TRUMPETER WYVERN - Finished RFI posted

TRUMPETER WESTLAND WYVERN 1/48

I have previously posted a couple of completed FAA models on BM but this is my first WIP - I only  decided to do a WIP when I was part way through this build - there  have been quite a few nice builds of the Wyvern on BM since its release and my main interest was in improving the wing fold detail to make it more realistic plus a couple of other refinements.

I think this is a nice kit of the Wyvern that captures the feel of this heavy turboprop aircraft.

REFERENCES

IMG_5354_REFERENCES.jpg

I used the 4 PLUS book and the From the Cockpit publication on the Wyvern as well as some photos I took of the TF1 prototype at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton in 2006 – also found some clear walk around photos of the TF1 on the Prime Portal website.

After a lot of searching in books and on the internet I found it almost impossible to find "in service" Wyvern close up photos showing wing fold details – there are Pilots Notes available but I could not find any maintenance manuals that are available for some aircraft like the Sea Fury and Spitfire.

I scaled up the 1/72 plans 150% to 1/48 scale on my scanner

THE BUILD SO FAR

I used the Wolfpack WW48014 resin cockpit & Eduard air brake etches - still deciding on how much detail to add to the wheel bays as the inner u/c doors will be closed - brake lines were added to the undercarriage legs.

IMG_5338_PAVLA_COCKPIT.jpg

IMG_5337_EDUARD_AIRBRAKES.jpg

The exhausts for the engine were replaced by K&S aluminium tubing

I also reshaped the end of the inner flap fairings by adding plastic to the bottom of the fairing as they  looked too pointed to me

WINGFOLD BREAK

The wing fold details are therefore based on the TF1 which I assume is basically the same on production aircraft but there are some detail variations particularly on the outer wing flap – the main aim was to get rid of the over scale parts (E21 B25 & B29) representing the hinges.

I used the kits aerofoil sections for the wing break (parts D14, D15 & D16 &D17) as I think they give a quite accurate cross section of the aerofoil – I also missed out seeing parts E12 & E13 that provide detail at the wing break which could have saved me a job making them.

To give the wing fold strength I used brass strip and wire incorporated into the wing hinges which were fabricated from plastic card and strip – jury struts were made from K&S brass wire and tube so the plastic hinges only needed to be cosmetic and don’t carry any load.

Once this basic structure was sorted it was just a matter of bit by bit of scratch building the detail at the wing break with plastic strip & rod, solder wire, copper wire from electrical cable etc until it looked busy enough from a viewing distance of about 18 inches (450mm approx.)

SOME EXTRA PHOTOS OF HINGE DETAILS

IMG_5359.jpg

Brass wire and strip reinforcing the hinges

IMG_5367.jpg

holes drilled for the brass pins and cut away area around  hinges to accommodate the fold

IMG_5371.jpg

sketches of estimated shapes hinges and wire reinforcing

P1010365.jpg

P1010367.jpg

Photos I took of hinges on the TF1 Wyvern at Yeovilton 2006

IMG_5343_WINGFOLD.jpg

IMG_4304_WINGFOLD_FRONT_VIEW.jpg

Hydraulic lines are made from lengths of copper wire twisted and soldered each end to make it easier to handle - the photo  below shows prepared copper wire to represent hydraulic lines to go into three different holes in the outer wing

IMG_5396.jpg

The thicker cable is from solder wire

IMG_5348.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

Photo  below shows some hydraulic lines installed in an outer wing panel - the brass etched pieces are from an old Airwaves wingfold etch for the Wyvern - I  have no idea what the flap looks like at the wing break at the so used this piece from the etch - the flap on the out wing panel differs between the prototype and production Wyverns.

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

I think the wing fold is just about done except for tidying up & final fitting out once the angles are checked and the wings go on permanently.

thanks for looking

CJP

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, SimonT said:

Looking very good. Watching for any tips, I have the kit and would like to do the same.

Thank you everyone  for the comments - Simon I have added some extra photos of  the  hinge details that may help your build

CJP

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJP said:

Thank you everyone  for the comments - Simon I have added some extra photos of  the  hinge details that may help your build

CJP

Thank you :) Saved!!

Lovely work, looks very busy!

Some more wing fold photos taken by me at Yeovilton 2006

P1010353.jpg

P1010354.jpg

P1010355.jpg

P1010363.jpg

Not sure about what the grey cable is for that is sitting in the round opening as there is a cylindrical part in the outer wing panel to do with fuel line connections that would mate with the round opening rather than the cable  - bit of a mystery 

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc
  • Like 3

Work on the Wyvern is progressing slowly but every bit helps push it along -

IMG_5444.jpg

Navigation lights glued in and started filling any gaps with Tamiya putty - rocket rails scratch built using the kit stubs and plastic rod and sprue - nothing permanently glued in yet until final adjustments to their alignment and painting done

IMG_5441.jpg

Kit wheels were flattened by heating a Stanley knife blade on a candle and pushing the wheel onto the hot blade - not  entirely happy with them as I have lost a bit of tread detail sanding them  and may replace them with CMK wheels.

IMG_5418.jpg

Also located a picture on the internet showing  Wyvern S4 VZ749/272 E of 813 Squadron - having studied the photo it looks like the spinner is white and very dark blue possibly the same colour blue as the Skyraider in the background - the housing behind the spinner is sky as on the aircraft under surfaces.

