on a spitfire roll for sure :) 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...