OK so time to start my next project and wanting to give my eyes a rest from 1/350 so this will be the Coastal Craft kit of the British Power Boat Company 71ft 6in motor torpedo boat-466 in 1/72 scale which was lost in a fatal accident at Ostend harbour in February 1945 :poppy:

This will be my first resin kit so slow learning curve expected only ever used resin as stowage on my amour builds in the past.I had been thinking of jumping straight in with my new purchase of the Fairmile D but when I had a good look in the box I thought Nah go for the little one first  ;)

So starting to look at all the parts and making sure I have read all the instructions first which is totally new to me  :rolleyes:

IMG_3659.jpg

There is a lot of stuff in this little box and it is heavy when you compare to a standard kit

IMG_3661.jpg

Colour scheme this should be a challenge to paint and by the way I will be using the AKAH set from Coastal Craft to paint this

IMG_3660.jpg

Off to read the instructions now this may take a while

Beefy

• Like 9

Excellent Stuff Beefy - I'm drawing up a seat and will be watching how this shapes up with very keen interest:popcorn:

The AKAH paint are excellent and deserve to be far better known.

I'm saving my pennies to buy a Coastal Craft 71 ft Vosper.

Keep it coming!

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Rob you may be sitting there a while at my build rate  :rolleyes:

I have already used these paints on the larger MTB 74 I did last year they cover very well :yes:

First question for those that have already used resin  :idea:

What is the best way to re-shape the hull and deck it looks like the deck is far to straight to get the correct whale back curve just around the breakwater area  

I have heard some people use warm water or low heat from a hair dryer but which is the safe option for some one that has NOT a clue ( Yes that is Me ):whistle:

I can see I will be having a lot of fun with this build so I think I better go and sound proof the workshop just in case the neighbors hear just how much fun I ,am having  :rage: ( Pike you stupid Boy )

Beefy

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Coastal Craft kit of the British Power Boat Company 71ft 6in motor torpedo boat-466 in 1/72 scale

Oh Yes!! Nice one Matey :penguin:

Looking forward to watching this one develop......................

Sounds like I'm going to have to try these AKAH paints.

I've not done the resin bending 'Jig' but my thoughts would be start with the warm / hot water. More controllable and gives heat all around. From trying to bend plastic you might be surprised how long it takes for the heat to sink in. When you manage to correct be ready to hold in position whilst you cool it down,,,,,

Have fun

Kev

• Like 1

Thanks Kev understand what you mean about the old spring back when it starts to cool down

Will probably go with trying to clamp in place then when cool will have to use Epoxy glue to get it in place and then use lots of clamps until set  :book:

Beefy

• Like 1

Seat. Check. Refreshments, :drink::popcorn: Check. And enjoy!

Like the choice of subjects. Will be watchin with interest. 

For me, hairdryers don't mix with models...

Geoff 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Excellent choice Keith, should be another interesting "Beefy Build". Watch out with hairdryers, i remember melting the windbreak on my 1/200th USS Hornet :blink:

Thanks I remember that one Julian but you still made a great build of that I have that one waiting in the storage area  :whistle:

42 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Seat. Check. Refreshments, :drink::popcorn: Check. And enjoy!

Like the choice of subjects. Will be watchin with interest. 

For me, hairdryers don't mix with models...

Geoff 

Thanks Geoff I have some experience with hairdryers but normally just to get a skin on the silicone on the waves to help with the shaping process

I have to use the dryer sometimes as I have no use for it on myself  :penguin: just have real short hair not lost it altogether yet  :coolio:

Beefy

• Like 1

Beefy - Seaog's build is well worth checking out British PowerBoat Co. 71' 6" Gunboat from Coastal Crafts.

I recall seeing another build on the web for the 77/81 boat where the modeller "sanded" down the considerable resin plug on the underneath of the deck to make it more flexible.  My deck has nearly 0.75 cm of resin, so I'll probably try the same.

Thanks for the heads up about "Coastal craft History Volume 4".  I've had mine delivered and it is Fab!!  Best yet.

Rob

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Beefy - Seaog's build is well worth checking out British PowerBoat Co. 71' 6" Gunboat from Coastal Crafts.

Thanks Rob I have already been reading through this build and that of 81 to try and get some info

I had a similar idea for sanding down the rear face of the decking but in small sections around the required area but I,am a bit unsure this might make the resin to weak when I come to bend it  :shrug:

Hey Kev have you still not got your copy of volume 4 yet this is the next release I,am told due in November

IMG_3665.jpg

Beefy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Hey Kev have you still not got your copy of volume 4 yet this is the next release I,am told due in November

The world has got their copies and your telling me November :fight:

Kev

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, longshanks said:

The world has got their copies and your telling me November :fight:

Kev

:wink:  I think Beefy means The Fairmile B will  be produced as a kit in November Kev.

