Proteus Models Convair 440 (34SQN RAAF)

I am building this kit for a 34SQN (RAAF) 75th Anniversary display in November at our annual competition, using the Proteus CV440 with some nice Hawkeye Models Australia decals.

Hoping it will turn out something like this

5974853218_db77b5fd45_b.jpg

Started earlier this year with the bulkheads and cockpit, the supplied resin floor piece was a bit thin/weak so it was replaced with plastic card, which also helped to secure it into the fuselage side. I don't get along with super glue for structural joints.

36140344100_eb0a0c8f7b_b.jpg

Installed into the fuselage half
36398881691_85ef4d72fa_b.jpg

Cockpit roof removed to fit clear section, cuts were not so perfect, some filling required when the parts are finally glued.
36368047502_b327b5acf3_b.jpg

Reinforcing strips added for the canopy section, where I could fit them that is!
36139886260_acac26df68_b.jpg

Some white metal parts in the kit
36139886710_3f3b4c31b9_b.jpg

36536387745_997fff40cd_b.jpg

This much plus a little more already in the LHS nose cone.

36139884670_1bb4167c21_b.jpg[

Fuselage together and seams puttied (round 1)

36139883850_9eb395d9a4_b.jpg

The opening for the wing is a tad large ( resin shrinkage causing some of this?)

36139883600_7824e2e43b_b.jpg

Some packing applied

36368045902_5526fa9e09_b.jpg

Most of packing applied and tidied up, this also gives a larger glueing surface. Lots of putty work and sanding on the way

36139883330_8dc0c99a8c_b.jpg

Edited by TrojanThunder
Updated Image links
  • Like 19

I have this beast in its Canadair Cosmopolitan disguise. I had a great deal of difficulty fitting the engine cowlings to the wings; the resin shrinkage was massive there and nothing fit. I should have taken out shares in Milliput ;P

• Like 1

I built this kit back when first released.  I had very little difficulty with the fit though the attachment of the vertical stabilizer was challenging.  I did have a small step, as you do, with the wing joint.  Overall, it was one of the most satisfying vac kits I've ever built.  It's currently in the paint shop to be overhauled to Real Aerovias Brasil markings.

xEcEqe.png

You've made good progress on yours.

Edited by BMW535is
  • Like 9

Looking forward to see this one cross the finish line. Ray are you doing the scheme depicted in the photo?

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 1

On 2017-5-7 at 1:53 AM, Wilks said:

Looking forward to see this one cross the finish line. Ray are you doing the scheme depicted in the photo?

Cheers,

AGW..

Thanks all,

Yes Wilks, it will be the scheme in the photo, my main decal man has also supplied me with the Royal logo on the nose that is not currently supplied with the sheet.

Thanks BMW, I always dread mounting the rear stabilisers, I am thinking I will be pinning them the best I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking Good

I am building the Mach 2 kit  also a lot of work but i love the aircraft

One question, i am trying to decide what scheme to paint it in i.e with the dayglo panels or not, from pics ive found i cannot see the dayglo panels on the upper wing surfaces only underneath, decal instructions ( Hawkeye ) do confirm this but i still have my doubts are you able to positively confirm or deny their presence on upper wings please

Cheers

Thanks Norman,

I have not researched much into this but found this black and white image on the ADF Serials website that seems to show the dayglo panels on the upper wings. That is good enough for me. I can confirm with Mr Hawkeye about it as well.

Hi Ray

Many thanks for that image and yes i agree  they are on top wings also ! Hawkeye do say they are in the instructions and i usually trust him ! but its very nice to see that image

Thanks again !

Norm

Yes, it is good to have the instructions backed up with real life examples Norm.

So I have the wing/fuselage join almost sorted now, another round of putty and sanding should have it looking OK

36139883110_7c25636f18_b.jpg

36139882960_296c8cc5d5_b.jpg

and the cockpit section dipped in Future and drying

36139882700_acc44318b9_b.jpg

I might have to give the upper fuselage seam a bit of attention, there seems to be a small step on it, Something that may show up with a metallic finish.

• Like 6

I have updated the previously posted pictures and have made some progress.

The cockpit glazing was glued in.

36139882210_92299b1d5a_b.jpg

I managed to misalign it, so out with the putty ( the  story of my life)

36139881280_146d182580_b.jpg

It stayed in that state for a while until I was bothered to mask it up.

36536387075_a6358f974a_b.jpg

Today I have fitted the vertical and horizontal stabs and engine nacelles, In my usual haste I attempted to but join them with epoxy, but I came to my senses and drilled and pinned the stabs.

36139880760_e6df07edff_z.jpg

36398882471_aa66c38ae5_b.jpg

I also finally got the sh*ts with the warped wings. I had attempted to straighten them with the hot/cold water trick. Once I thought they were OK I would come back a couple of days later and find the warps had reappeared.

So out with the razor saw and some slots were cut into the wings, these were then filled with super glue and flexed into the correct position. I then hit the glued sections with an accelerant. There are better now I that will be all I do with them.

36398881991_d4aaa65081_b.jpg

Some more putty was applied

36368047972_2af547bb4e_b.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Alfa Juliet Whisky said:

G'day Ray, is this as far as you got with this model ? I want to see it in it's finished state !!

Yeah me too! I would like a Convair on my shelf, not fond of the Mach 2 wing planform though, and I dont often see Proteus examples..hating resin these days any way

G'Day chaps, it got further, I had paint on it but one of the colours I used reacted not so well with the others and I had to rub it all back.

It is back in the queue to get finished, I actually went and counted how many started kits I had and was shocked. So a reality check was made and I have decided to work on the older started kits and try and work my way through them.

At the moment  C-130s are the topic of my attention. I am not sure when I will get back to this one.

• Like 2

The problem paint was the International orange, I think it was testors acrylic and did not spray well and ended up orange peeling very badly. I could not remove it with the usual oven cleaner method and had to sand the rest off.

G'day Ray, are those plastic wheels next to the Tamiya putty replacements for the kit metal ones ? if so more details please !!

Allan.

G'Day Allan, Welcome to BM!

No mate, they are not replacements. In my usual 'work on 50 kits at a time' method, I have parts from all sorts of projects floating around the bench. Those are C130 wheels for an Italeri kit.

Also in shot are Beech King Air fuselage halves, Skyhawk gear doors, C-130 pilot probes and fuel tanks and P-3 Antennas.

My current 'in work' projects is are KC-130J and C-130J-30.

Thanks Ray, my wheels are out of register, how are yours ? also how do I add a picture to this ?

Allan

I can't recall what my wheels are like,

To add images to your posts you need a photo hosting website like Flickr or others to upload your picture to and then add a link to them here. No uploading here after a hacker attack some years ago.

• 9 months later...

Over the past few days I have been revisiting this one.

Here is a shot not previously post of the stage it got to before the paint disaster, It was looking OK.

50332819007_50384c5276_b.jpg

Any way that is ancient history.

I have now finished removing most of the bad paint and began reattaching the small parts that came off during the stripping and sanding. Time to prime and see what other fixes are required

50332654851_e60ba06b22_b.jpg

The left wing is warped and I have attempted to correct it with some persuasive cuts and re-gluing.

• Like 3

"Hoping it will turn out something like this"

I have no doubts that it will.   May I suggest carefully measuring and cutting white decal sheet to the appropriate size, then over-spraying with a few coats of international orange?  I would suggest Vallejo's bright red-orange as a substitute for Testors' awful stuff.  This is what a friend of mine and I did on a C-119 project, and it worked well--especially on areas where there are no compound curves.

You've overcome numerous challenges on this project so far!

• Like 1