1914 Ford Model T fire truck

Been a while since I posted a WIP but yet again it's an emergency vehicle, a 1914 Ford Model T Chemical Hose Truck to be exact.

I am building this for a friend of mine and it is the 1/20 scale Gabriel kit from 1978, a brand previously unknown to me but I'm kind of hoping someone else has built one of their kits?

The kit itself is a mixture of diecast metal and injection moulded styrene with white rubber tyres, some acetate clear parts and some string for the hose thrown in for good measure.

It also has a small self adhesive sheet of markings for a truck based with the Lancaster Fire Dept in Pennsylvania.

I have to admit, I have never tackled diecast before and I'm quite surprised by the huge amounts of flash on the metal parts. If anyone has any hints or tips on how to deal with parts like this it would be gratefully accepted!

Here are the obligatory box and contents pics.......

IMG_20170509_135806_zpsiaytw6iu.jpg

IMG_20170509_135818_zpshfsaho2u_edit_149

IMG_20170509_135831_zpstotfrdja_edit_149

IMG_20170509_140031_zps1edhs5w4.jpg

IMG_20170509_140053_zpssew9mehp.jpg

IMG_20170509_140658_zpsri47bsqa.jpg

IMG_20170509_140327_zpsakyu8h1y.jpg

IMG_20170509_140928_zpsazuuk2bb.jpg

I'm hoping to make a start cleaning up the metal parts tomorrow so wish me luck!

• Like 2

Good luck!

This one looks like a good challenge.

You might consider replacing the string

with some old style cotton covered wire.

The flash should cut off with a Stanley knife.

Degrease thoroughly before painting.

I've never heard of Gabriel either.

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good luck!

This one looks like a good challenge.

Thanks Pete!

I never considered just using a knife for the flash. I haven't experimented with it yet but I was assuming I'd have to raid the garage for my metal working tools!

Just a quick update. A good few evening's work has seen the metal parts cleaned up and ready for primer. The tip of using the stanley knife was good for the fine flash but for the heavier stuff like mould lines etc, I needed to use a combination of a second-cut file, needle files and sanding blocks. This stuff is hard!

IMG_20170513_152654_zpsjvtzl20s.jpg

IMG_20170513_152709_zps9isyzewf.jpg

I'm quite impressed by the detailing in the kit though, the engine is a little peach.

IMG_20170513_152930_zps2safz6il.jpg

IMG_20170513_152939_zpstidsrxyx.jpg

I have dry fitted the major body parts together along with the chemical tanks to see what it looks like. I think it's looking like a nice little model. Primer next!

IMG_20170513_153053_zpsjm2wuxrq.jpg

IMG_20170513_153129_zps6sc21ivm.jpg

IMG_20170513_153140_zpsyzyp5ks9.jpg

• Like 2

Well, that's the body and tanks all primered, along with the seat cushion and cab floor/pedal assembly painted black.

IMG_20170515_193438_zpseznd4sfr.jpg

The next job is to finish the engine and make a start on the suspension and running gear.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Nice looking kit....detail is very good for white metal....a nice change of pace.

Looking forward to next update :)

Ron

Thanks Ron.

I'm really enjoying it actually. Once all of the cleaning up is out of the way, it assembles lovely. All of the large parts are screwed together and the plastic parts are so tight, they could easily be assembled without glue.

I finished off the engine today, along with the 3-part metal and brass plated radiator and surround......

IMG_20170516_202918_zpsyhj5vqyo.jpg

IMG_20170516_202944_zpst0yicjfa.jpg

IMG_20170516_204002_zpspvv3r6q1.jpg

IMG_20170516_204030_zpskqhyxqng.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Until next time.....

• Like 3

That looks very much like the old Hubley diecast kits.

They were a bit earlier (mid to late '60s I think, possibly even earlier)

I built (badly) a bunch of 'em.

Looks really nice so far!

If I might make a suggestion,  try a flat shoelace for your hoses.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2017 at 6:18 PM, Tzulscha said:

That looks very much like the old Hubley diecast kits.

They were a bit earlier (mid to late '60s I think, possibly even earlier)

I built (badly) a bunch of 'em.

Looks really nice so far!

If I might make a suggestion,  try a flat shoelace for your hoses.

Thanks Tzulscha.

Yes, the instructions and the included catalogue do mention Hubley. They had a nice selection of subjects by the looks of it.

Thanks for the suggestion of shoe laces, I hadn't thought of that!

On 18/05/2017 at 6:24 PM, Chimpion said:

Wow that's interesting! I'm currently  (very slowly) building the ICM kit of the Model T fire truck. This reminds me I should update my WIP!

I had no idea this other kit existed.

Ooh, sounds equally as interesting Chimpion! I'll have to search for your WIP......

