Your first aircraft model ?

Nachtwulf

Airfix 1/72 EE Lighning F1a, in late 60's, I remember well the 111sqn (TrebleOne) lightning flashes flanking the fuselage type 'D' roundel !! Very inspirational to young lad of 6 or 7?? 

Living in north Lincolnshire on the fight path into RAF Binbrook seemed an appropriate choice,

I still have a few copies of the kit deep deep in the stash, until recently the only reliable source of smaller ventral fuel tank

u0YKgaR

Thanks Dad

Edited by Kes
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Kes said:

Airfix 1/72 EE Lighning F1a, in late 60's, I remember well the 111sqn (TrebleOne) lightning flashes flanking the fuselage type 'D' roundel !! Very inspirational to young lad of 6 or 7?? 

Living in north Lincolnshire on the fight path into RAF Binbrook seemed an appropriate choice,

I still have a few copies of the kit deep deep in the stash, until recently the only reliable source of smaller ventral fuel tank

u0YKgaR

Thanks Dad

I had that one, XM192?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I built the first kit in 1974 at the age of 7 years, the Matchbox F4U-4 Corsair. What followed it was like a virus, a disease ... incurable ...infected to this day ...😁

corsair01.jpg

Best regards

Peter

• Haha 2

I haven’t got a clue what my first kit was, I was building from the age of 5 and had numerous kits.

The kit that sticks out for me as an early build (and miraculously still exists!) was the Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant.

Built for my Grandfather who worked for Bristol and then BAC from 35-86 apart from a stint in the RAF as an instructor. Not sure why I built the defiant for him as he worked or instructed on Audax’s, Bulldogs, Blenheims, Ansons (RAF Central Flying School), Freighters, Britannia’s, Concorde and BAC One-Elevens. Definitely no Boulton Paul’s.... the workings of a child’s mind!

• Like 1

Oh I remember, I remember. twas a Airfix Fairey Swordfish father bought at Eddie Lax's D I Y shop in Whitehaven. We built it together and I never looked back. 

Anyone else remember that crazy shop?

• Like 1

About 1963 or 4 there was a newsagent at the top of our lane in Purton (not a million miles from Fairford) and they sold Airfix kits in the famous bags for 2/6 if I recall. I can't swear to it but I imagine it would have been a Spit. My dad was ex RAF, as was the head at the school where he taught (Braden Forest) and the pair of them did a display of WWI British aircraft for the anniversary of the start of that war. This must have been what started me on my love of aircraft; I used to do sketches of the artwork in his Profile books (I have the books but sadly not the drawings, not any of the models I made at that time, 'wish I had). He used to organise school trips to Passchendale and wrangled me onto one of them. I haven't thought of any of this for over 50 years, amazing I can still remember any of it! Sorry to go off topic. 

When I re entered this wonderful hobby, still making them in the same way I did as a kid (imagine!) my first model was ALSO a Spitfire, only this time in 1/48 (I never knew until this point that such HUGE models existed!). It was a model my friend's future ex wife gave me, determined he WASN'T going to have it (he was a naughty boy and got caught). Still got it, and re painted it after the great Strevor Snowden told me about how Klear made transfers work properly. I owe my hobby to him and my dad, thanks to you both.

Edited by modelmaker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

You haven't finished it yet?  :giggle:

Ha, ha. Yep, I did get it finished back then, but I'm still at model making today. Haven't managed to kick a rather infectious habit.

1955- I was in the second grade, and my Dad bought me the old Aurora F9F Panther; I was so dumb I cut out the decals and glued them to the model! I do recall the nose probe (I think the kit represented the prototype) kept getting broken off. My second kit was the Aurora F-90 and I glued the tip tanks under the wings, because that's where the F-86F Sabres of the 8th FG had them. (We were stationed at Itazuke AB, Japan with the 8th at that time.) I would like to think I have gotten better since then, but my modeling buddies here might dispute that!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first kit I built myself was the original Airfix P38 Lightning that a friend bought me as a birthday present, my eighth in 1962 I think. Hooked ever since, although I think I have got better in the last 57 years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mr T said:

The first kit I built myself was the original Airfix P38 Lightning that a friend bought me as a birthday present, my eighth in 1962 I think. Hooked ever since, although I think I have got better in the last 57 years. 

