Turenne's Nieuport 11, Eduard 1/48

Some days ago Sandbagger shows his Nieuport 11, something I can show here too. This one was flown by Turenne. This was my last finished model 2016.

The base of this build was the Eduard weekend edition, but I added the offered PE set and used the precut mask set too. The engine is again a kit from Small Stuff, Gaspatch provided metal turnbuckles and the resin Lewis. The struts, air screw and skid assembly are self made from different kind of wood.

The painting was done with Alclad and Gunze, some oils are used for weathering.

I hope you will like it,

Frank

zndhQgpyu7LOswJcJsZjGbXwKwoSyRYzbR9Ft24F

2UpWmirO-sIMWk3X_pK0JjAf_Z2QoYZLY85v-YFZ

X_EHMrgnSMfOaFSsK80BfSV4PI7VV0reztSdp029

ojpGigTDSBNW-_2bAuRth4iJ2gVrQs7-8pa35xU4

aBjHFGQtkmY7KCPmH_0ijvC7c7mNl0YkAPs7UoaV

HK_UZPeVsyDq43qs8fkFvkeZafp5QDSgICUM0TjT

joeBZIBYh_jkgLDWghhCAKKnxBiBw6ACA2jmZUJX

yy4Wbj1Vak9HeNCi2eE0LwiXY7k_baU5vM0Ce_E_

GyZ03SIx6qgnPd-I8nxeOoRaWiSOFf_QxKMzG7ya

6riCf6JeHMsDtEfpe0jSmTfb2d_vj0xz9xJ2i3AK

oLwmRBWAXHiVyvfCLsjnJTKXCsIBdP9ZyD9IgnlN

The view from below with real metal plate  on the front:

MIVRS0ibKC5bK-9UwYi7yCY-oKIP_tO62T4aI0FQ

UARTtBoIrqiCVvwheX1SDxWjpW0MAiEZtV07DSzH

Some details, here engine, brass fuel cap and wooden prop:

MBnDGmz4Lv-7LXslsa67pkQ7F5tFhFyF00DfST-w

The engine on a 1 Euro Cent coin:

Q_A5n9JZq1zHOd_ImTQXmDhIi-ucwCMyIBbHkER-

And the mentioned wooden/metal skid assembly. The flat spring is from a cordless mouse, because it has to carry the whole model.

alPaC_kfIAwWB8QItMPOYWeoGs9AteN_Yds4r6NF

• Like 49
  • Thanks 3

Beautiful aircraft !

Fantastic job on it!

You just can think it is ready to take off in front of you.

Such a realistic finish is quite unbelievable.

Congratulations for such a fantastic work.

:clap::worthy::goodjob:

• Like 2

Absolutely amazing.

I've got the Nieuport 17 on the go. It will be my first attempt at rigging so I think putting turnbuckles on might be a step too far out of my comfort zone.

Pete

Edited by Buzby061
Spellung
  • Like 1

That is a very striking colour scheme extremely well executed. The propellor and tail skid are gems in thier own right. Those Small Stuff engines are truly superb as shown on your model. Just first class in every way.

P

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Waooh! I am very impressed by your work on this build. Is there a step by step thread dedicated to it?

If no, I would like to know how you made these incredible turnbuckles. The wood parts are amazing too (rear « tail wheel », propeller) and the general level of realism is exceptional. 

Thank you in advance and congrats again!!
Olivier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At first thank you Olivier, to get this Nieuport of my older builds to the top page! Here are so many great models, that a single one lost easily.

And thank you to all the others for your nice words!

12 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Is there a step by step thread dedicated to it?

This build was done 4 years ago and I wrote also a detailed log as for all my builds, but at that time only in german language (may be a online translator helps): https://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=56389.0

For my newer builds there are also build reports in english on forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

12 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

I would like to know how you made these incredible turnbuckles.

Since then I learned a lot, but I used already there the 1/48 metal turnbuckles from gaspatchmodels.com (Greece). I like them a lot, only the solution for the british biplanes using RAF wires is not usable for me.

Here I developed a own solution from scratch, used on my masterpiece (in my personal view) until now:

Adding parts created from wood and metal brings a lot of life to my models. Which reminds me to add some detail pictures to my latest build from this year, a Sopwith Schneider as Monaco Racer with real wooden floats.

See you in the neighbor thread :bye:

I hope at least some of your questions are answered?

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Franck! I have ordered the turnbuckles from Gaspatch (chosen the One-end type as there are several ones). I am really impressed by the wonderful wooden made parts. can you explain me how you did that please?

I have built a 1st version of this Eduard kit, following step by step the Juan Manuel Villalba's one (in the french "Guide du maquettisme aéronautique", Histoire et collections, 2011). You will notice that the rosettes are represented both sides, trying to get a transparency effect through the linen. In reality, I don't think that they were visible like that but it was an interesting challenge to try giving such an effect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

But, aware that this version may be improved (especially the rigging), I have made research of documents (it is doing so that I fell on your amazing build) and I intend to build a 2nd version, that should be a little better (I hope) than this one. 

ATB

Olivier

N.B: I noticed that I forgot the rigging behind the radiator case. I am gonna add them on this version as soon as I get the Gaspatch turnbuckles...