Thanks Cookenbacher, :smile:

Yes, most of them are Airfix. Just the bluenosed one is from Tamiya. Sorry, forgot to mention that. Here is one more but this time from Hasegawa.

J 26 "gul Harald (yellow Harald) from F 16 at "Uppsala Flygflottilj" 1945...

Cheers / André

cd9db2bf-6fed-46fb-8beb-7bc5bec9fb7c.jpg

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

Some more "Work Bench Mustang's"...

spacer.png

"Cookie", the Airfix kit with the nice decals from the ancient Revell kit...

spacer.png

Sunny VIII, another Airfix P-51D with decals from Peddinghaus. The hardest thing was painting the blue and red nose with the thin red lines back to the canopy frame...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 4

The HobbyBoss P-51D...

This one is intended to be one of the Mustang's that emergency landed in Sweden during the war.

It is painted in Humbrol Hu 163 dark green and Hu 165 medium sea grey.

48547682686_93ce7e93a1_o.jpg

The HobbyBoss P-51D wasn't actually that bad. But it's sad that they didn't put some more hours in concerning enginering of the kit, some research and comparing with other existing P-51D kits. The worst thing is that the spinner actually is bigger than the fuselage. And as the fuselage is moulded in one part there isn't much to do about it...

Cheers / Andre

Edited by Andre B

Painting and sanding of my P-51D wings...

I think most of us agree that the latest Airfix P-51D has the best wheelbays of the available P-51D Mustangs in 1/72 scale. It has an accurate main wing spar and is well detailed. I usually don't do  anything about the round "pushmarks" from moulding process as they are covered by the underside wingparts.

spacer.png

The panel lines is not that deep and can easily be fixed as on the real thing. I usually paint the panellines with Humbrolpaints and smoth them out with some wetsanding before painting them with RAL 9006 wiessaluminium, a rather dull "silver" that goes well with the Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal silver and TS-17 Gloss Aluminium on the fuselage, fuel tanks, flaps and ailerons...

spacer.png

Concerning Tamiya and Airfix kits they have an "snap fit" when it comes to fuselage and wings.

So I don't glue them toghether. I just "snap them" in place after painting and decals...

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

@Andre B All very useful, Andre. I am embarking on a multi-Mustang build at the moment. They are all Latin Americans. The first is nearly done. Having built Airfix before (three) I went for Tamiya this time. Aside from the known flaw around the wheel bay/spar, the incorrect "strengthening plate" rivet heads on the wings, and the omission of dropped flaps, I favour it over Airfix. Certainly the canopy fits better! ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. If you are planning an "multi Mustang build" wait for the Britmodeller Groupon build. It starts in december.

I had no problems with the canopy with either Tamiya or Airfix. I just dip the clear part in Johnson Clear/Future and put it in the (painted) frame and let it dry. When dryed it is as glued to the frame and fits nice to the fuselage.

As I usually fill the panellines in the wings and wetsand them smoth I have no problems with the Tamiya wings. But I prefere the dropped Airfix flaps.

What I dislike with the Airfix kit is the badly molded antenna and bent/soft landinggear. They for sure could make those parts without problems on the older P-51D and P-51B kits. So why can't Airfix fix the problems with their latest kit and give it some new parts?

Cheers / André

3 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. If you are planning an "multi Mustang build" wait for the Britmodeller Groupon build. It starts in december.

I had no problems with the canopy with either Tamiya or Airfix. I just dip the clear part in Johnson Clear/Future and put it in the (painted) frame and let it dry. When dryed it is as glued to the frame and fits nice to the fuselage.

As I usually fill the panellines in the wings and wetsand them smoth I have no problems with the Tamiya wings. But I prefere the dropped Airfix flaps.

What I dislike with the Airfix kit is the badly molded antenna and bent/soft landinggear. They for sure could make those parts without problems on the older P-51D and P-51B kits. So why can't Airfix fix the problems with their latest kit and give it some new parts?

Cheers / André

I'd love too, Andre, but I can't ever be sure of meeting deadlines with my modelling. I do it around everything else. I've avoided GBs for this reason. My Mustangs are going to be Bolivian (1 x NMF current and 1 x camo to be started next), Guatemalan (x3 camo, display team and NMF), Uruguayan (x1 NMF) and El Salvadorean (x1 camo). 

The Airfix forward canopy has fit issues. I had it with all three of my previous builds. I will drop a few of my Tamiya kit's flaps for effect. If you look at photos they can be eiyther when parked. They do look great with everything down, though. I'll be honest, I didn't notice the undercarriage issues. The Tamiya is a beauty :).

Martin 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, Sturmovik said:

That Revell kit was my first Mustang ever! 

My first 1/72 scale P-51D was the 1991 Airfix P-51D with Swedish decals (1974 tool).

Here you have the 1963 Revell P-51D (bottom) with the 1955 Lindberg (top) and 1958 Airfix (middle) kits.

spacer.png

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/lindberg-309-29-north-american-p-51d-mustang--987619

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-1405-north-american-mustang--170927

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-619-p-51d-mustang--158272

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a lot of Mustangs!  Now I don't feel so bad about the Spitfire collection I've amassed in the stash! :D 

What color did you used for the blue on the blue nose?

These all look very nice!

• Like 2

Thanks, :)

No reason to feel bad for any collection amassed in the stash. And when it comes to Mustang's there is always one more colourfull aircraft to build! ;)

As I paint most of my aircrafts with Tamiya AS and TS spray can paints I think the bluenosed P-51D was painted with Tamiya TS-15.

Cheers / André

• Like 1

Hi,

Wonder if someone has experience of the "Obscureco resin parts" for the Tamiya Mustang making it to an Early P-51D-5?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/obscureco-aircraft-obs72014-p-51-d-5-na-mustang--999901

I also have an idea of using the rudder and elevators from the early Hasegawa kit to the Airfix or the the Tamiya kit as they have an rather different surface...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

Hi,

Wonder if someone has experience of the "Obscureco resin parts" for the Tamiya Mustang making it to an Early P-51D-5?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/obscureco-aircraft-obs72014-p-51-d-5-na-mustang--999901

I also have an idea of using the rudder and elevators from the early Hasegawa kit to the Airfix or the the Tamiya kit as they have an rather different surface...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Obscureco are nice but maiking contact isn't easy. I've got three emails in to Chris at the moment and no replies :(

Martin

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Obscureco are nice but maiking contact isn't easy. I've got three emails in to Chris at the moment and no replies :(

Yes, sad, as I need some 110gal tanks from him for some of my Mustangs........

Martin

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, sad, as I need some 110gal tanks from him for some of my Mustangs........

Martin

Let's hope that he reply your e-mails...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

The Hasegawa rudder with the Airfix fuselage...

The hard thing would be to cut of the rudder without damage the Hasegawa fuselage beyond repair. On the other hand one get an antenna, landinggears and a control column that is easy to use to the Airfix kit.

spacer.png

Edited by Andre B