1/72nd Sword Seafire XV 806 Sqn, HMS Glory 1946.

Another fairly recent build, this is the Sword Seafire XV of 806 Sqn Fleet Air Arm based on HMS Glory. The Seafire XV was basically a strengthened Seafire III airframe with a Griffon VI engine. This was derived from the Griffon IIb used in the Spitfire XII and unlike the engine in the Spitfire XIV etc. had a single stage supercharger. Compared to the Seafire III, the Seafire XV had an improved performance, particularly at low altitude. The first squadrons received their aircraft in September 1945 and by mid-1946 had completely replaced the Seafire III in first line FAA service. 806 Squadron received their aircraft in October 1945 and became part of 16th Carrier Air Group embarked in HMS Glory in September 1946 and based in the Far East. The Squadron disbanded in October 1947, reforming briefly in 1948 and more permanently with Sea Hawks in 1953.

The model is basically the Sword kit from the box with only the addition of seat belts and a whip aerial. The decals are from the kit and I chose this scheme as it was a little unusual in that it was the post war scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky but with British Pacific Fleet Roundels. There is a colour photo of the aircraft in Vol 16 of ‘Planes of Fame’. The kit itself posed few problems apart from the perennial problem I have with Spitfire kits of getting a good fit on the wing joints. The canopy could also have been a bit easier, but it was a short run kit and as they go I think it is one of the better ones and a much better kit than my previous effort of building a XV using a conversion kit (Brigade Models?) that used the Italeri IX as a basis. Hope you like it. 

33683730986_2ab9f4da08_z.jpg

33595474001_2ff46994bc_z.jpg

32881924424_0670b2096c_z.jpg

32911062163_9a1c0ec0cc_z.jpg

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Lovely. Still my favourite spit variant- all the looks of an early spit with the might of the Griffon up front.

Any tips for those very neatly applied white bands on the spinner?

The white bands were about the most 'fun' part of the build. I originally thought of masking and painting, but then thought by the time I masked the bands it might be easier to do use some decal strips. What did was cut short lengths of white stripe out of the Xtradecal assorted stripes set and use plenty of red Daco setting solution. By cutting away as much carrier film as a I could and using short lengths, I could persuade the strips to go round the spinner in a more or less parallel fashion. The trick is to let one section settle before you start the next.

Thanks for all the comments

1 hour ago, Martin T said:

The white bands were about the most 'fun' part of the build. I originally thought of masking and painting, but then thought by the time I masked the bands it might be easier to do use some decal strips. What did was cut short lengths of white stripe out of the Xtradecal assorted stripes set and use plenty of red Daco setting solution. By cutting away as much carrier film as a I could and using short lengths, I could persuade the strips to go round the spinner in a more or less parallel fashion. The trick is to let one section settle before you start the next.

Thanks for all the comments

Cheers. I've tried the same but not as successfully. Maybe cutting away the carrier film is the step I've missed out. Thanks!

Will

• Like 1