Meng Missiles & Bombs 1/48

Julien

Looks like Meng are branching out into weapons sets, giving Eduard a challenge?

Announcing MENG 1/48 SPS-043 U.S. Short-range Air-to-air Missiles, SPS-044 U.S. Long/Medium-range Air-to-air Missiles, SPS-045 U.S. Satellite-guided Bombs.

mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

mm4.jpg

• Like 5

This shows something you might not have realised: that in sixty years, the US has fielded only five broad types of air-to-air missile that worked (arguably only four).  And it shows how adaptable the Sidewinder has turned out to be - much like the Spitfire in being visibly the same while almost entirely different.

AIM-9E is a bit of a departure.  The usual options are B, D/G, J/N/P, L/M, and now X.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that these will be injection moulded and would be giving Hasegawa more of a challenge / update offering sets rather than individual resin items that Eduard are doing.

Ali

I've mixed feelings.  There weren't that may aircraft types that used Falcons, only the F-14 used Phoenix.  Which means you buy the set, take out the AMRAAMs and AIM-9Xs that you really wanted, and toss the rest into the spares bin...never to be used.

1 hour ago, HMSLion said:

I've mixed feelings.  There weren't that may aircraft types that used Falcons, only the F-14 used Phoenix.  Which means you buy the set, take out the AMRAAMs and AIM-9Xs that you really wanted, and toss the rest into the spares bin...never to be used.

True, the Phoenix was only used by the Tomcat, however this is such a hugely popular subject that I can see modellers buying the set to get the Phoenix alone.

Speaking of Falcons, it's good to see 4 variants of this missile. Wonder when someone will ever make an AIM-26 available in plastic...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HMSLion said:

I have mixed feelings too but, for a different reason. The US is not the only arms manufacturing country. It would be nice to see Meng offering  some NON US items . Of course such may yet follow and, in that event I will happily apologize to Meng!:D

Allan 

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I have mixed feelings too but, for a different reason. The US is not the only arms manufacturing country. It would be nice to see Meng offering  some NON US items . Of course such may yet follow and, in that event I will happily apologize to Meng!:D

Allan 

I want British ordnance!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan 

Isn't the clue in the products title - 1/48 U.S. -  would be more concerned if there were weapons never used by the US with in these kits, rather than leaving the possibility to offer say IAF, Russian, French etc sets later.

Will be interesting to see if these are plastic or resin (suspect plastic given the packaging is like Mengs other supplies series of plastic kits, not their resin ones.

On 5/9/2017 at 9:05 AM, Giorgio N said:

True, the Phoenix was only used by the Tomcat, however this is such a hugely popular subject that I can see modellers buying the set to get the Phoenix alone.

Speaking of Falcons, it's good to see 4 variants of this missile. Wonder when someone will ever make an AIM-26 available in plastic...

yep agree Giorgio, the True Details resin ones [AIM-26s] are quite rare now

3 hours ago, azzaob said:

yep agree Giorgio, the True Details resin ones [AIM-26s] are quite rare now

If you need one, Maestro currently has this missile in their catalogue, with resin body and PE fins. Still not plastic though

57 minutes ago, HMSLion said:

I take the position that weapons used by only one or two aircraft types should be included with the kit.  And yes, I'd like to see non-U.S. ordnance.

Agree with that, would be great if companies always added good weapons to their kits.

On the availability of non US ordnance, it's always been a problem for many, generally only solved by smaller aftermarket companies. At the same time I wonder... if the Falcon is a missile with limited use (only 7 aircraft types), what should be said of most British missiles ? Any box of British ordnance will include missiles that have seen much less use than the Falcon...

• Like 2

On 5/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, Giorgio N said:

If you need one, Maestro currently has this missile in their catalogue, with resin body and PE fins. Still not plastic though

Cheers, I have a set of the True Details ones,  but they look to be out of production now regrettably. Thanks, will take a look at the Maestro ones.

• 2 months later...