Royal Navy FRADU hawker Hunter FG11

whisky42

Planning to build a 1/72nd scale RN Hawker Hunter FG11 but as far as I can see the only conversion kit was produced by FAA who are no longer in production and that the best kit to use is Revell. Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Maybe a complete scratch build.

The GA.11 (not FG.11), is based upon an F.4 airframe with leading edge dogtooth (as per Mk.6 onwards), no guns and an arrestor hook.  Later aircraft had a Harley Light in the nose.

The Mk.4 had the 100 series Avon so it had the small bore exhaust, the tailcone on these jets is noticeably different to the later F.6 and FGA.9, IIRC, the FAA conversion missed what is a fundamental recognition feature of the GA.11.

I would recommend sourcing an F.4 conversion for your GA.11 however, you don't need to modify the wings of either an F.6 or FGA.9 kit.

The mainwheels of the otherwise fine Revell kit are slightly under in diameter.

Aeroclub made an F.4 conversion and replacement wheels, you could PM John Aero on this site, he is Mr Aeroclub, he may still have the Hunter bits, but maybe not.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 1903flight said:

That has the small bore jet pipe...

You'd probably get more info if this was posted in the Cold War forum, I only happened upon this thread because it came up in new content, I very rarely visit the Modern forum.

Ask the Mod's to move it there for you.

Edited by Wez

There is an Airkit conversion  AIR064 available on that other site (401320722682). Don't know how good or accurate it is.

I notice that there is also a PJ PRODUCTIONS 1/72 721108 HAWKER HUNTER CONVERSIONS set for sale from the same source  (40132072288)

• Like 1