Norwegian F-104 roundels

Ranger626

Examination of many photos leads me to think that Norwegian F-104's / CF-104's used two different sized sets of roundels.   For both early and late aircraft the wing roundel is larger than the fuselage roundel, but the earlier natural metal finish aircraft appear to have had larger wing and fuselage roundels than the later olive green over gray aircraft.    There was another finish color (either silver paint or light gray paint, I can't tell) that I have not determined whether the early roundel size or the late roundel size was used.

If I am correct about there having been two different roundel sizes used on Norwegian Starfighters, can anyone tell me the correct diameters for the early and the late fuselage and wing roundels?     Or confirm the color for the 'middle period' paint color  (silver or light gray paint)?

Thank you.

Thanks RidgeRunner.     I am aware of the Vingtor sheet 48-004, but it is long out of print and I have been unable find one.     Can you tell me more about the Nordic Airpower book?    Author and publisher?    Maybe describe contents?

Hi Ranger626, the details are at the link I inserted. Beautiful images. A bit prices but worth every penny, I reckon. I just sad the Danish one is out of print:(.

Martin

Thanks Martin.   I followed the link and ordered the NAP#3 Luftforsvaret book.    Too bad the NAP#1 Flyvevabnet book is sold out; I would have ordered that one too.  Maybe I can find one at a second hand bookseller.

Still hoping someone out there can quote the roundel diameters for Norwegian Starfighters.....

Originally the F-104Gs had 500mm fuselage roundels and 1000mm on upper and lower surfaces of both wings. For some reason, the fuselage roundels were incorrectly proportioned. In 1972 new directions called out for smaller roundels, 400mm on the fuselage, upper surface of port wing and lower surface of starboard wing. It took some time before the markings were changed on the Gs, but the CF-104s that were operated from 1973 had all the new smaller roundels.

Nils

• Like 2

The F-104Gs were originally bare metal with white/grey wings. Three airframes (Canadair assembled F-104Gs) had grey fuselages, apart from parts of the tail section. From 1972, all F-104Gs were eventualle painted overall grey, when also new roundels were applied.

The CF-104s were all camouflaged olive green / metallic grey.

Nils

Edited by Vingtor
  • Like 2

Thank you very much Nils!    That is exactly the information I was seeking.

A follow-up question if I may:     It sounds like you are saying three color schemes:    1) natural metal with white/gray wings    2) overall light gray  and   3) olive green over gray.    Am I correct in reading this to mean there was not  an overall silver paint used on Norwegian Starfighters?     Some photos I have seen have aircraft finishes that look very much like an aluminum paint.   Perhaps just a result of lighting or film use made the light gray finish appear silver?

Again, thanks.

Never a silver paint on Norwegian Starfightes. Your three categories are very much the case:

1) Natural metal with white/grey wings - early F-104G scheme - with grey paint on much of the fuselage for the 3 Canadair asselbled airframes.

2) Overall light grey - for later F-104Gs. The grey paint had some silver pigment.

3) Olive green over grey - for the CF-104s.

By early scheme, I mean with the (RAF style) squadron code - FN for 331 Squadron. In September 1972 this system was replaced with a 3-digit tail number (in some cases four digits, in case two aircraft would have the same last-three of the serial number).

Nils