3 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Just out of interest, I wonder if all the Coastal Craft kits for the later BPB MGB/MTB's have the rub/spray rail in the wrong location?

Think that the hull and decks are generic to that type so more than likely will be wrong  ;)

Think Seadog (Frazer) might have had a similar issue

beefy

We are all guilty of assuming the manufacturers have it right :sad:

From what I can see this is the case here I offer John Lamberts plan

John Lambert 467 detail (Copy)

One of several pics I have

G type MTB 460 CT-325

These seem to show that the rail is toooo  low ....

Compare with early pic of hull #29 clearly part of the casting

Kev

• Like 3

Interestingly, I couldn't find a side view of the actual BPB resin hull in any of the Coastal Craft on-line publications, only deck & bottom views.  I guess, since the BPB boats haven't been as popular as the Vospers, this issue hasn't been flagged in the past.  I used this photo for reference during my build - MTB 486, & was able to get the rails located fairly accurately (even though I still didn't get the width & thickness just right :banghead:)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Think that the hull and decks are generic to that type so more than likely will be wrong  ;)

Think Seadog (Frazer) might have had a similar issue

beefy

I did, but easily sorted

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, seadog said:

I did, but easily sorted

Maybe for someone with your talents but obviously not for a numpty like me who should have checked first before getting this far  :oops:

• Like 1

Well I had hoped to get this done soon but looks like I may be a while

bit the bullet and a lot of cursing and removed the streak  :unamused:

One side done now for the other I will then spend some time sanding and reflecting on my mistake of not checking first  :angry:

IMG_4449.jpg

beefy

• Like 4

Kev that would be great thanks appreciate all your help with this 

It is the photo you posted that has made my mind up about changing it

will pm e mail soon thanks again 

beefy

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Well I had hoped to get this done soon but looks like I may be a while

bit the bullet and a lot of cursing and removed the streak  :unamused:

One side done now for the other I will then spend some time sanding and reflecting on my mistake of not checking first  :angry:

IMG_4449.jpg

beefy

Halfway there, then. I had hoped that I'd  posted some pics on photo bucket  of when I went through this, but it seems I didn't. I think I shouldn't have written  "easy enough". Looking back I now recall a fair bit of swearing....you'll get there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

John on your model I have also noticed some small vent like things on the upper hull side and what looks like an exhaust port

Any explanation as to what these would be please  :book:

beefy

I'm guessing, but the round bumps look like air vents.  The starboard side also includes two holes for water/exhaust outlets near the stern.  The large hole on the port side in the photo of 486 (in my earlier post) looks like some sort of exhaust.  This opening isn't present in any of the other photos of the BPB boats I've seen, so I didn't include it on my build.

Here are a couple of photos showing the actual vents & outlets;

25210887808_f5e97a5f57_z.jpg

24233669987_a2a1739eb0_z.jpg

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 3

OK so got round to adding the new streaks bit of a tidy and will be ready for paint I now have 2 weeks off work so hope to get back up to speed on this build over the holidays

I used 6 mm tape to keep the plastic strip level to the deck edge which now means I have 15 mm below the streaks to add the 6 mm decals and space to keep the Grey and white even on the dip at the bow  :idea:

IMG_4452.jpg

beefy

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

Oh, Go on. Especially if it's one of those snazzy blue plasters.

I'm very tempted to rummage through the cupboard and read 'A Prayer for the Ship' again

sorry no blue plasters only Mr men and not proud of it me being a safety supervisor at work  ;)

19 minutes ago, salmo G said:

looking good, do you plan on making a sea base for it?

Most of my ship models are on a sea base this one will be too want to try and match the above photo posted by Kev Longshanks will be using my usual method using silicone sealant

beefy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I'm very tempted to rummage through the cupboard and read 'A Prayer for the Ship' again

What a good idea for some holiday reading & what a superb cover, least the edition I have.

Sorry 'bout the finger Beefy, I'll look forward to resumption of normal service. All the best for tomorrow.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Steve, 

That's the same cover as my copy by the artist Chris Magyer. He did all the early Reeman/Kent covers and lots of other work. They always seemed to help 'draw' me into the story.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chris+mayger&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB769GB769&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSocvUl6LYAhUKLcAKHVN6A34QsAQIOA&biw=