1-48 Coastal Command Tamiya Mosquito - FINISHED!

Well the box from a well known online retailer arrived today and it makes me want to start right away!!! In any case I'm starting my thread in preparation.

Very familiar box:

DSC_7544.JPG

Sprues:

DSC_7546.JPG

Extras:

DSC_7545.JPG

What you see here from the top are a brass fret with 3 bladed propblurs and a resin pilot from PJ Productions, with a second one underneath. I'll compare these with the ones that come with the kit and see which I prefer. Then on the second row, Montex masks and and Eduard Zoom cockpit set, finally the Coastal Command Decals.

Can't wait to start but I really need to finish the 1:32 Hurricane IIc diorama first...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

Well, thats a turn up for the books, looks like I've hit an impasse with the Hurricane build in that I need to wait for some decals and matt varnish to arrive before I can continue, so that means I can start this build right away!!!

I used the Montex masks on my Mozzie, I found them very accommodating. I got the set with the insignia masks, I found them a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

A week has gone by and in amongst work on the Hurricane, I've done some on the Mossie, all around the cockpit needless to say:

DSC_7731.JPG

DSC_7732.JPG

These are the pilot figures that come with the kit - I decided to give them a go and if they didn't look good revert to the PJ Productions ones. However they are coming out okay - the faces look a bit odd as they've just had an oil paint wash to pick out the dark areas and still need refining of the features. I've been painting 1:32 scale figures recently which has been handy practice as I hadn't done any figures for a couple of years!

DSC_7733.JPG

The main IP is the Eduard Zoom PE, but the other panels are hand painted. As is the radio gear in the next photo

DSC_7734.JPG

I've used Airscale decal placards and dials here to get a nice effect. The painting is a little crude, particularly on the lower sections but they will be virtually invisible when the canopy is on and its only really noticeable in zoomed in photographic enlargements :)

I'm currently sorting out a small base to support the flying Mossie - going to be flying over water so having a go with some Woodland Scenics Water effets for the sea surface. More on that later...

• Like 4

On 05/05/2017 at 4:30 PM, Ozzy said:

I used the Montex masks on my Mozzie, I found them very accommodating. I got the set with the insignia masks, I found them a lot of fun.

I had a go with the Montex masks yesterday and gave up as it appears they are for the bomber version :(

I ended up making my own masks from tamiya tape and a sharp scalpel...

Progress si far this week, its all coming together very nicely, typical Tamoya kit I guess :)

Anyway to start with, after my comments about the Montex masks, here is my home made-attempt:

DSC_7739.JPG

The fuselage halves went together without too much hassle, but of course I've decided to make things more complicated by having it flying so I need to create a support mount. To do this I used a 5mm acrylic rod and a piece of plastic tube left over from last winter's mammoth 1:200 scale Oil Platform build and along with a convienent open panel in the bottom of the fuselage, it looks like this

DSC_7737.JPG

The tube is held firmly in place by a large dollop of araldite inside the fuselage

DSC_7738.JPG

To be able to access that part of the fusleage I had to cut off the trailing part of the bomb-bay and leave off the rear bulkhead. Since the bomb-bay is going to be closed up anyway, its not a big deal. So with all this, the stand will look like:

DSC_7736.JPG

Which I think will do the job! A day or so later and the putty has dried and been sanded back and the bomb-bay doors added

DSC_7746.JPG

DSC_7747.JPG

Work is being done on the props and spinners

DSC_7745.JPG

The wings are ready to go...

DSC_7748.JPG

and then I added the Woodland Scenics water effects to the base - this photo was taken 24 hours later

DSC_7749.JPG

Once its dried, I'll dry bush some white artits acrylic paint over the tips of the waves to give it a bit more interest. Thats all for now, tonight the wings went on... more later...

• Like 1

Wings and primer on...

DSC_7751.JPG

Can't see it easily in this photo but white primer has been sprayed on wings and near the tail in preparation for invasion stripes! The next one shows it better

DSC_7761.JPG

Here I've masked the outer limits and sprayed XF-2 between to get the base white colour down. Once this is fully dry (ie tomorrow), I'll mask again for the black stripes. in the meantime, rockets have been painted

DSC_7752.JPG

Prop-blurs have been attached and painted

DSC_7753.JPG

Spinners have been painted red

DSC_7760.JPG

and finally for this update, resin exhaust stacks have been painted up and rusted...

DSC_7757.JPG

Now its all about waiting for paint to dry :(

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

Very productive day since posting yesterday... Invasion stripes part 1: tada!

DSC_7778.JPG

Just a few minor touch ups required where the black (XF 69 Nato Black ) seeped under the masking tape. Once all was dry. they were covered over again for the rest of the painting:

DSC_7779.JPG

Then the lower sky and upper extra dark sea grey were sprayed

DSC_7780.JPG

and finally all the masking came off, Invasion stripes Part 2: taaa daaa!

DSC_7781.JPG

DSC_7783.JPG

This time round there was next to no paint seepage apart from one small smear on the underside port wing. I am liking the look of this!!!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

So here we come to the end of this quick (for me) and very enjoyable build. I didn't go too mad on the weathering, just a basic panel line wash and some overall dirt to give it texture, then some specific dirtying up for the engines, exhausts and undercarriage doors.

I also attached the rocket rails, tail antenna and finally the spinners and propburs. The whole thing got a light dusting of Humbrol acrylic matt varnish abd the canopy masks came off and voila!

DSC_7800.JPG

DSC_7796.JPG

DSC_7797.JPG

DSC_7798.JPG

DSC_7799.JPG

DSC_7801.JPG

I was pleased with how the exhausts came out...

DSC_7808.JPG

DSC_7811.JPG

DSC_7809.JPG

DSC_7810.JPG

DSC_7802.JPG

I'll post the best photos in the gallery in a moment. Thanks for looking, its been a fun build and I like how its turned out!

• Like 5