I bought my Copy on EBay from "Tribal class" - 48 hr delivery.

46 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Thanks Rob I have already been reading through this build and that of 81 to try and get some info

I had a similar idea for sanding down the rear face of the decking but in small sections around the required area but I,am a bit unsure this might make the resin to weak when I come to bend it  :shrug:

IMG_3665.jpg

Beefy

I love that colour scheme!  Beefy - do you mind me asking - what picture host site do you use?  I cant get on Photobucket this morning - my patience is sorely straining with that site:angry:

Rob

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I love that colour scheme!  Beefy - do you mind me asking - what picture host site do you use?  I cant get on Photobucket this morning - my patience is sorely straining with that site:angry:

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Snap :fight:

I have been using a site called postimage for the last couple of month it seams to work a lot better than PB which I also got fed up with but it does have some dodgy adverts that I keep well clear of  :huh:  Honest

Well been busy today but not much to show as forgot to take any photos got a bit to involved with what I was doing Me concentrating  :shrug:

I followed Rob's idea and sanded down the rear of the deck until I got it to about 4mm thickness on the casting block I then left the hull and deck on the radiator with the heating on as the missus was drying some stuff anyway  :rolleyes:

I then mixed up some two part epoxy glue and clamped up the two parts together and nearly ran out of clamps  :wink:

IMG_3668.jpg

Edited by beefy66
add photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

That boogger any going anywhere :rofl:

Any nails ? :wink:

Kev

Erm yes standard 6 inch galvanise. :whistle:

Beefy

• Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 5:15 PM, longshanks said:

That boogger any going anywhere :rofl:

Any nails ? :wink:

Kev

Well you and I were both wrong the little Boogger still had some spring in it 

Pulled away from the hull just as I released the last clamp so I marked out the stern section to be trimmed off and cut before I added more glue and clamped it up again fingers crossed it will be stuck down this time  :shrug:

IMG_3669.jpg

Quite a lump to trim off to fit the transom

IMG_3670.jpg

Beefy

• Like 4

You don't hang around Beefy. You'll have lots of fun with resin, horrible stuff to file, and wearing a face mask my spectacles kept steaming up.

Good luck with it

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Beefy, I have a Coastal Craft Vosper in the stash, so am checking in on this regularly. 

I had a book from the library about the coastal forces, and what a cracking read it was too. I did not know many of the stories that were told so it was all pretty much new to me. It has me tempted to try one soon. Up until then, I knew about builders like Vosper, Fairmile and Thorneycroft, but had not even heard of British Powerboat Co.

Keep up the good work,

Ray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aginvicta said:

You don't hang around Beefy. You'll have lots of fun with resin, horrible stuff to file, and wearing a face mask my spectacles kept steaming up.

Good luck with it

Andy

Yes Andy I have the same problem I was told about working with resin so I take no chances and make sure I wear my PPE just like I do at work

Warning you may get a fright at the next photo  :wink:

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

Hi Beefy, I have a Coastal Craft Vosper in the stash, so am checking in on this regularly. 

I had a book from the library about the coastal forces, and what a cracking read it was too. I did not know many of the stories that were told so it was all pretty much new to me. It has me tempted to try one soon. Up until then, I knew about builders like Vosper, Fairmile and Thorneycroft, but had not even heard of British Powerboat Co.

Keep up the good work,

Ray

Ray these little boats have a soft spot in my heart just something about them I,am learning from this build but will undoubtedly make a right pigs ear of it some time along the line so will try and pass on as much information as I can to help others

You have been warned

Beefy in his modelling PPE

IMG_3672.jpg

• Like 7

Small update I have started cleaning up some of the larger parts while waiting for the hull to set Hopefully  :shrug:

The wheelhouse, bandstand, breakwater and Carley floats

first mistake from me was the small brace plate on the breakwater the very end part went ping but should be able to replace with a small bit of scrap PE fret cut to shape small triangle

IMG_3676.jpg

As you can see some serious amount of resin on the casting plugs and dust everywhere

IMG_3674.jpg

The bandstand base developed a crack but this has been fixed with some glue just me being heavy handed again

IMG_3675.jpg

And I have decided to use some brass wire to replace the plastic rod supplied in the kit for the handrail around the bandstand I think it will be stronger to handle when it comes to gluing the stanchions in place

IMG_3677.jpg

Beefy

• Like 2