2 hours ago, SlowQ said:

It is a very nice piece of work. I'll be very interested in seeing the running gear when it's finished. 

Thank you SlowQ. Here's the completed running gear just mocked up for a photo......

IMG_20170520_094859_zps7wjqpx8p.jpg

IMG_20170520_094914_zpsrkrnkyzu.jpg

I've also got the main body assemblies painted. I used Hycote Rover Flame Red from a rattle can and I think it's mirrored the slightly darker tone of red that these older trucks used quite nicely.

IMG_20170520_095502_zpshtz1as4w.jpg

IMG_20170520_095516_zps0ikirlsn.jpg

IMG_20170520_095533_zpsd2tdbplu.jpg

Next up will be to paint the running boards black and then I'm awaiting on some Valejo Brass paint to be delivered so I can get on with the pinstriping and detail painting before everything gets bolted together.

• Like 1

Thank you for the update. The speed and quality of your work is very impressive. I'm interested in your comment about the use of the rattle can (Hycote Rover Flame Red) as I have never found these easy to use to give a consistent finish with the exception of the Matt or satin blacks. Your coat seems of air brush standard. Is there any special technique you have?

The running gear (chassis?) looks very nice and clean. Very nice build.

Just an idle thought, was the dog included?

Regards

14 hours ago, SlowQ said:

Thank you for the update. The speed and quality of your work is very impressive. I'm interested in your comment about the use of the rattle can (Hycote Rover Flame Red) as I have never found these easy to use to give a consistent finish with the exception of the Matt or satin blacks. Your coat seems of air brush standard. Is there any special technique you have?

The running gear (chassis?) looks very nice and clean. Very nice build.

Just an idle thought, was the dog included?

Regards

Thanks for your kind words!

I've always used rattle cans where I can for spraying. I don't own an airbrush so I suppose I've just developed a decent technique along the way. I tend to spray in a left to right, right to left pattern for one pass, then do the same at 90 degrees, etc, until I get an even coverage.

I restore classic aircraft components as a side line so I suppose that helps towards the attention to detail!

The dog isn't included unfortunately, neither are the crew.

Edited by paul_c
  • Like 1

Many thanks for your comments. I will try the cross hatching technique next time.

Shame about the dog and figures but I await the next instalment with considerable interest.

Best wishes.

Bit of an update after a few quiet days, the Valejo brass acrylic finally arrived so I have been able to get on with the detail painting of the coachlines on the truck. I have also painted and assembled the wheels with their lovely white tyres.

Next up will be to get all of the sub assemblies bolted together and then make a start on the equipment.

IMG_20170524_123947_zps6noba4qv.jpg

IMG_20170524_123817_zpsr7lv7k7u.jpg

• Like 2

Hubley kits were sold under the Gabriel brand name in the 1960's. I'm not sure why the name change, but my guess would be Hubley wanted to differentiate the branding of the die-cast car line from the kit line. Someone else will hopefully come along who can shed more light.  I do recall the kit parts are interchangeable between the two.

Well I finally have a rolling chassis! Everything screwed together really well and I don't think it is looking as toy like as I initially feared.

IMG_20170525_150745_zpsmdrgyd7j.jpg

IMG_20170525_150728_zpsqy5ptjad.jpg

IMG_20170525_150819_zpshdcwvqxs.jpg

I have also made my only concession to the planned OOB build which was to replace the frayed old string that was supposed to represent the hose with some 5mm flat shoe lace which works out roughly to scale for a 4" fire hose.

IMG_20170525_143559_zpsggpv3ydu.jpg

This was then added to the rear body assembly which consists of the chemical tanks, hose real and ladder rack.

IMG_20170525_150930_zps9dp1p4wu.jpg

IMG_20170525_150909_zps98knr7ga.jpg

• Like 2

This is looking good.

These models were actualy designed as toys, and I have found somewhere on the internet that they were used in races. The model needed to run a downhill track and was then judged on performance AND building qualitiy. So in order to get the performance the builder had to build as secure as possible, and to get the most out of the 'elegance concours', it had to look great at the same time :smile:

Nevertheless they build up very nicely if done with care, which shows here.

I have most of this series in my stack and I am pleased to see one of them come by. You don't see them a lot in build fora.

I have done the Roadster version. You can check the build pictures here if you like : http://s145.photobucket.com/user/db114/library/1909 Ford Model T Roadster _ Gabriel/WIP, although I must admit mine has had quite some modifications.

Thanks for sharing this build.

• Like 1

Cracking pictures! I have had trouble with researching details and colours as the trucks tended to be built bespoke to the customer. So many differences so I have decided to use a bit of modeller's licence and go slightly more generic. I love that Fire Chief's car though, so cool.