Tornado GR4 Afghanistan...

Courageous

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Just gathering up the parts to make 1/72 Tornado GR4/4A in Afghanistan. I believe I have seen photos of GR4's fitted with RAPTOR and TERMA fitted at same time and would like to model one of these. I will be using the Revell GR1 kit with the Freightdog conversion set and would like to know a typical load-out that would be include the RAPTOR and TERMA.

Over to you guys.

Stuart

• Like 1

dmoc-2011-007-159.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see a Paveway IV opposite the RAPTOR; AIRCM pod (TERMA) is, of course, on the left wing (right hand side as you look at it). BOL rails could be fitted with AIM-9/ASRAAM if required.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, XV107 said:

dmoc-2011-007-159.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see a Paveway IV opposite the RAPTOR; AIRCM pod (TERMA) is, of course, on the left wing (right hand side as you look at it). BOL rails could be fitted with AIM-9/ASRAAM if required.

Exactly the photo I was looking at early but not being any kind of stores expert, I didn't know what everything was. What would typically fit on centre? And what's on the stbd outboard wing?

24 minutes ago, Michael Enright said:

Marvellous photograph

Just ordered my GR4, TERMA and RAPTOR bits from Colin at Freightdog for a similar venture.

Michael

Exactly what I was looking at earlier. Model Alliance decals??

Stuart

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Exactly the photo I was looking at early but not being any kind of stores expert, I didn't know what everything was. What would typically fit on centre? And what's on the stbd outboard wing?

The pod on the starboard outboard pylon is a BOZ-107 chaff/flare dispenser.

For operations in Afghanistan and over Iraq/Syria the Tornado would normally carry a Litening III Laser Targeting/Reconnaissance Pod on the forward station of the port under fuselage "shoulder" pylon with a three round Brimstone launcher behind it; the starboard shoulder pylon would normally carry two 500lb Paveway IV Laser Guided Bombs.

The aircraft can be fitted with a shorter centreline pylon between the two shoulder pylons but I'm not sure whether it is still regularly carried - perhaps someone like @Selwyn can give a more knowledgeable answer.

Edited by Richard E

With RAPTOR fitted to the left shoulder, the jet could carry a pair of Paveway IV bombs on the right shoulder. There wouldn't be anything on the centreline.

The other common load for Herrick was LITENING III on the forward left, Brimstone on the rear left and Paveway IV on the forward right and rear right. Again, nothing on the centreline.

Wing stores would be AIRCM on the left outboard, fuel tank and BOL launcher on both inboards and BOZ on the right outboard. No AIM-9s or ASRAAMs carried over Afghanistan in any of the photos I've seen.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

Stuart

Yes, MODEL ALLIANCE 'Operation Telic' Part 1 and UK Air Arm Update 2006-2007 - Part IV,

Michael

• Like 2

Hi Stuart,

Well, perhaps I did, but there were no Litening pods on hand so I missed out on those.

Colin will doubtless get some in and let you know..

Do you want a spare set of the 1/72 Telic decals?

I accidentally ordered too many from Hannants, (further highlighting my computer incompetence as per my failed attempts at photo uploading.)

PM me if you want them with a postal address. No charge of course,

Michael

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:12, Courageous said:

Stuart

OK.

Pylon fit is this:

http://i57.tinypic.com/kdrdcx.jpg

So, on the photo I posted, you have right wing outboard (left as you look at it), and as noted, BOZ107 pod. A near permanent fixutre on the aircraft if carrying countermeasures pods on the outboard pylons; the outboards aren't used to carry weapons.

Right wing, inboard - fuel tank, with a BOL launcher rail on the shoulder; the BOL rail contains countermeasures and now carries AIM-132 ASRAAM (when required) in lieu of the AIM-9 previously carried (when required). In the past, the fuel tanks have been dismounted to carry the ALARM anti-radar weapon (now retired); there are also photos of GR1s carrying Sea Eagle anti-shipping missiles (long retired) and the Storm Shadow cruise missile. I am not aware of the latter two fits being carried on anything other than tests; ALARM was, to begin with, mounted as described during Op Granby in 1991.

Shoulder pylons (left and right) - On the right pylon, a Paveway IV (PWIV) dual-guidance (laser and GPS) bomb, 500lb; on the left, the RAPTOR pod.

As you'll see from the above photo, there are three locations on the long shoulder pylons where stores may be mounted. Paveway IV may be fitted to the foremost and aft-most attachment points. A 1000lb Paveway II (PWII) or Ehnanced PWII (which has GPS guidance as well as laser) can be fitted on the foremost attachment. of the shoulder pylon.  Brimstone missile launchers (maximum of three missiles per launcher) can be fitted in lieu of the Paveway IV, thus giving a possible maximum Brimstone load of 12 missiles.

The centre mounting point on the pylon would be used to attach the 2000lb class Paveway III, Storm Shadow or the RAPTOR pod. It may also carry the smaller of the two fuel tanks in use (i.e. not the 1500 litre tanks first seen on the Tornado F3 and also used on the TGR after 1991). ALARM was also mounted here on the shoulder pylons.

In days of yore, iron bombs (either singly or on a dual mount) would be fitted to the front and aft mounting points of the shoulder pylons.

The forward mounting point on the left shoulder pylon (aircraft, not as you look at it front on) can be used for a targeting pod - now LITENING, but previously TIALD. The Digital Joint Recce Pod can also be carried.

The pylons on the other wing - inboard, as above; outboard either the Sky Shadow ECM pod or the AIRCM pod.

Centreline pylon - empty here, but can be used for a PWII or PWIV. Could also tote an iron bomb if required (see 1991)

Or, in visual form:

AUAB_UNC_20130512_069_046g.jpg

Wing pylons - as already mentioned. Shoulder pylons - right (on aircraft) Paveway IV; left, LITENING forward; Brimstone launcher (with 1 missile) aft.

tornado%20fitted%20with%20paveway%20and%

Here, you see a 31 Sqn GR4 during Op ELLAMY. You can see the centreline Paveway IV. Also note the Sky Shadow pod on the left wing (to address the increased radar frequency threat from the Libyan air defence system) and the fact that the inboard wing pylon shoulder mountings carry (inboard) AIM-132 ASRAAM, while the not-often-seen outboard shoulder mountings are empty - the ALARM could be carried on either inboard or outboard shoulder mountings either in pairs or conjunction with an AIM-9. The pod on the left fuselage shoulder pylon is the LITENING targeting pod.

No LITENINGs at Freightdog?

Try here... (six available at time of posting)

No AIRCM/TERMA at Freightdog?

Try here... (12 available at time of writing)

• Like 2

Hi XV107,

Great photos, great information. Very, very helpful indeed.

Is there a publication that covers such details?

Litening ordered form Hannants.

Thanks,

Michael

Gents can we refrain from posting Airliners.net picturers into threads, they dont like it, it can get the site into trouble; and hence there is a rule to not do it.

If you are interested we have a walkaround of GR4 ZD843 Operational at Kandahar, Afghanistan.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971017-panavia-tornado-gr4-zd843-operational-kandahar-afghanistan/

JUlien

Sorry - didn't see the airliners.net reference along the bottom when I posted it, since when I googled 'tornado fuselage pylons' the shot (which is very familiar and I mistook it for an officially-released one) popped up at about 125%. I simply copied the link, pasted (without reading the dratted thing) and carried on...