Your first aircraft model ?

Nachtwulf

Hey everyone ... My first model kit was an F-4 Phantom not sure whose kit it was. I want to say Testors. It was 1/48 scale because i can distinctly remember the size. I bought the kit while on vacation in 1980 with family in a rural area of Minnesota. The only paints the country store carried were this bright neon psychedelic poster paints that glowed in the dark. My step-father and i put it together and gave it a very interesting camouflage scheme with those paints. 

Dennis 

ps - looked it up on Scalemates it was the Testors/Italeri RF-4 kit in 1/48.

• Like 1

Late 60s, the Airfix Skyhawk, while my elder brother got the Mig-15. I reckon 45 min tops to complete it.  And after the usual family break, I restarted in 1/32 with Trumpeter's Me-262. Now I am on a strict diet of no stash, 1 kit on the go, and completion times of 9 months to 15 (worst so far!) 

• Like 1

Fw-190A back in the 80's. No idea of the company or why that aircraft. Box art maybe? Either way I remember sticking on the prop and then determining that the gas fire would make the glue dry quicker. It swiftly ended up looking like it had belly landed backwards.

• Like 1

My first build was with my Dad, sat at the dining room table during the winter nights. We stuck together Airfix's Shorts Sterling with bomb tractor, I think my Dad did most of the building. I sat and watched with anticipation of which section was going to be built next, we used red paint on the ends of the props as we didn't have any yellow. I think it was about 1986/87, I've enjoyed modelling ever since.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'd be 7 or 8 (1971-72) and it was the Airfix Mk9 Spitfire. The shop didn't have many paints, knowing Spitfires were green and light brown- I got a tin of green and Bronze to which it was duly painted- the undersides weren't a problem as the kit was light blue plastic. Since then I've had over 400 kits of various subjects and scales.

• Like 1

Like Seahawk the first one built for me was an Airfix Hawker Hurricane plus rocket rails from what must have been very early 1960's.  Only nearly everyone looked at the roundels and told me it was a Spitfire!  I recall being fascinated with the colours cans shape of the transfers as decals were called way back then.

I can't remember the first model I tried myself but would put odds on Airfix and the Mk IX Spitfire JE-J.  

Heller Cadet Alouette III, back in 1973 or 1974.

Closely followed by Heller MS225, then an Airfix B-25.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this discussion- many fond and happy memories while reading all of your comments! My first was the Aurora 1/48 F9F Panther, bought by my Dad at the Itazuke AB base exchange in 1955. I was so dumb I cut out all the decals and glued them to the model...wasn't that was what the raised outlines on the kit were for? I do vaguely remember that the probe on the nose kept getting knocked off.

Mike

https://boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Boxart-Collection/AURORA/MILITARY-AIRCRAFT/JET/Aurora-F9F-Panther-2nd-Blue-Panel-FFOAN

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

McDonnell VH-1 (VX-1) late 50s Dad helped me out. Followed by X15 (Revell?)  Neptune, some small airliners, Then 1st personal purchase was the Airfix Lanc at 11 from 1st paperound wage. Restarted a couple of years ago with New lance and old Stirling

• Like 1

First aircraft model, using "professional" glue and Humbrol paints - July 1988 Matchbox 1/72 Tornado F.3

WOW it's been 30 years since....Happy anniversary!!!!!!

By the way, I still have this kit. It's in a looong storage at my personal AMARC!!!!:goodjob:

Edited by Shalako
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, Nachtwulf said:

Later on when I was 12 I thought I had achieved advanced modeller status when I was able to assemble a model without getting glue fingerprints on the canopy.

:goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, Nachtwulf said:

Now I can't assemble anything straight out of the box.:shrug:

Ain't that the truth!!! Unfortunately!!

Consumerism has also affected our hobby.

• Like 1

Probably either the very early Airfix Spitfire, with moulded on pilot figure, or the Frog Javelin, which also had a moulded on crew and no undercarriage openings.  the blue plastic. Both very badly built.

Then I 'helped' my Dad build a Revell 1/48th Sikorsky S-55, with its engine door open so the engine inside could be seen. That was a fine model kit.  It was re-issued when my son was young, so I had to buy another copy! 

• Like 1

Hawk P-51D, in July, 1952. Easy to remember the date because it was purchased for me by my aunt, while my mother was in the hospital having my third sister. Recollection is that it was about 1/48 Scale and not much more tha 9 parts. Said goodbye to 1/48th forever when Airfix appeared in my local 5&10 store. Summer of 1960.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

really first? 

a Lufthansa JU52 cardboard model in 1/33 at the age of maybe 6?

plastic kit , a Revell Tigermeet F-15 1/144

first self bought kit: Revell F-117 in 1/48 - the start of my 1/48 career nearly 20years ago!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, exdraken said:

really first? 

a LUfthansa JU52 cardboard model in 1/33 at the age of maybe 6?

plastic kit , a Revell Tigermeet F-15 1/144

first self bought kit: Revell F-117 in 1/48 - the start of my 1/48 career nearly 20years ago!

Now that has brought back memories. Probably when I was 10, 1948.

Books were sold and they were full of thick paper models. The pieces had perforations

and folding tabs. Fold the tabs and paste to the adjacent pieces.

I spent ages making these models. Cars aircraft nouses lorries etc. Kept me amused for hours.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

Airfix Folland Gnat - one of the bagged kits bought at Woolworth's! 1966. I was 8. I was also hooked from that moment! I even managed to painstakingly cut out the transfers and glue them (backing paper and all!) on to the glue besplattered  model! :lol:.

Allan

• Like 2

IIRC my first airplane model was either the old Revell 1/72 Zero in pale-ish green plastic or the equally old Revell 1/72 Mustang - the one with the bright red fuselage.:winkgrin:

Many moons ago (sigh) :clif:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Airfix Folland Gnat - one of the bagged kits bought at Woolworth's! 1966. I was 8. I was also hooked from that moment! I even managed to painstakingly cut out the transfers and glue them (backing paper and all!) on to the glue besplattered  model! :lol:.

Allan

This exactly matches my first experience - same kit , same treatment of the decals but a couple of years later 

• Like 2