Ooh! Clever you,

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Mr T said:

Unlike me!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

spacer.png

My first kit all the way back in 1985. I think I painted it Dark Green and Bronze though 🤣!

Love them or hate them, those Matchbox kits certainly had some brilliant box art.

At my local air museum they are selling second hand kits at reasonable prices currently, with the occasional Matchbox kit appearing on the shelf, resplendent in faded but enticing boxes complete with the viewing window on the back.

I may have to revisit some of my early builds....Bliss!

• Like 1

As best as I can remember I believe it was the 1/48 Monogram Me-109.

I was infatuated with that shiny black and dark green plastic!. Must have

been around 1964.---John

Orhu7zK.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 9:29 AM, Timbo88 said:

Love them or hate them, those Matchbox kits certainly had some brilliant box art.

At my local air museum they are selling second hand kits at reasonable prices currently, with the occasional Matchbox kit appearing on the shelf, resplendent in faded but enticing boxes complete with the viewing window on the back.

I may have to revisit some of my early builds....Bliss!

I have too often been charmed by a lovely bit of box art! I bought many copies of the Fujimi Fw190D-9 as a result of them changing their box art only to find them same dismal plastic inside. :swear: A tough lesson to be sure. ....and I'm still a sucker for nostalgic art on a model box.:banghead:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

OOO a question requiring me to fire up long dormant brain cells that have rusted solid from disuse. THe first would have been either an old Hawk Japanese Zero May have been 1/72 or very small box scale B-36,thought the props in the back were funny. 1961 or 62, . No painting and more glue on the model than in the tube. Glue on everything and fingerprints EVERYWHERE!  Note to self :Don't play with models before the glue had dried, They have an unfortunate habit of not staying together, or sticking to the carpet. Mother is not amused.

Edited by LorenSharp
correction
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2019 at 11:20 AM, Nachtwulf said:

I have too often been charmed by a lovely bit of box art! I bought many copies of the Fujimi Fw190D-9 as a result of them changing their box art only to find them same dismal plastic inside. :swear: A tough lesson to be sure. ....and I'm still a sucker for nostalgic art on a model box.:banghead:

And I thought I was the only one to fall for that stunt.🤣

• Like 1

The first model built FOR me was by my father, I remember watching Steve Canyon on TV .That

was about 1958-59 so I was about 6 years old. I remember running back and forth from the

dining room where my father was building the model to the living room where Steve was on. The

only thing that really sticks in my mind is my father asking me what color the exhaust should be

and I said yellow. Yellow???? he said. I had just seen Steve hit the burners in his F-102.. The only

kit at that time was the Revell 1/78 F-102, I went on years later on a "diet" of Revell-Monogram.---John

7jfZ8US.jpg

• Like 2

My first was the Airfix MkIX Spitfire - 45 + years ago!!! I painted it in dark green/ antique bronze from the original Airfix tinlets- but I do remember you could get the small bottles as well. Oh the days of snapping the tip of a tube of glue and sealing it with one of your mums dress pins 🤗

Happy days👍👍👍

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 2

My first ever model was Hasegawa F-104 Starfighter in 1/72. I was a kid. Had no idea what it was. It included glue though. My uncle brought it for me back from his vacation. I made it with the help of my aunt.

Ever since then, I developed interest in building kits. I was so young I used to read the box F-ten-4. :) 

Edited by stalal
  • Like 2

On 17/02/2020 at 03:47, Radpoe Spitfire said:

My first was the Airfix MkIX Spitfire - 45 + years ago!!! I painted it in dark green/ antique bronze from the original Airfix tinlets- but I do remember you could get the small bottles as well. Oh the days of snapping the tip of a tube of glue and sealing it with one of your mums dress pins 🤗

Happy days👍👍👍

The pin in the tube of glue? I can still remember the stink as glue dribbled everywhere as I desperately tried to get that pin in. How things have improved!