Currently thinking of finishing the Wyvern in this scheme.

wyvern-s-mk-4.jpg

credit

https://hushkit.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/wyvern-s-mk-4-2.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc
  • Like 6

A family member who served on HMS Eagle circa 1958 gave me this photo of a Wyvern of 813 Squadron - just luck I ended up with it and I wonder how many more great photos like this are filed away in archives somewhere - no idea if he took it or possibly the ships photographer? - VZ785 270/E

IMG.jpg

Below some more official Royal Navy photos of Wyverns found on internet

VZ785 270/E

2-RARE-Original-Royal-Navy-Photo-Westlan

VW886 361/FD

Edited by CJP
Serial numbers added
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Progress on my Wyvern has been on the backburner for a while and now in to the laborious part of filling, sanding and looking for bits I have missed

IMG_5517_2.jpg

also added the secondary generator cooling intake for late versions which is not provided for in the kit

IMG_5525.jpg

Coated with Tamiya's spray can grey primer and then Humbrol 123 EDSG  enamel

IMG_5515.jpg

I decided to revert to using Humbrol enamels for the Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky camouflage colours on this model as I had a battle with acrylic paint lifting with the masking when I pulled it off on my Seahawk model - I have now started masking so hopefully I wont have the same trouble on this one.

IMG_6162.jpg

The EDSG looks a lot bluer in this photo than it is really

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Coming along nicely!

Martian

Thanks Martian - a way to go yet - I'll feel like I'm getting somewhere once I spray the sky and pull off the masking and see how accurate the masking was - might end up going around in circles as usual - I'm keenly following your S2A and SH34 builds too.

3 hours ago, Britman said:

Lovely bit of work. I do like the Wyvern, but never been to sure of the Trumpeter kit. Looks like I should look out for one. Thank you for the updates. 

Thanks Britman - The Trumpeter Wyvern looks a good representation of the Wyvern to me and I have not felt like making any major changes to it - quite a nice and easy build other than the wing fold and that's my own doing - adding aftermarket cockpit and wheels are optional.

Edited by CJP
text update
  • Like 1

Probably a bit out of sequence but I looked at my reference photos and the 4+ Westland Wyvern book's drawing and notes on armament & equipment and decided the following antenna (B17, C33 & the moulded on AN/APS13 antenna) are not relevant to the later Wyvern I am modelling as they were removed from the airframe on later aircraft - the AN/APS13 was carefully scraped off either side of the fin and the BA aerial and IFF rod will not be fitted - the ZBX radio and VHF aerial under the right wing and VHF on the fuselage will be fitted using old discarded steel guitar string.

Part E22 is the pitot tube to be fitted under the left wing.

WYVERN_ANTENNA.png

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc

One step forward two steps back!

I have managed to get a couple of coats of Sky on the Wyvern using Humbrol matt 90 enamel - unfortunately when cleaning up I managed to snag my foot in the airbrush hose and pulled my airbrush compressor off my workbench and on to the tiled floor - the motor still spins ok but is producing no air pressure to power the airbrush bringing airbrush painting to a sudden halt.

I'm leaving the masking on for now as I wanted to hopefully subdue the rivet detail a bit with another coat or two before I see if I got the camouflage colour lines ok.

IMG_5546.jpg

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 3

Hello CJP,

That's Great, I'll save your thread, I really love the Wyvern, and your is making justice to the original !!

Congratulations, that spark again my envy to start my 2 Wyverns a Trumpy and a Dynavector.

Thank for sharing. :winkgrin:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Very nice work on the wing-fold - don't you be letting those photos get binned off by some greedy photo-host, as I'll need them when I finally dig out my old Trumpy (and Dynavector) kits :blush:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello CJP,

That's Great, I'll save your thread, I really love the Wyvern, and your is making justice to the original !!

Congratulations, that spark again my envy to start my 2 Wyverns a Trumpy and a Dynavector.

Thank for sharing. :winkgrin:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks Corsaircorp - Wyvern is progressing slowly, peeling off masking and touching up - fiddly stuff

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

Very nice work on the wing-fold - don't you be letting those photos get binned off by some greedy photo-host, as I'll need them when I finally dig out my old Trumpy (and Dynavector) kits :blush:

I have those photos saved on my PC and now using Postimage which seems ok - annoying to see others Photobucket pictures replaced by that banner

CJP

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an  update - masking removed and gloss coated with Humbrol Clear thinned with their Acrylic thinners

IMG_5588.jpg

Wings are dry fitted to check alignment with jury struts made from brass wire and thin aluminium tube, CMR resin main wheels and a replacement rocket rail for the one that disappeared into the carpet.

The tail wheel is very fragile and I managed to snap it off and had to repair it using a brass wire pin

IMG_5587.jpg

I printed some home made serials on to clear decal sheet for a couple of aircraft and sealed it with Testors gloss Lacquer so hoping the Inkjet ink won't bleed when I put them in water. I will have to cut between the 7 & 4 on VZ749 to close the gap. These will supplement the kit decals as seen below.

IMG_5585.jpg

I'm still tossing up whether to fit the centreline fuel tank or bomb rack.

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc
  • Like 2